Chuma and Davion

AuburnNTexas

Two new players I was very impressed with last night were Chuma and Davion.

Chuma has a great body 6'8" and some meat on him. He has a better stroke than I expected not only did his three shots go in his form was really good. I loved the way he went to the basket with the little finger roll as the announcer said last night that is a pro move ala the Ice Man. I expect to see his PT go up as the year goes on.

Davion Mitchell has long arms and fast hands he bothered the dribbler when he was on them. He knocked away a bunch of balls he has the potential to be a lockdown defender outside. He likes the three a little to much and needs to drive more and go to the rack or pass out or ball fake on the three and then go around defender and pull up for a mid-range jumper.  He needs to make some of the same adjustments Harper has made as a PG in looking for his teammates more and then taking it to the rack for a pass a shot or time on the FT line. As well as Harper and Brown are playing it will be hard for him to get more PT but as we play bigger Guards in the SEC he could be the defensive answer.

I've been impressed with both this season. I wasn't sure what to expect from Chuma this season. I thought, based on some of his highlights, he'd be a little too finesse at this level to start and would have an adjustment period that might've taken most of this season. But his play and the praise he received at the U19 camp this summer had me hopeful that I was off. And to this point, he's shown what I thought of him in HS wasn't the case. He's been physical, positions himself well, plays pretty soundly and works hard. He still has his moments where he's hesitant on the offensive end, but I've been happy with his contribution. Need him to continue to play well.

Davion is still learning, but he definitely has some tools that will help us this year. He has a motor, he's aggressive, he's gritty. IMO he's what we need in a backup PG. Like you, I'd like to see a little more penetration and distribution, but I like how he hustles and works on the defensive end. That was something this team lacked last year, and we got a lot of it from the four new additions to this team. 

35 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I've been impressed with both this season. I wasn't sure what to expect from Chuma this season. I thought, based on some of his highlights, he'd be a little too finesse at this level to start and would have an adjustment period that might've taken most of this season. But his play and the praise he received at the U19 camp this summer had me hopeful that I was off. And to this point, he's shown what I thought of him in HS wasn't the case. He's been physical, positions himself well, plays pretty soundly and works hard. He still has his moments where he's hesitant on the offensive end, but I've been happy with his contribution. Need him to continue to play well.

Davion is still learning, but he definitely has some tools that will help us this year. He has a motor, he's aggressive, he's gritty. IMO he's what we need in a backup PG. Like you, I'd like to see a little more penetration and distribution, but I like how he hustles and works on the defensive end. That was something this team lacked last year, and we got a lot of it from the four new additions to this team. 

Some of these young guys have been forced into action by the "problems" that are still unresolved....and they have responded well as you note.    The season is early of course but the two absences have hurt us less than I would have expected.    No way to make up for the loss of 6'-11 but they have compensated pretty well and the team is a very pleasant surprise to me. 

Coaches have done a good job bringing the new guys along thus far and if a couple of the  big guys can keep their emotions in check, the team could be very competitive in SEC play too.      

I think its huge for both of these guys that they are able to be rotational guys off the bench to start their careers rather than be thrown directly into the fire like all of our freshman last season. I am excited for both of these players' potential!

Archived