boomstick

SEC schedule prediction

Recommended Posts

Since the conference season is almost upon us, I figured a prediction thread to see how good (or bad, in my case) our predictions will be. Assuming Wiley and Purifoy don't return, I have us going 9-9 right now. I think the lack of a third big guy and only 9 scholarship players to go through an entire SEC schedule is a lot to ask. I think Auburn is very talented and will win a game or two that we shouldn't on paper, but I also think we will lose one or two of the same. All in all, 9-9 puts us right in the middle of the pack in the SEC and, at 21-10,  probably inside the bubble going into the SECT. Just basing it off what I've seen, here's my game-by-game prediction:

@ Tennessee L
Arkansas W
Ole Miss W
@ Miss St L
@ Bama L
Georgia W
@ Mizzou L
LSU W
@ Ole Miss W
Vandy W
Texas A&M L
@ Georgia W
Kentucky L
@ South Carolina L
Bama W
@ Florida L
@ Arkansas L
South Carolina W

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




13-5*  in SEC play

Sweep Bama, sweep USCe, and beat Mizzou in Columbia and MSU in Starkville. (Watch for more if we beat Tennessee. That's a huge momentum game for our guys. Could propel us to 14-4, 13-3 in conference.) 

@ Tennessee L
Arkansas W
Ole Miss W
@ Miss St W
@ Bama W
Georgia W
@ Mizzou W
LSU W
@ Ole Miss W
Vandy W
Texas A&M L
@ Georgia W
Kentucky L (TOSS UP @ HOME, COULD EASILY BE A W)
@ South Carolina W
Bama W
@ Florida L
@ Arkansas L
South Carolina W

 

* Gives us a 5-7 seed birth in NCAA tourney

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the progress but I'm still in wait and see mode. Without 2 key cogs our work is cut out for us. I still love the tangible progress we are seeing from last year to this year. I think we can clearly say that last year's team set the foundation for Bruce's program. The prior years were just working to get us to foundation level -- yes that's how far under ground we were. It took us 2 years to find our foundation. I hope people are finally realizing this now.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I love the progress but I'm still in wait and see mode. Without 2 key cogs our work is cut out for us. I still love the tangible progress we are seeing from last year to this year. I think we can clearly say that last year's team set the foundation for Bruce's program. The prior years were just working to get us to foundation level -- yes that's how far under ground we were. It took us 2 years to find our foundation. I hope people are finally realizing this now.

Very true. It took Bruce two years to get solid HS recruiting groundwork laid to sign high quality HS players. Now, we look to be poised to be a veteran team for the next 2-3 years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Question:  just how good is bammer?  I have not been very impressed so far, but it seems as if you all have a good bit of respect for them.  Take away Sexton and they are not that great..

Even with Sexton they're not that great imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Question:  just how good is bammer?  I have not been very impressed so far, but it seems as if you all have a good bit of respect for them.  Take away Sexton and they are not that great..

I think what Sexton and Petty have added to their offense they’ve taken away from their defense. IMO that’s the biggest difference of their team. They aren’t as good defensively. So it’s kinda been a wash. They’re still a good team,  but I don’t think they’re as capable of muddying up a game and still pulling it out like they could last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes me wonder why the OP would have us losing to to uat on the road.  Auburn is a much better team than they are, and I just don't see the improvement for them from last year to now.

South Carolina is down, and ripe for the pickings as is Arkansas.

The OP looks like he decided this AU team wouldn't win on the road in the SEC...and this team has done some wonderful stuff, under adverse conditions on the road.

I am hoping this team will do better than 21-10...I think we could hit the 25 win level, but you never know

These kids play at a different level.

Edited by Mid Atlantic Tiger
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Question:  just how good is bammer?  I have not been very impressed so far, but it seems as if you all have a good bit of respect for them.  Take away Sexton and they are not that great..

I've only seen bits and pieces of 2-3 games they've played this year.  I'm not impressed with what I saw, Sexton/Petty look alright but they are no big time game changers IMO.  (Granted, I haven't watched an entire game.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arkansas is the best team in SEC this year. They're going to make noise and take the SEC crown, IMO.

I see us finishing at best 11-7, at worst 8-10. However, if Purifoy and Wiley come back, I think winning 12+ games would be possible.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 4:25 PM, AUDynasty said:

Arkansas is the best team in SEC this year. They're going to make noise and take the SEC crown, IMO.

I see us finishing at best 11-7, at worst 8-10. However, if Purifoy and Wiley come back, I think winning 12+ games would be possible.

I like the way you think.

Not sure about the best but I definitely think we can finish top 3-5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

They just beat the No.5 team in the nation by 22.

aTm was also missing Hogg and Gilder, their two best guards and two of their best scorers. Not saying Bama wouldn’t have still won, but this matchup might look quite different when they meet again in March to close out the regular season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

They just beat the No.5 team in the nation by 22.

It's hard to win on the road in the SEC. Bama played its best game and a depleted TAMU played its worst. I stand by my statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 10:18 PM, gohogs14 said:

I like the way you think.

Not sure about the best but I definitely think we can finish top 3-5

Even though Texas A&M, Kentucky, and Tennessee are ranked higher, I think you got a really good bunch. That team who beat UConn by 35--I think they're going to gel up and become a force to be reckoned with this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

If we get through SEC play with only four losses, I'll be ecstatic.

 

We will probably be a top 10 team and a 2-3 seed in the tourney if that happens. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2017 at 12:46 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

13-5*  in SEC play

Sweep Bama, sweep USCe, and beat Mizzou in Columbia and MSU in Starkville. (Watch for more if we beat Tennessee. That's a huge momentum game for our guys. Could propel us to 14-4, 13-3 in conference.) 

@ Tennessee L
Arkansas W
Ole Miss W
@ Miss St W
@ Bama W
Georgia W
@ Mizzou W
LSU W
@ Ole Miss W
Vandy W
Texas A&M L
@ Georgia W
Kentucky L (TOSS UP @ HOME, COULD EASILY BE A W)
@ South Carolina W
Bama W
@ Florida L
@ Arkansas L
South Carolina W

 

* Gives us a 5-7 seed birth in NCAA tourney

This is what my go to college basketball site WarrenNolan.com had before we beat UT. Now they have us going 14-4. The differences between their picks & yours OxPx is they have us losing @ Miss St, losing @ Mizzou, beating aTm, @ home, & beating UK @ home. http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/team-predict-schedule?team=Auburn

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2017 at 10:07 PM, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Question:  just how good is bammer?  I have not been very impressed so far, but it seems as if you all have a good bit of respect for them.  Take away Sexton and they are not that great..

Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde team. Can be reall good or bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde team. Can be reall good or bad.

 I think that comes with a near future NBA player, who is the one they rely on heavily. He is going to be hot and cold...and team chemistry is going to be lacking...i.e. a roller coaster ride for Bama...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tigeraddikt, @boomstick, or anyone else. How do you get projected wins or losses on ESPN's AU schedule? I don't see a tab or link for it like with the football schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@tigeraddikt, @boomstick, or anyone else. How do you get projected wins or losses on ESPN's AU schedule? I don't see a tab or link for it like with the football schedule.

I just figured he photoshopped it. I’m not sure how he did it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now