Nice article on Gus

gr82be

By Joseph Goodman

One of the biggest college football stories in 2017 was Auburn's return to national prominence. It's worth noting that Gus Malzahn did it the right way.

In the SEC, there are always examples of prominent coaches breaking the rules, cutting corners and compromising their integrity for fast-tracked wins. Former Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze is the latest coach to sell out for quick success, but other coaches have run their programs into the ground with willful disregard for discipline (for some reason, this happens a lot at Florida).

Malzahn, on the other hand, has made several high-profile decisions at Auburn over the last few years to uphold a standard of accountability among his players. At the time of each incident, Malzahn's difficult choices cast doubt on his ability to lead. In the long run, though, kicking off key players who couldn't follow the rules appears to have established a sustainable team culture.

This season, Malzahn won -- and won big -- despite removing from the team a receiver with great potential (Kyle Davis), and the team's backup quarterback (Sean White). Did Malzahn win this season despite making these decisions or because of these decisions? When it comes to measuring coaching intangibles, there might be no greater question.

The answer is simple. He won because of them.

Now, I'm not saying Malzahn is some kind of saint. This is, after all, the SEC we're talking about here. But Malzahn has invested in the accountability of his football players, and it has established a strong baseline of integrity within Auburn's football team. That integrity is translating to wins. On offense, running back Kerryon Johnson and receiver Ryan Davis lead by example on and off the field, according to their teammates, and they helped rally the team after that terrible loss to LSU.

Just before the road game against LSU, Malzahn was forced to kick Davis, the talented former Auburn receiver, off the team for breaking team rules. Previously, Davis was suspended from the team during the offseason. Auburn could have imploded after self destructing against LSU. Instead, the Tigers rallied for wins against two top-ranked teams. That doesn't happen without a strong core of players who believe in a coach. Malzahn has built that culture, and stayed true to it, since he arrived at Auburn, and now it's beginning to pay dividends for both Auburn University and himself.

In a time when Alabama's Nick Saban has dominated the SEC in a way only rivaled by Paul Bryant, Malzahn's team policies for rule breaking is even more commendable. The pressure at Auburn to compete with Saban is tremendous, and unlike anything else in college football.

It is clear now that Malzahn realized early on there was no easy -- or easier -- path to competing with Saban. The only way to do it was establishing a strong culture and building from that.

So, in 2015, Malzahn made the tough decision of kicking off his best receiver (Duke Williams) before the season. In the end, Williams was a team cancer and Malzahn made the right call.

In 2016, it was almost the exact same scenario when Malzahn kicked off the team's best running back, Jovon Robinson. Like Williams, Robinson had major off-the-field problems.

This season, Davis and White were removed from the team after being given multiple opportunities to rehabilitate themselves.

Auburn has taken hit after hit this year for its athletic department, but the bedrock of the operation -- the football team -- appears to be strong thanks to Malzahn, and not despite him. For that reason, and under those special circumstances, he's worth every penny of his new contract.

Gus has come a looonnnggg way from the days of getting Dyer to follow him to Arky State after seeing first hand what kind of issues he has, letting Jermaine Whitehead stay on the team after his episode, and making Duke Williams do barnyard work. There was an article a few years ago I remember reading that said Gus apparently puts no value on team chemistry or character with who he brings into the program and touched on how that can affect a team's ceiling. He has improved greatly in this regard and I hope it continues to yield positive results for him and for Auburn!

It should be noted he doesn't necessarily have the kids on a short leash and gives them ample opportunity to straighten out and if they don't get their act together he cuts them loose. 

I have no complaints with discipline. I don’t know that he let anyone have too much rope. At times I thought he cut it too quick, then later admitted he was probably right. 

43 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If we’re kicking off all these players, why aren’t we able to deter players from getting in trouble?

Somethings are better learned through experience.  But who is to say some haven't been deterred?  I think the other players see that if you mess up you might get another chance but if you mess that chance up you're probably gone.  

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Somethings are better learned through experience.  But who is to say some haven't been deterred?  I think the other players see that if you mess up you might get another chance but if you mess that chance up you're probably gone.  

Absolutely. 

I am not sure it is fair to say that Gus didn't care about character at first. I think it was more that he was naive and trusting and did not see the character flaws in those kids until it became a glaring problem.

I know we as fans focus a lot on wins-loses, but I think this is one of those items in a coaches contract that we don't see but is there and part of what he is judged on...and one of the reasons that JJ was keeping him around.  I do believe Gus was hired to be a long term (10-15 year coach) as opposed to being the quick hire to be replaced on 5 years.

4 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Next up- Pettway

This is what I’ve been wondering...how is he still on the team?! If he’s in trouble again, as much as people say, how come he hasn’t been let go? He wouldn’t kick off Davis and White, but keep Pettway if they are all continuously getting in trouble. Of course, I totally have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. 

10 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

This is what I’ve been wondering...how is he still on the team?! If he’s in trouble again, as much as people say, how come he hasn’t been let go? He wouldn’t kick off Davis and White, but keep Pettway if they are all continuously getting in trouble. Of course, I totally have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. 

I've been wondering the same thing but just as you stated, I have no idea of details either. It does seem to me though that Gus tries to give his players second and third chances but the deal breaker is when they turn on their teammates. Jovan and D'haquille come to mind with that. That's where Gus seems to draw the hard line. I think the players love that about him. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I've been wondering the same thing but just as you stated, I have no idea of details either. It does seem to me though that Gus tries to give his players second and third chances but the deal breaker is when they turn on their teammates. Jovan and D'haquille come to mind with that. That's where Gus seems to draw the hard line. I think the players love that about him. 

He does give them chances...I don’t think Davis or white turned on the team though like the other guys. Still bummed about Davis. Could he come back if he got his act in check? Are there rules for that? 

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Experience is a harsh mistress and a strict teacher, which I continue to learn.

As everyone else has said, well put.  And I am really glad he is our head coach for these very reasons.  This article was a great way to start the morning.  

6 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Good article that reflects well on how Gus is growing as a HC.  

wde

Agreed. That is one thing I will give Gus a heap of praise over. Keeping the kids focused and weeding out the bad apples.  No matter what they go through the kids seem to aspire to keep fighting on through it. That makes a big difference. 

If you stop and look at the good young men on this team, the number is overwhelming. Often we want to focus on the small handful of troubled athletes and think that the program is going to hell in a hand basket and that Gus cannot control his team.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The 99% young men on this team do the right thing and work hard to put a superior product in the classroom and on the field. Having 99% of your team walking the straight and narrow and keeping their noses clean is something to bring to the forefront without any hesitation. Gus is running a clean and vibrant program that is succeeding where it should be. Soon that 1% will shrink to hopefully one day 0%.

Keep up the good work Gus and I will support you and thank you for keeping Auburn football real in a way that will bring championships in the future being done the right way!

On 12/15/2017 at 9:12 PM, AidiAU said:

He does give them chances...I don’t think Davis or white turned on the team though like the other guys. Still bummed about Davis. Could he come back if he got his act in check? Are there rules for that? 

We had a TE a few years back was removed from the team, made it back, and was removed again. So can they? Looks like it. Would it happen again? Most likely not

Former Auburn tight end Ricky Parks, one of the top recruits at his position coming out of high school, had what can only be described as a troublesome career with the Tigers. After redshirting in 2012, Parks was booted from the program on the first day of fall camp in 2013 for what head coach Malzahn called a “violation of team rules”. He suited up for Northeast Mississippi Community College instead, then transferred back to Auburn for the spring semester. But as the Tigers are gearing up for the start of the 2014 campaign, Parks, again, won’t be with the program for undisclosed reasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/thespun.com/sec/auburn/ex-auburn-te-ricky-parks-sarcastically-tweets-about-programs-zero-tolerance-rule-after-nick-marshall-citation/amp

Other than Cam, Trey Matthews is someone who took advantage of his second chance of whom I am proud of. He earned his master's degree, became a leader on this team and will become a NFL Safety (I imagine a cleaner version of Harriston from NE). There are others but he is a great example of "learning from a mistake" and growing from it. War Eagle Trigga Trey!

On 12/15/2017 at 7:42 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

I am not sure it is fair to say that Gus didn't care about character at first. I think it was more that he was naive and trusting and did not see the character flaws in those kids until it became a glaring problem.

In many cases, he also had other coaches on his staff lobbying for him not to send the players packing. One of the most vocal of those coaches is now coaching receivers at Texas A&M. 

I do appreciate this article because it does bring up the fact that Malzahn has done some things very well.  We get caught up on a very short number of things he has struggled with (I am one of them - and I'm not saying we shouldn't.  If a guy gets paid 5-7mil a year he ought to be really dang good at his job!), but we often overlook several things that he has done very well.

For starters, Malzahn seems to be a man of integrity.  A very brief look at Hollywood, Politics, Sports, and even our own AD lets you know how truly rare that is.  He has done a great job keeping guys on task.  He has taken care of discipline issues in a good way.  Our guys stay motivated and focused.  There have been some "down times" but our guys bounce right back up.  That's good leadership.  Our guys have done very well in the classroom.  They represent AU well all over the world through mission trips and local service projects.  He has recruited well.  He looks for good guys who possess these qualities as well as exceptional talent.  He has made some very good personnel decisions with coaches, off the field assistants, and even some tough player personnel decisions (as alluded to in the article).

So thank you Coach Malzahn!  We're still gonna give you "constructive criticism" when it seems like coaching stubbornness is keeping us from reaching our full potential.  But you know that it is because we our passionate about our University and our football team.  We love Auburn and we love you!  We're family!  War Eagle! 

On 12/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

That's called experience.  ;)

On 12/16/2017 at 10:34 PM, doc4aday said:

If you stop and look at the good young men on this team, the number is overwhelming. Often we want to focus on the small handful of troubled athletes and think that the program is going to hell in a hand basket and that Gus cannot control his team.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The 99% young men on this team do the right thing and work hard to put a superior product in the classroom and on the field. Having 99% of your team walking the straight and narrow and keeping their noses clean is something to bring to the forefront without any hesitation. Gus is running a clean and vibrant program that is succeeding where it should be. Soon that 1% will shrink to hopefully one day 0%.

Keep up the good work Gus and I will support you and thank you for keeping Auburn football real in a way that will bring championships in the future being done the right way!

That's called culture. ;)

Archived