Horace Spencer's Ejection

tigeraddikt

I watched the AU/Murray State game online on the OVC's digital network site. Kudos to the OVC for providing free live video of their teams' games online. I guess that demonstrates just how much money there is (not) to be made in OVC sporting broadcasts, but nevertheless, I appreciated being able to watch the game last night.

The game is archived and can be viewed online at ovcdigitalnetwork.com. At the 56:05 mark is the flagrant foul by Spencer. During the game last night, without a replay, I was pissed at the refs for that call. However, after looking at it, I get a good idea of what happened. First off, a minute or so earlier, the refs blow a goal-tending call where Spencer  just grabs an errant lob/shot by a Murray State player who just kinda tossed it in the general direction of the basket. However, the shot wasn't going to draw iron; the OVC announcers made this point themselves about that not being a goal-tend. So, Spencer gets wrongly called for a goal-tend, and he gets a little butt hurt (he's not the most emotionally sound player on the court to begin with). A couple possessions later, Desean Murray gets a great block that leads to a fast break for AU; Bryce Brown slings a beautiful 55 foot alley-oop pass to Heron, who has the finish blocked by a Murray State defender. Then Murray St. runs out on a fast break, and it ends up in the hands of a Racer at the basket, where Spencer pounds the guy,  stupidly wrapping a chicken wing around the guy's jaw and neck, which is what warranted (and received) the Flagrant-2. He didn't mean to hurt the guy, as shown by Spencer's immediate reaction of regret, but that doesn't matter. He was pissed at the goal-tend blown call, and after the Heron alley-oop block, the Murray State defender turned around to stare at Heron, so there was some jawing and man-sizing going on during that 2 or 3 minute sequence toward the end of the 1st half. Spencer just needs to calm down and play within himself if he wants to get more minutes and help this team win.

So, bottom line, the refs actually got it right on the Spencer ejection, but it was a bang-bang play that could've just been a Flagrant-1 had the refs not considered Spencer's actions "extreme in nature."

32 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I watched the AU/Murray State game online on the OVC's digital network site. Kudos to the OVC for providing free live video of their teams' games online. I guess that demonstrates just how much money there is (not) to be made in OVC sporting broadcasts, but nevertheless, I appreciated being able to watch the game last night.

The game is archived and can be viewed online at ovcdigitalnetwork.com. At the 56:05 mark is the flagrant foul by Spencer. During the game last night, without a replay, I was pissed at the refs for that call. However, after looking at it, I get a good idea of what happened. First off, a minute or so earlier, the refs blow a goal-tending call where Spencer  just grabs an errant lob/shot by a Murray State player who just kinda tossed it in the general direction of the basket. However, the shot wasn't going to draw iron; the OVC announcers made this point themselves about that not being a goal-tend. So, Spencer gets wrongly called for a goal-tend, and he gets a little butt hurt (he's not the most emotionally sound player on the court to begin with). A couple possessions later, Desean Murray gets a great block that leads to a fast break for AU; Bryce Brown slings a beautiful 55 foot alley-oop pass to Heron, who has the finish blocked by a Murray State defender. Then Murray St. runs out on a fast break, and it ends up in the hands of a Racer at the basket, where Spencer pounds the guy,  stupidly wrapping a chicken wing around the guy's jaw and neck, which is what warranted (and received) the Flagrant-2. He didn't mean to hurt the guy, as shown by Spencer's immediate reaction of regret, but that doesn't matter. He was pissed at the goal-tend blown call, and after the Heron alley-oop block, the Murray State defender turned around to stare at Heron, so there was some jawing and man-sizing going on during that 2 or 3 minute sequence toward the end of the 1st half. Spencer just needs to calm down and play within himself if he wants to get more minutes and help this team win.

So, bottom line, the refs actually got it right on the Spencer ejection, but it was a bang-bang play that could've just been a Flagrant-1 had the refs not considered Spencer's actions "extreme in nature."

I saw the play live and saw a replay and I don't think a flagrant 2 should have been called. It was obvious Spencer's intent was not to hurt the guy. It looked to me like he had gotten beat and didn't think about what he was doing so he threw an arm at the guy. Just my opinion but I think it should've been a flagrant 1. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I saw the play live and saw a replay and I don't think a flagrant 2 should have been called. It was obvious Spencer's intent was not to hurt the guy. It looked to me like he had gotten beat and didn't think about what he was doing so he threw an arm at the guy. Just my opinion but I think it should've been a flagrant 1. 

I agree with that. I had to research the specific difference(s) between Flagrant-1 and Flagrant-2 fouls to come to a conclusion. Apparently, intent to harm doesn't come into play. If the refs see you make contact with elbows and/or deem contact to be unsportsmanlike and extreme in nature, then they can subjectively call a Flagrant-2 and toss the player. It just came down to a judgment call be a group of buffoon refs that (at that point of the game) weren't going to do AU any favors.

Second player tossed in last two games.   We don't have enough depth for our bigger guys to let their emotions get away from them like that and hurt the team with their immaturity.    Not sure what BP can do about it other than a little "counseling" or something.  

It was flagrant, yes. But watching the body of work those refs had in AU games tells me they are out to screw AU. I hope they never call another AU game again. I have really liked the officiating this year up until the last game or two. This crew was heavily influenced by the Murray State coach and it wasn’t even close. 

But AU did what AU has been doing. Dealing with and overcoming adversity. Yes, some is self-inflicted but it’s clear there are leaders on this team that can right the ship before it smashes into the rocks. 

7 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

You sure are making a TON of assumptions here and even attempting reading the minds of other people.   Major reach here with absolutely nothing to support it.   The Flagrant 2 call was absolutely the right call.  There are 4 factors listed under flagrant 2 personal foul.  That situation met 3 of the 4. 

If you think we weren't going to get any calls being on the road, how do you explain the offensive foul call on Murray State right in front of their own bench with maybe 2 or minutes on the clock in a very close game?    That was a terrific call that gave Auburn the ball and a chance to extend the lead.    That was probably the biggest call in the game and it went in favor of Auburn, ON THE ROAD. 

Listen YOU FREAKING MORON, I said it was the right call. Stop commenting on my posts. You've rarely added value to this forum regardless of your status on this site. Leave me alone. 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

You sure are making a TON of assumptions here and even attempting reading the minds of other people.   Major reach here with absolutely nothing to support it.   The Flagrant 2 call was absolutely the right call.  There are 4 factors listed under flagrant 2 personal foul.  That situation met 3 of the 4. 

If you think we weren't going to get any calls being on the road, how do you explain the offensive foul call on Murray State right in front of their own bench with maybe 2 or minutes on the clock in a very close game?    That was a terrific call that gave Auburn the ball and a chance to extend the lead.    That was probably the biggest call in the game and it went in favor of Auburn, ON THE ROAD. 

That was a huge call for sure, but the right one too. I’m probably wrong about the flagrant as I don’t know the 4 criteria, and I only saw it once since they didn’t replay it. 

Ok, I watched the replay, and they did replay it just not from a good angle. That said, yeah, probably a flagrant 2.  If Spencer just swats at him, it’s going to be a regular foul. Hooking him did the damage. 

The refs were pretty terrible. We didn't get into the bonus until late into the 2nd half and Murray State was in the bonus super early in the 2nd.

There's just no way the discrepancy between the 2 teams' defense was that big. And as @jared52 said that call on the charge with Harper was not the right one but the refs incompetence was on our side that time. 

I have  general dislike for how bball is called, in general.  I’d like for the game to be a little more forgiving for touchy feely fouls.  

Regardng this game ... those bastards should have called half as many fouls on us and twice as many on them ... just cuz!

All I ask for is consistency.

If your gonna call it tight, be consistent on both ends for 40 minutes.

The players and coaches will adjust.

On 12/20/2017 at 8:24 PM, jared52 said:

Watched the replay of the charge on Murray State. Bad call. Harper as no where near legal guarding position. 

The way I saw that call, the offensive player lowered his shoulder and extended his arm, thus an offensive foul. 

16 minutes ago, Michael Scarn said:

The way I saw that call, the offensive player lowered his shoulder and extended his arm, thus an offensive foul. 

Yeah, he cleared out Harper with an extended shoulder/arm right in front of the official. Was called correctly imo.

Archived