Men vs. Uconn

AU64

Just got in from the game, best I've seen AU look in a while. Very nice crowd I thought considering the students are gone. Hats off to Bruce, I can remember going to basketball games in AU this time of year and not having 1000 people there. He's really sold the program here, and the Person fiasco could easily have turned fans off from coming out. That being said, if our 2 guys were playing this team could be damn good. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, CR said:

Just got in from the game, best I've seen AU look in a while. Very nice crowd I thought considering the students are gone. Hats off to Bruce, I can remember going to basketball games in AU this time of year and not having 1000 people there. He's really sold the program here, and the Person fiasco could easily have turned fans off from coming out. That being said, if our 2 guys were playing this team could be damn good. 

Guess I'm not too excited about that yet.....this is team playing like a team.....no matter that the two guys are practicing with the team it doesn't mean that the will gel when a couple current starters see a lot less playing time.    But.....I'm not confident that we will have to deal with that problem.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Guess I'm not too excited about that yet.....this is team playing like a team.....no matter that the two guys are practicing with the team it doesn't mean that the will gel when a couple current starters see a lot less playing time.    But.....I'm not confident that we will have to deal with that problem.

to be honest, i think we are better with murray than we would be with  purifoy.....murray is a blue collar baller

Wiley's big body would be a huge help inside. That being said I really like the way Spencer, Dunbar and Okeke mix it up inside. AU finally has some size at the forward position.

Very impressive win today. 1/3 of the way thru the 2nd half Jared Harper scored to make it 60-33. It gave him 11 pts. Before that we had no one in double digit scoring! That's playing selfless basketball. 58 pts and we've don't have anybody in double digits? Hats off to Bruce to get these guys to play so well together.

I’m a big believer in team chemistry making a difference and sometimes really good/bad chemistry can make a huge difference.  But let’s dont kid ... Wiley would be an enormous bonus to this team.  It’s been said that he is an nba draft pick (I don’t have a clue at what pick) and they don’t make teams worse.

Although cole had some strong opinions about purifoy last year, I still had the jury out on him ... even knowing he was out of position and his foot injury.

Loved the game and especially loved how hard they are playing on D and on the boards. I still hope we get Wiley and Purifoy back. Wiley's size will help against some SEC team that have some big men like A&M and Kentucky.  Purifoy will have to work hard to get any minutes. I am not knocking Purifoy but McLemore, Spencer, Murray, Chuma, Dunbar are all playing hard both on D and on the boards doing the dirty work Purifoy has not shown the interest in doing last year.  If their play forces Purifoy to kick it up a gear for PT then he will also be ready to go to the next level after this year.

40 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I’m a big believer in team chemistry making a difference and sometimes really good/bad chemistry can make a huge difference.  But let’s dont kid ... Wiley would be an enormous bonus to this team.  It’s been said that he is an nba draft pick (I don’t have a clue at what pick) and they don’t make teams worse.

Although cole had some strong opinions about purifoy last year, I still had the jury out on him ... even knowing he was out of position and his foot injury.

I’d like to think the chemistry won’t be affected too much. I mean, Wiley and Purifoy are practicing everyday with the team so it’s not like they’d be coming in totally foreign and disrupting things. I suppose it’s speculation but I’d rather have them than not for sure. 

Fun game to watch, great crowd, lots of energy. Team looked like they were having fun.

Thanks Bruce, and team.

War Eagle, be safe and Merry Christmas!

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

“Crowd of 8039”.........what is capacity?

Officially 9121. 

OK, serious question: is this team this good or is the schedule just suspect? I would like to believe they are really gelling, however, i also wonder if the teams we are playing are just down this year. Those in the know, please give me some reassurance. 

5 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

OK, serious question: is this team this good or is the schedule just suspect? I would like to believe they are really gelling, however, i also wonder if the teams we are playing are just down this year. Those in the know, please give me some reassurance. 

We won’t know until the SEC grind starts. Just enjoy what it is for now. 

10 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Preseason schedules are always "suspect " but we never go 10-1. We are better than we have been in over a decade. Like in the previous post we don't know how good just yet. 

When is the last time we had a team that could sink free throws? 82% yesterday. That’s a product of good coaching. That will be huge in close conference games. Also, we don’t seem to be missing Chuck on the bench. Could he have actually been a drag on that staff?

2 minutes ago, ElkRiver said:

When is the last time we had a team that could sink free throws? 82% yesterday. That’s a product of good coaching. That will be huge in close conference games. Also, we don’t seem to be missing Chuck on the bench. Could he have actually been a drag on that staff?

losing persons, except for how it happened, seems to be a blessing....elkriver, you live close to rogersville?

Losing persons took a hit, at least temporarily, on recruiting ... unfortunately the fbi/NCAA may tell us there were reasons for that.

like someone said, this team is at the very least better than the last decade or possibly 2 than auburn has fielded.

apparently the sec is improved as well.  Let’s hope we can navigate a minimum .500 sec record and go dancing.  That’d Put us over the magic 20 win mark!

4 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Losing persons took a hit, at least temporarily, on recruiting ... unfortunately the fbi/NCAA may tell us there were reasons for that.

like someone said, this team is at the very least better than the last decade or possibly 2 than auburn has fielded.

apparently the sec is improved as well.  Let’s hope we can navigate a minimum .500 sec record and go dancing.  That’d Put us over the magic 20 win mark!

We still have Cornell left to play at home on Dec 30th. IF we do win that game, that will give us 12 wins for the season. A .500 conference record would give us 21 wins. 19 wins against a really tough schedule would put us in. I think 21 wins is about right. 22 should lock us in. I guess it depends on how the committee views our wins against Dayton, MTSU, and Murray State- 3 teams that love to give power 5 teams bad losses. 

Now I hope UConn turns it around and is able to cleanup the American conference. 

17 hours ago, doverstutts said:

to be honest, i think we are better with murray than we would be with  purifoy.....murray is a blue collar baller

With the shots they’re getting right now, Purifoy would be averaging 5 3s a game right now. The guy would be FEASTING. It’s not like Danjel doesn’t also have an extreme work ethic, he just also happens to be naturally talented 

Archived