All Things Final Spots in the 2018 Class

aujeff11

36 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

plus replace any junior's who leaves early.

Survey says...

wCnbIl.gif

Recruiting rules have not allowed schools to do that in a very long time if ever.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm actually going with my surprise pick for signing day... Cam Taylor and looky there just so happens he's visiting this coming weekend for an OV.  

He went to Prattville for a year & we're getting a new coach now so I'll claim him. ;D

Well now, it's a little early to start naming names, but I'm thinking Fuqua will take the grayshirt to heal properly, leaving five available. (Unless there are really six, but that's unsettled pending an NCAA ruling on the kid that signed with us last year, didn't qualify academically and then signed with Memphis. Does he count against us, Memphis or both?). Anyway, let's work with the number 5.

First and foremost, keep the committed but not signed guys we have, They are all keepers. Now down to the five I think would help us the most.

2-Ol, and top of the line prospects at that. We are working on several, hope to get two.

1-, A TE or scratch that for a WR if we can get Ross

1-LB, hoping to flip Walker or find one of similar talent

1-Dt/De like Garner always seems to find.

That's a solid five, leaving CB going begging, but just look at the 25 in that class and there may be a CB hiding in there, somewhere, named at another position. :)

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

there may be a CB hiding in there, somewhere, named at another position.

Smoke. :DucksBeforeBirdThrowsSomethingAtMeForTakingOneOfHisSafeties:

Just now, ellitor said:

Smoke. :DucksBeforeBirdThrowsSomethingAtMeForTakingOneOfHisSafeties:

Maybe a good idea to keep a safe distance away from Kodi too.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well now, it's a little early to start naming names, but I'm thinking Fuqua will take the grayshirt to heal properly, leaving five available. (Unless there are really six, but that's unsettled pending an NCAA ruling on the kid that signed with us last year, didn't qualify academically and then signed with Memphis. Does he count against us, Memphis or both?). Anyway, let's work with the number 5.

First and foremost, keep the committed but not signed guys we have, They are all keepers. Now down to the five I think would help us the most.

2-Ol, and top of the line prospects at that. We are working on several, hope to get two.

1-, A TE or scratch that for a WR if we can get Ross

1-LB, hoping to flip Walker or find one of similar talent

1-Dt/De like Garner always seems to find.

That's a solid five, leaving CB going begging, but just look at the 25 in that class and there may be a CB hiding in there, somewhere, named at another position. :)

I'd be sooooooooooo okay with this, provided that it's Walker and a DT. 

i agree that is a solid five but this is not going to be Rodney's year for a surprise. That last spot will be a CB just a question whether they pull a rabbit out of a hat and get a big name guy or get one of the three guys from the State who are begging to come play at AU. Those are three pretty talented guys i dont care about this 3* crap they are labeled with.

14 minutes ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

This may have been already discussed, but with KJ, Holland, Pettway, and Davis leaving, does that mean we have four more slots left?

No, you can only sign 25 every year tops. Kids can greyshirt and get on scholarship next year but then they count to next year's 25 limit

On 1/8/2018 at 2:25 PM, ellitor said:

Survey says...

wCnbIl.gif

Recruiting rules have not allowed schools to do that in a very long time if ever.

NFL draft's a female dog.

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

No, you can only sign 25 every year tops. Kids can greyshirt and get on scholarship next year but then they count to next year's 25 limit

Thanks @gravejd!

Whew!  It looks like if we take Fuqua then we are down to 4 slots unless someone like Hill or Miller changes plans to open up another.  Talk about thin.  What are the must fill slots to take the last few spots?

Ross is a want
Alaimo is a definite need
Need a good corner not just any guy to fill the position
OT
Quay Walker is kind of a need and a want in my book.

Unless we can pull in one of the highly rated CB's I think we go 
#1 Alaimo
#2 Best CB available
#3 Best OT available
#4 Quay Walker or Best OT available

What say you.

15 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Whew!  It looks like if we take Fuqua then we are down to 4 slots

If we take Fuqua, which is not certain yet, there will be 3 spots left.

Maybe not with Swiss Army Knife Joiner committed

What are the must fill slots to take the last few spots?

OT
Hand appearently feels a swing guy OL is a need too (See Willie Allen Thread)
CB

#1 Alaimo
#2 Best CB available
#3 Best OT available

What say you.

1. Gouraige
2. McCready

Ask me again on the last spot or 2 in a week or 2 after we see what OL OV AU & when Fuqua's status is for certain known.

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Whew!  It looks like if we take Fuqua then we are down to 4 slots unless someone like Hill or Miller changes plans to open up another.  Talk about thin.  What are the must fill slots to take the last few spots?

Ross is a want
Need a good corner not just any guy to fill the position
OT
Quay Walker is kind of a need and a want in my book.

#1 Alaimo
#2 Best CB available
#3 Best OT available

What say you.

I'd put the TE further down the list. We have a good one that was redshirted this year. My list: Gourage (OT) , Walker (LB), McCray (CB), Another OL if quality is available. TE if we miss elsewhere. That's assuming Ross is not available to us. Alaimo is doing us a favor by delaying his commitment until after he visits aTm. That gives us some time to sort other positions out.

Quoting @ellitor from above. " If we take Fuqua, which is not certain yet, there will be 3 spots left. "

Unless something I'm not aware of has happened in the last few hours or I'm not up on the new math: We had 21 with Fuqua. Added Joiner for 22. Informed sources say we'll be able to count back the slot used last year by the kid that went to Memphis, so we started with 26. 26 minus 22=4 left, right?

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Quoting @ellitor from above. " If we take Fuqua, which is not certain yet, there will be 3 spots left. "

Unless something I'm not aware of has happened in the last few hours or I'm not up on the new math: We had 21 with Fuqua. Added Joiner for 22. Informed sources say we'll be able to count back the slot used last year by the kid that went to Memphis, so we started with 26. 26 minus 22=4 left, right?

I think the 3 E was talking about is the normal 25.  The +1 from last year has not necessarily been revealed yet so that would be 25 limit with 22 committed\signed.  25-2=3 :)

Just now, LKEEL75 said:

I think the 3 E was talking about is the normal 25.  The +1 from last year has not necessarily been revealed yet so that would be 25 limit with 22 committed\signed.  25-2=3 :)

Correct, but it's been passed around that the +1 is a done deal. Of course, that could be wrong but some normally reliable sources have said that's the case.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We still don't know on Carlito & a final decision has not been made on Fuqua yet. His "plan" to sign with AU can still change as things often do in recruiting. Still could have up to 5 spots left. Most college football staffs don't like the public to know how many their school can take til the very end of the cycle. AU is 1 of those staffs.

Archived