Middle Tennessee State - Preview / Review

JwgreDeux

When our only complaints are playing a stinker of a half and only beating a 13 RPI team by 6 on a neutral court, it's a new era of AU basketball.  WDE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

When our only complaints are playing a stinker of a half and only beating a 13 RPI team by 6 on a neutral court, it's a new era of AU basketball.  WDE

yeah, it is and i love it although the dumbassery makes me crazy

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

had they not had 4 foul out, this blown 25 point lead would have been a loss

Hey...they chose to play that way......refs did not affect the game.....MTU fouls and some good foul shooting by AU....

• Like 1

Just now, doverstutts said:

yeah, it is and i love it although the dumbassery makes me crazy

Agreed, but I much prefer the 2017 version cursing Ws that never get within two possessions of actually losing than cursing the 2006-2016 Ls that never got within two possessions of winning.  Young team, lots of bonehead moves to come I'm sure, but boy doesn't 9-1 feel fun?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

25 point leads dwindling down to 5 is a concern. It’s a game of swings but you have to stop the bleeding little quicker than that.

Last concern is Dunbar taking off his jersey on the floor after the Double technical. That was a bad look while we were up 23! 

Edited by aujeff11

Like @AU64 said basketball is a game of streaks, we weathered the storm and beat a very solid team.  Our free throw shooting is vastly improved as well as our defense and rebounding.  There is a lot to be happy about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

we weathered the storm

The “storm” was self-inflicted. Other than their last gasp threes that started to fall at the end, they played just as sloppy as we did, even after the double tech. We might have lost momentum but they never completely seized momentum thanks to their own turnovers. But yet the game still ended up closeZ That’s concerning. Again, our leaders have to learn to stop the bleeding quicker. Basketball is a game of swings. Basketball is not a game of 6-20 runs. Those runs are dangerous. We did that to them and they couldn’t fully recover. Win looks good on paper. We need to see how their team plays going forward. 

Edited by aujeff11

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Last year's team would've lost this one. Tangible progress from these players, I like it. 

I like that our tangibles are looking better as well. FT percentage and rebounding numbers are a lot better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I like that our tangibles are looking better as well. FT percentage and rebounding numbers are a lot better. 

Heck yea. And we are still really young. We can be a problem if we get Wiley back... And while I've read it's unlikely Danjel comes back I would gladly take Purifoy eating into Dunbar's minutes

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Heck yea. And we are still really young. We can be a problem if we get Wiley back... And while I've read it's unlikely Danjel comes back I would gladly take Purifoy eating into Dunbar's minutes

If Wiley gets back this season, man, watch out. I was excited most of the night just because we looked like a basketball team for once.

• Like 2

Free throws killed us in so many games past year and this year we’ve done such a great job of taking the free points. Also from the games ive watched and listened to the defensive effort seems to have gotten much better. Keep it goin guys! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, auburnphan said:

...we weathered the storm...

Still absolutely furious with Malik. He had a lot to do with kick-starting that rally. Have some composure, young man. 

Edited by Bigbens42

Really great win. MTSU is a very good team and we absolutely dominated them in the first half. They rallied as you would expect a good team like that to do but we managed to hold them off. We couldn't seem to find our shot in the second half and made some poor shots but give MTSU some credit. They play good solid defense. I was very impressed with our team defense. Our bigs really played hard and took away their size advantage. Crazy how successful Murray was at limiting their best player. Guy plays way bigger then he really is. I don't know if this is a NCAA team but we should compete with everyone we play

• Like 1

On 12/16/2017 at 7:33 PM, aujeff11 said:

The “storm” was self-inflicted. Other than their last gasp threes that started to fall at the end, they played just as sloppy as we did, even after the double tech. We might have lost momentum but they never completely seized momentum thanks to their own turnovers. But yet the game still ended up closeZ That’s concerning. Again, our leaders have to learn to stop the bleeding quicker. Basketball is a game of swings. Basketball is not a game of 6-20 runs. Those runs are dangerous. We did that to them and they couldn’t fully recover. Win looks good on paper. We need to see how their team plays going forward. 

They also did that to us to come back. Not justifying that we should only bank on those big runs, just trying to show that the big runs cancelled each other out and our guys proved to be the better and more composed team in this game. MTSU really hasn't played very sloppy all year, and usually, an indicator of sloppy play is the quality of opponent you are facing. This win is a super positive in my book, and not many things went wrong from a sense of the overall game flow. Couple self inflicted things but 1.) every team does it 2.) We made just as many good, heady plays and passes that we did mistakes and gaffs. 

On 12/16/2017 at 7:00 PM, aujeff11 said:

If Wiley gets back this season, man, watch out. I was excited most of the night just because we looked like a basketball team for once.

Any indication on when Wiley will return?

OP updated. Lessons to be learned, but a great win. Enjoy the W.