Natural Gas fireplace insert valves...DIYers help

alexava

This is the first time to mess with one. been searching web. not much info on my specific problem. I did follow troubleshooting suggestions and ended up buying an 11$ thermopile. realized that was not the problem. the pilot flame is too big and not touching the thermopile enough to generate the needed millivolts to open the main valve. The pilot adjustment screw can be screwed all the way in or out with no effect on the size of the pilot flame(this is the problem no other soul on the interwebs have ever mentioned) So i will now dump 130$ on a new valve unless i find some advice in an unexpected place like this. 

12 hours ago, alexava said:

This is the first time to mess with one. been searching web. not much info on my specific problem. I did follow troubleshooting suggestions and ended up buying an 11$ thermopile. realized that was not the problem. the pilot flame is too big and not touching the thermopile enough to generate the needed millivolts to open the main valve. The pilot adjustment screw can be screwed all the way in or out with no effect on the size of the pilot flame(this is the problem no other soul on the interwebs have ever mentioned) So i will now dump 130$ on a new valve unless i find some advice in an unexpected place like this. 

Get professional help before you hurt yourself. I have found gas appliances with pilot flames can be hazardous if not installed and operated correctly. ??

Not going to hurt myself but thanks. Quite sure I need a new valve. The utilities department gives water heaters and other appliances fee for people to use gas. Not sure if it applies to fireplace inserts. I’ll call tomorrow. 

Archived