All Things Final Spots in the 2018 Class

aujeff11

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silly me for thinking I was going to see a discussion about the final spots in our '18 recruiting class.

8 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

Silly me for thinking I was going to see a discussion about the final spots in our '18 recruiting class.

I know.  You have arrived at Romper Room.

Just now, Mikey said:

Informed sources thinking that Fuqua will sign on Feb.7th then?

Haven't seen any informed sources yet. I don't think the staff has made a call yet 1 way or the other. If they have they ain't letting it out.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Looks like 1 CB & best available. As posted in the Langham thread his offer may actually be at OT for example.

Man, it is going to be really not good to not get at one additional OL in this class, IMO.

We only have 2 OL committed. Hopefully coach Grimes can either sign 2 more high OL or get 2 from the JUCO ranks. We also need help with DB's and DL.

In my opinion, we do not take any more DL's.  We have enough committed for the rotation RG likes and good depth.  Also next year's class has a lot of great prospects we have really good shots at getting.  For me, the more important pieces are OL and DB for this class.

57 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

In my opinion, we do not take any more DL's.  We have enough committed for the rotation RG likes and good depth.  Also next year's class has a lot of great prospects we have really good shots at getting.  For me, the more important pieces are OL and DB for this class.

I think you're right, on paper. However, if we can't get the quality we need at those other positions we may fall back to "best available regardless of position". That's going on everywhere right now, not just at Auburn.

18 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Attitude noted... guess it should be expected with Jersey in your name. Mod or not, Bird knows his stuff and is one of the true good guys around here, if you care.

As a famous general told the Nazi's.......................................................... NUMBNUTS

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

As a famous general told the Nazi's.......................................................... NUMBNUTS

“NUTS” - General McAuliffe Commander 101st Airborner Division, December 22 Bastogne, Belgium - Battle of the Bulge

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

“NUTS” - General McAuliffe Commander 101st Airborner Division, December 22 Bastogne, Belgium - Battle of the Bulge

In response to a demand for surrender because his forces were surrounded. Best response ever....

59 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

South Carolina just picked up another OT commit today. Does that help at all with Wonnum or are we out of it already?

1. Unlikely. 2. No but still a long shot.

On 12/17/2017 at 12:11 PM, aujeff11 said:

If Oladele is the 20th commitment, let’s play predict the finish:

Goss

Schwartz

Bengie

Nate Watson

Andres Fox.

Fills depth and does the job even if they’re not recruiting world beaters.

I’m only going to get 1 right apparently. 

I didn’t want Watson that much though. 

1 gatewood qb

2 shivers sb

3 martin tb

4 joiner fb

5 irving og/c

6 stutts og/c

7 hill wr

8 schwartz slot

9 williams wr

10 jackson slot

11 oladele de

12 newkirk dt

13 miller dt

14 junibor de

15 harris lb

16 mcclain lb

17 marsh ss

18 tutt cb

19 monday fs

20 mccreary cb

21 sherwood fs

22 siposs p

23                                fuqua ss*

My simple version...correct?

Wishlist

23 walker lb

24 ross wr   (hill may play d)

25 griffen cb

26 r.james de/lb

Fuqua grayshirts*

Anybody want to make a guess?

1 gatewood qb

2 martin tb

3 joiner pwrb

4 shiver spdb

5 williams wr

6 schwartz slot

7 jackson slot

8 hill wr

9 irving og/c

10 stutts og/c

11 oladele de

12 newkirk dt

13 miller dt

14 junibor de

15 harris lb

16 mcclain lb

17 marsh ss

18 tutt cb

19 mccreary cb

20 monday fs

21 sherwood fs

22 siposs p

Fill in the blanks....

Ross wr (Hill goes to D)

Walker lb

R.James ATH

DL/OL Tanner/Wonnom 

I honestly think we have a major issue with how many people we want to sign and only 2-3 spots left.  I don't want a situation like Alabama did where they got a kid to commit to them, and then Alabama never sent him the LOI because they wanted someone else last second on NSD.  I still remember the picture taken of that kid heartbroken sitting next to his fax machine for the LOI that never came for him to sign.  He ended up signing with Arkansas, but that is really bad PR.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I honestly think we have a major issue with how many people we want to sign and only 2-3 spots left.  I don't want a situation like Alabama did where they got a kid to commit to them, and then Alabama never sent him the LOI because they wanted someone else last second on NSD.  I still remember the picture taken of that kid heartbroken sitting next to his fax machine for the LOI that never came for him to sign.  He ended up signing with Arkansas, but that is really bad PR.

I don't think we approach it that way. We seem to always have one or two that were told to not commit anywhere, wait and see if there's a space for you. That way they can still sign with UAB or wherever if AU doesn't get back to them by, say, noon. If we have the slot, then we let them know ASAP. Recent examples are Whitlow last year, Thomas the year before him and the Late Ladarius Phillips, a few years back.

10 hours ago, AUallday said:

8 hill wr

Ross wr (Hill goes to D)

Apparently the staff doesn't want Hill as a DB.  I suppose that means they had rather let him walk than give him a shot.

WDE!

Archived