All Things Final Spots in the 2018 Class

aujeff11

3 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Apparently the staff doesn't want Hill as a DB.  I suppose that means they had rather let him walk than give him a shot.

WDE!

The only reason we have a shot with Hill is that we offer him an opportunity to play WR, which is his preferred position. If it's DB for him he'd have already signed with Clemson.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I honestly think we have a major issue with how many people we want to sign and only 2-3 spots left.  I don't want a situation like Alabama did where they got a kid to commit to them, and then Alabama never sent him the LOI because they wanted someone else last second on NSD.  I still remember the picture taken of that kid heartbroken sitting next to his fax machine for the LOI that never came for him to sign.  He ended up signing with Arkansas, but that is really bad PR.

Darius Philon.  Zero sympathy for that kid.  He jerked us around, then got jerked around by uat.  I think he even tried to recommit to AU on NSD but we told him to kick rocks.  You play with fire, you might get burned.  Also, he made it to the NFL anyway.

WDE!

44 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I honestly think we have a major issue with how many people we want to sign and only 2-3 spots left.  I don't want a situation like Alabama did where they got a kid to commit to them, and then Alabama never sent him the LOI because they wanted someone else last second on NSD.  I still remember the picture taken of that kid heartbroken sitting next to his fax machine for the LOI that never came for him to sign.  He ended up signing with Arkansas, but that is really bad PR.

I think we’re taking 26. Staff has been really hush hush about how many spots we have in order to be able to continue recruiting who we are.

51 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Apparently the staff doesn't want Hill as a DB.  I suppose that means they had rather let him walk than give him a shot.

WDE!

D versus O is not an issue to Hill. In the hypothetical above we would have 5 WRs in the class.

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The only reason we have a shot with Hill is that we offer him an opportunity to play WR, which is his preferred position. If it's DB for him he'd have already signed with Clemson.

He doesn't care what side of the ball he plays anymore. We have a shot, and a damn good one now, because we have been on him the longest & hardest & have the best relationships with him.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

D versus O is not an issue to Hill. In the hypothetical above we would have 5 WRs in the class.

Would be a monumentally stupid decision to let Hill walk if he wants to be D. So it sounds like you’re feeling good about him?

Personally I would like to see our final 4 spots taken by:

* LB Walker - I think this kid is going to be something else at LB & could be a difference maker
* DL Langham - I think we have a lot of talent already at the DE\Buck.  I like this kid's size so he can move inside if needed after a year in the weight room
* OL Anderson - We need OL & this is a big kid.  He has some bad tendencies, but at worst he could bring great experience to a very inexperienced OL next year.
* OL - Best Available - As I said above, we need OL

43 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Would be a monumentally stupid decision to let Hill walk if he wants to be D. So it sounds like you’re feeling good about him?

Said that 1 post up.

1 hour ago, MadtownTiger said:

To which hypothetical are you referring?

WDE!

The hypothetical you replied to near the bottom of the previous page.

If it's 3 spots then I say Quay, Langham and the Rice transfer!

Cleb Tannor question: No doubt he's a good player, but what does he bring to the table that we don't already have in Jibunor? If choosing between the two Calebs for one of the final spots, I'd prefer Johnson. Johnson is listed around 6' 3", 245 pounds. There's a lot of history of high school LB's making excellent college DL guys and Johnson appears to have the frame to do just that. Thoughts?

Johnson is a DT first day he steps on campus. He weighed 267 on his ov. Caleb Tannor will be a Buck. He has better speed and athleticism than Johnson. You of all people should see that in getting Tannor we can keep RJ at LB. But to answer your question, a year from now Tannor cannot do anythng that RJ couldnot but RJ can do this at LB that Tannor cannot do.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Cleb Tannor question: No doubt he's a good player, but what does he bring to the table that we don't already have in Jibunor?

Neither one is close to a finished pass rushing product so I'd like to have both to increase our pass rushing odds later down the line, especially if we land Langham as a 3rd DT in the class.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Neither one is close to a finished pass rushing product so I'd like to have both to increase our pass rushing odds later down the line, especially if we land Langham as a 3rd DT in the class.

With number 55 returning for his soph year and only three or four slots left, I think another rush end that might need a redshirt year falls into the luxury category. We may be out of it for Ross, Walker, Gourage etc. but I'm not willing to throw the towel in just yet.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

With number 55 returning for his soph year and only three or four slots left, I think another rush end that might need a redshirt year falls into the luxury category. We may be out of it for Ross, Walker, Gourage etc. but I'm not willing to throw the towel in just yet.

I'm not either, especially on Gouraige but it looks like in the staff's eyes after those guys & Anderson Tannor is next man up as best available regardless of position.

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'm not either, especially on Gouraige but it looks like in the staff's eyes after those guys & Anderson Tannor is next man up as best available regardless of position.

I thought that Hill confirmed he is signing with us. I saw this I think on 247 sports. Sort of confused on this Ellitor.

51 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I thought that Hill confirmed he is signing with us. I saw this I think on 247 sports. Sort of confused on this Ellitor.

Hill is a commit & considered a given in my post.

I, for one, am very pleased to see the aggressiveness that Gus and the staff have put into recruiting this year and apparently in 2019. 

It is a breath of fresh air to see so many 4*, on the commitment lineup. 

My hat is off to them as they close out this great class, maybe the best one ever. 

Looks like we can be competitive for years to come, as the addition of Woodson should improve us even more. 

E - have we ever had this many 4*'s? 

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Hill is a commit & considered a given in my post.

Got it!  He is one that we cannot afford to lose. I believe we will hold onto all of our commits at this point. I am so glad that Mr. Miller came out and told the rest of the world that he is Auburn 110%!  I have a feeling he is going to be a good one. He can learn a lot from Mr. Brown and the rest of the D line!

Thanks E and sorry for the trouble.

The thing i like about the defense recruiting is AU can have a Freshmen 425 

Oladele     Newkirk     Miller           RJ

Tutt           Harris        McClain     McCre

Marsh         Monday       Sherwood

Easy 34 transition too

Back out RJ bring Marsh down

Roll safetys

Quay Walker would look great in this group

6 hours ago, Roos said:

Yes a few times & more a few times also. We have 16 now. Our record & the national record in the recruiting site era is 19.

That is great info. It would appear that 19 is certainly within reach in this class but probably need a good bit of luck to get there. However, 18 would still be really strong and meet alot of needs.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:22 PM, Roos said:

I, for one, am very pleased to see the aggressiveness that Gus and the staff have put into recruiting this year and apparently in 2019. 

It is a breath of fresh air to see so many 4*, on the commitment lineup. 

My hat is off to them as they close out this great class, maybe the best one ever. 

Looks like we can be competitive for years to come, as the addition of Woodson should improve us even more. 

It may be the best class ever as far as recently when these rankings have been done but I am nowhere near ready to call it the best class ever.  Look at the players Dye left Tot.  Dye had some really good to great classes in the 80's.  

Archived