Honest question about the team...

Mid Atlantic Tiger

They seem to fall apart frequently in the second half of games.  Not complaining, just kinda looking at the resume and wondering aloud.

Would a good team just need to weather the first half of a game, and know that they can out score Auburn in the second half handily?  What happens to the defense in the second half of games?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen

3 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

They seem to fall apart frequently in the second half of games.  Not complaining, just kinda looking at the resume and wondering aloud.

Would a good team just need to weather the first half of a game, and know that they can out score Auburn in the second half handily?  What happens to the defense in the second half of games?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen

In this game at least you might consider that a very good team MTU played like crap for half a ball game and then got their act together.....they were a much higher ranked team that AU and if you look at their season thus far, they were not going to miss all those 3s for an entire ballgame

Just now, AU64 said:

In this game at least you might consider that a very good team MTU played like crap for half a ball game and then got their act together.....they were a much higher ranked team that AU and if you look at their season thus far, they were not going to miss all those 3s for an entire ballgame

That is true.  Basketball is streaky and all about momentum.  I am so used to watching UVA and other ACC teams that I really only get to listen to Auburn, so I don't know what they look like in a game (except when I see highlights on Youtube).  And yep, MTSU is a very solid team, and I didn't think of them playing a crappy first half.  I think each team's opponent had something to do with each other's crappy play, but still, this is a concern as I watch Auburn run out to big first half leads then crumble in the second half the last couple of years.  

Is that a depth problem, especially with Wiley and Purifoy gone?

1 minute ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

That is true.  Basketball is streaky and all about momentum.  I am so used to watching UVA and other ACC teams that I really only get to listen to Auburn, so I don't know what they look like in a game (except when I see highlights on Youtube).  And yep, MTSU is a very solid team, and I didn't think of them playing a crappy first half.  I think each team's opponent had something to do with each other's crappy play, but still, this is a concern as I watch Auburn run out to big first half leads then crumble in the second half the last couple of years.  

Probably a factor and did not help that Dunbar got tossed....6'-8 and needed him on the boards. 

But I watch a lot of ACC and it's a different style.....more elegant to me.....just about every SEC basketball game looks like work....nothing generally looks smooth and turnovers and unwise play drives me nuts. . 

53 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

True...I over-spoke there but they are a team of gunners and missed a lot of the shots in the first half that they started hitting later on....and AU's guys were busting it on defense too....got good rebounds and loose balls.     As you noted, the energy level diminished about the same time the MTSU guys found their shooting touch.   

A nice win though huh...? 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

True...I over-spoke there but they are a team of gunners and missed a lot of the shots in the first half that they started hitting later on....and AU's guys were busting it on defense too....got good rebounds and loose balls.     As you noted, the energy level diminished about the same time the MTSU guys found their shooting touch.   

A nice win though huh...? 

Yeppers!  Considering where this program was before Pearl...And what is neat are the ACC guys up here taking notice of what he is doing and how the Program is progressing.

Nice being 9-1 at this point

I agree with everything being said so far. Another point is that AU's roster played 4 upperclassmen: Spencer, Brown, and 2 transfers, 1 of which got tossed. We're still a young team; MTSU is an upperclassmen heavy team that didn't panic and just kept chipping away. That's probably the best we can hope for this year against good teams: run out to an early lead and hold on for dear life in the 2nd halves.

9 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I agree with everything being said so far. Another point is that AU's roster played 4 upperclassmen: Spencer, Brown, and 2 transfers, 1 of which got tossed. We're still a young team; MTSU is an upperclassmen heavy team that didn't panic and just kept chipping away. That's probably the best we can hope for this year against good teams: run out to an early lead and hold on for dear life in the 2nd halves.

That can be hard on the nerves but the wins are more appreciated perhaps.

It wasn't so much a let down of defense it was a let down on Offense. An awful lot of Middle Tenn. scores were after ill advised shots allowing them out on the break then add a few more 3's.  Our kids played tough D the whole game and worked hard the whole game. Also Middle Tenn finally started to take advantage of their size in the paint as our players got tired they were a step slower in getting around the players in the Post allowing the pass to get to them.

While I would love to see a runaway game stay that way till the end that is not likely against a very good team like middle Tenn.

We lose our lead, or let it dwindle by taking quick 3s, thats what has let these teams get back in the game. When youre up by 20+, get to the front court, pass it around and find a high % shot. 

1 minute ago, Auhud08 said:

We lose our lead, or let it dwindle by taking quick 3s, thats what has let these teams get back in the game. When youre up by 20+, get to the front court, pass it around and find a high % shot. 

I couldn't agree more but look how young these kids are and how hard they play they will get smarter and better. This was great game as they found a way to hold on and win. They will learn from this. They did a decent job inside against a much bigger team and won the rebound battle again.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I couldn't agree more but look how young these kids are and how hard they play they will get smarter and better. This was great game as they found a way to hold on and win. They will learn from this. They did a decent job inside against a much bigger team and won the rebound battle again.

Right, its easy to say from the stands, much harder to do on the court in the midst of a game

It seemed to me that when we were up by 25, our offense went into a burn the clock mode which included 25 seconds of stand around followed by throw up a shot. This led to quick outs for the MTSUers. The stand around mode killed our momentum.  Appeared to me we needed to burn some clock while working for the shot and still moving.  I'm real impressed with our depth.  They never skipped a beat when subbing in.  And what a joy to have confidence in our FT shooting at the end.

You're up by 25.  What in the world could you have to mouth off about and kill our momentum?

5 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Yes, It was stated that MTSU has 11 Jrs or Srs on that team.

They will do some serious damage this year and make us look good in the process.

Kermit Davis apparently does not bother much with training HS kids.....likes to get JUCOs and transfers and seems to always have a more experienced team than you might expect to find at a school like that. 

Need to do a better job of PROTECTING the ball...way too many times we make silly passes....Also need to become aware of the game situation...take too many foolish and wild shots when we're up instead of playing for a better shot...

Only a few of them (HERON) are students of the game, most are just fans of the game and are concerned with their stats....

I still question our overall defense schemes and intensity throughout the games....I also would like to see us offensively work the ball inside more, than pass it out for the shot...

But happy with the start

54 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

Need to do a better job of PROTECTING the ball...way too many times we make silly passes....Also need to become aware of the game situation...take too many foolish and wild shots when we're up instead of playing for a better shot...

Only a few of them (HERON) are students of the game, most are just fans of the game and are concerned with their stats....

I still question our overall defense schemes and intensity throughout the games....I also would like to see us offensively work the ball inside more, than pass it out for the shot...

But happy with the start

I love the idea of passing inside then going outside but the problem with that strategy is you have to have a big man down low that requires a double team. Without Wiley we don't have that. In the case of our team it has to be dribbled inside then passed out or fed to another player inside when the defense reacts.

THere were numerous times during the game that spencer provided himself as an easy target down low.  He had position and a quick pass was there.

my impression was he was more decoy than option.  They need to feed him more often.  I’d like to see if he can manufacture more offense from set plays.

he had a little baby hook at the beginning of last season that was obvious they had worked on off season.  Guess he lost it after injury?  I’d like to see him get a few chances.  If he produces 8 points a game then our first 9 will all be producing.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I love the idea of passing inside then going outside but the problem with that strategy is you have to have a big man down low that requires a double team. Without Wiley we don't have that. In the case of our team it has to be dribbled inside then passed out or fed to another player inside when the defense reacts.

Lots of teams get by without a 7 footer....just have to adapt to what we have..  Dunbar leaving was a turning point and from BP's post game comments he was not at all happy with him getting those fouls.   

JMO but would be nice if Spencer were a bit more aggressive with the ball.....only 21 FG attempts this season...a team low among regulars. Now maybe BP does not want him shooting but he seems to get the ball inside frequently enough and is hitting about 60%.   Just wondering. 

As an aside, I've read, last week I think, that AU had out-rebounded every opponent to that point in time.  Any one know if that is true (or still true), and could anyone point me to statistics that report this.  AU64, know you have helped me find this type data before.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, AUB1974 said:

As an aside, I've read, last week I think, that AU had out-rebounded every opponent to that point in time.  Any one know if that is true (or still true), and could anyone point me to statistics that report this.  AU64, know you have helped me find this type data before.  Thanks.

It is still true. Out-rebounded Middle 31 -28:wareagle:

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Lots of teams get by without a 7 footer....just have to adapt to what we have..  Dunbar leaving was a turning point and from BP's post game comments he was not at all happy with him getting those fouls.   

JMO but would be nice if Spencer were a bit more aggressive with the ball.....only 21 FG attempts this season...a team low among regulars. Now maybe BP does not want him shooting but he seems to get the ball inside frequently enough and is hitting about 60%.   Just wondering. 

I agree that is why I said instead of trying to Post Down low to a player who doesn't score that way and pass out we can do the same thing with a dribble drive and pass out which we have been doing.

If Wiley comes back then we can add one more facet to our Offense. The other advantage of a big man who can score from the post is when the O goes stagnant which it does for every team it is a great way to settle team down and get O going again.

Just finished watching the game and there was nothing about the second half I didn't like other than Dunbar getting tossed. AU was in control the entire time. MTSU hit several threes with AU guys in their face. They are a good team and did what they had to to get back into it a bit, but even though it got to 5 points, AU was cool and in control of themselves the entire time. Not a lick of panic from anyone apart from a couple of bad shots. 

Great win.

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree that is why I said instead of trying to Post Down low to a player who doesn't score that way and pass out we can do the same thing with a dribble drive and pass out which we have been doing.

If Wiley comes back then we can add one more facet to our Offense. The other advantage of a big man who can score from the post is when the O goes stagnant which it does for every team it is a great way to settle team down and get O going again.

Murray is our  best scoring threat in the post. He can post at the high post or short corner and be effective. He hasn’t shown a high level of kick out ability, but certainly could be emphasized if desired. 

Dribble drives can also be effective as you mentioned. 

I would look to see us post Okele more in the coming games. 

Archived