Sign in to follow this  
gr82be

Nice article on Gus

Recommended Posts





Gus has come a looonnnggg way from the days of getting Dyer to follow him to Arky State after seeing first hand what kind of issues he has, letting Jermaine Whitehead stay on the team after his episode, and making Duke Williams do barnyard work. There was an article a few years ago I remember reading that said Gus apparently puts no value on team chemistry or character with who he brings into the program and touched on how that can affect a team's ceiling. He has improved greatly in this regard and I hope it continues to yield positive results for him and for Auburn!

It should be noted he doesn't necessarily have the kids on a short leash and gives them ample opportunity to straighten out and if they don't get their act together he cuts them loose. 

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no complaints with discipline. I don’t know that he let anyone have too much rope. At times I thought he cut it too quick, then later admitted he was probably right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If we’re kicking off all these players, why aren’t we able to deter players from getting in trouble?

Somethings are better learned through experience.  But who is to say some haven't been deterred?  I think the other players see that if you mess up you might get another chance but if you mess that chance up you're probably gone.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Somethings are better learned through experience.  But who is to say some haven't been deterred?  I think the other players see that if you mess up you might get another chance but if you mess that chance up you're probably gone.  

Absolutely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure it is fair to say that Gus didn't care about character at first. I think it was more that he was naive and trusting and did not see the character flaws in those kids until it became a glaring problem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we as fans focus a lot on wins-loses, but I think this is one of those items in a coaches contract that we don't see but is there and part of what he is judged on...and one of the reasons that JJ was keeping him around.  I do believe Gus was hired to be a long term (10-15 year coach) as opposed to being the quick hire to be replaced on 5 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Next up- Pettway

This is what I’ve been wondering...how is he still on the team?! If he’s in trouble again, as much as people say, how come he hasn’t been let go? He wouldn’t kick off Davis and White, but keep Pettway if they are all continuously getting in trouble. Of course, I totally have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

This is what I’ve been wondering...how is he still on the team?! If he’s in trouble again, as much as people say, how come he hasn’t been let go? He wouldn’t kick off Davis and White, but keep Pettway if they are all continuously getting in trouble. Of course, I totally have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. 

I've been wondering the same thing but just as you stated, I have no idea of details either. It does seem to me though that Gus tries to give his players second and third chances but the deal breaker is when they turn on their teammates. Jovan and D'haquille come to mind with that. That's where Gus seems to draw the hard line. I think the players love that about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I've been wondering the same thing but just as you stated, I have no idea of details either. It does seem to me though that Gus tries to give his players second and third chances but the deal breaker is when they turn on their teammates. Jovan and D'haquille come to mind with that. That's where Gus seems to draw the hard line. I think the players love that about him. 

He does give them chances...I don’t think Davis or white turned on the team though like the other guys. Still bummed about Davis. Could he come back if he got his act in check? Are there rules for that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Somethings are better learned through experience.  But who is to say some haven't been deterred?  I think the other players see that if you mess up you might get another chance but if you mess that chance up you're probably gone.  

Experience is a harsh mistress and a strict teacher, which I continue to learn.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As everyone else has said, well put.  And I am really glad he is our head coach for these very reasons.  This article was a great way to start the morning.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Good article that reflects well on how Gus is growing as a HC.  

wde

Agreed. That is one thing I will give Gus a heap of praise over. Keeping the kids focused and weeding out the bad apples.  No matter what they go through the kids seem to aspire to keep fighting on through it. That makes a big difference. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you stop and look at the good young men on this team, the number is overwhelming. Often we want to focus on the small handful of troubled athletes and think that the program is going to hell in a hand basket and that Gus cannot control his team.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The 99% young men on this team do the right thing and work hard to put a superior product in the classroom and on the field. Having 99% of your team walking the straight and narrow and keeping their noses clean is something to bring to the forefront without any hesitation. Gus is running a clean and vibrant program that is succeeding where it should be. Soon that 1% will shrink to hopefully one day 0%.

Keep up the good work Gus and I will support you and thank you for keeping Auburn football real in a way that will bring championships in the future being done the right way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 9:12 PM, AidiAU said:

He does give them chances...I don’t think Davis or white turned on the team though like the other guys. Still bummed about Davis. Could he come back if he got his act in check? Are there rules for that? 

We had a TE a few years back was removed from the team, made it back, and was removed again. So can they? Looks like it. Would it happen again? Most likely not

 

Former Auburn tight end Ricky Parks, one of the top recruits at his position coming out of high school, had what can only be described as a troublesome career with the Tigers. After redshirting in 2012, Parks was booted from the program on the first day of fall camp in 2013 for what head coach Malzahn called a “violation of team rules”. He suited up for Northeast Mississippi Community College instead, then transferred back to Auburn for the spring semester. But as the Tigers are gearing up for the start of the 2014 campaign, Parks, again, won’t be with the program for undisclosed reasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/thespun.com/sec/auburn/ex-auburn-te-ricky-parks-sarcastically-tweets-about-programs-zero-tolerance-rule-after-nick-marshall-citation/amp

Edited by Auburn2Eugene
Added link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than Cam, Trey Matthews is someone who took advantage of his second chance of whom I am proud of. He earned his master's degree, became a leader on this team and will become a NFL Safety (I imagine a cleaner version of Harriston from NE). There are others but he is a great example of "learning from a mistake" and growing from it. War Eagle Trigga Trey!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 7:42 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

I am not sure it is fair to say that Gus didn't care about character at first. I think it was more that he was naive and trusting and did not see the character flaws in those kids until it became a glaring problem.

In many cases, he also had other coaches on his staff lobbying for him not to send the players packing. One of the most vocal of those coaches is now coaching receivers at Texas A&M. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do appreciate this article because it does bring up the fact that Malzahn has done some things very well.  We get caught up on a very short number of things he has struggled with (I am one of them - and I'm not saying we shouldn't.  If a guy gets paid 5-7mil a year he ought to be really dang good at his job!), but we often overlook several things that he has done very well.

For starters, Malzahn seems to be a man of integrity.  A very brief look at Hollywood, Politics, Sports, and even our own AD lets you know how truly rare that is.  He has done a great job keeping guys on task.  He has taken care of discipline issues in a good way.  Our guys stay motivated and focused.  There have been some "down times" but our guys bounce right back up.  That's good leadership.  Our guys have done very well in the classroom.  They represent AU well all over the world through mission trips and local service projects.  He has recruited well.  He looks for good guys who possess these qualities as well as exceptional talent.  He has made some very good personnel decisions with coaches, off the field assistants, and even some tough player personnel decisions (as alluded to in the article).

So thank you Coach Malzahn!  We're still gonna give you "constructive criticism" when it seems like coaching stubbornness is keeping us from reaching our full potential.  But you know that it is because we our passionate about our University and our football team.  We love Auburn and we love you!  We're family!  War Eagle! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

I am not sure it is fair to say that Gus didn't care about character at first. I think it was more that he was naive and trusting and did not see the character flaws in those kids until it became a glaring problem.

That's called experience.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2017 at 10:34 PM, doc4aday said:

If you stop and look at the good young men on this team, the number is overwhelming. Often we want to focus on the small handful of troubled athletes and think that the program is going to hell in a hand basket and that Gus cannot control his team.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The 99% young men on this team do the right thing and work hard to put a superior product in the classroom and on the field. Having 99% of your team walking the straight and narrow and keeping their noses clean is something to bring to the forefront without any hesitation. Gus is running a clean and vibrant program that is succeeding where it should be. Soon that 1% will shrink to hopefully one day 0%.

Keep up the good work Gus and I will support you and thank you for keeping Auburn football real in a way that will bring championships in the future being done the right way!

That's called culture. ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this