2018 3* RB Kavosiey Smoke

WFE12

Visiting on my birthday Jan 12. Would be a nice B day gift. Dude is a lot to handle on the field. If KJ's not returning I say do it.

Auburn considering another in-state running back option to fill out 2018 class

Welcome to SEC Country’s daily Auburn Tigers football recruiting notebook with Auburn recruiting beat writer Benjamin Wolk. It’s Wednesday, and SEC Country gives the latest on an in-state running back who has an official visit date set up.

Auburn considering another option at running back?

There has been a growing question among Auburn fans: Will Auburn take a third running back in the 2018 class?

The Tigers already have two locked up from the early signing period. Asa Martin, the 4-star feature back, and Shaun Shivers, the 3-star all-purpose back, inked last week. In Martin’s case, his Auburn career has already started with bowl practices.

For most of the recruiting cycle, my sources told me Auburn was fine with its two running backs in the class. But the potential of Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson leaving early for the NFL has created more conversation about whether the Tigers should take a third running back for depth protection.

RELATED: 2018 Auburn recruiting big board

It’s still to be determined, but with the other two locked in, Auburn will now exhaust its other unsigned running back options to be safe.

DSC_0071-1_r4plxx.jpg
Kavosiey Smoke (center, No. 16, arms crossed) stands with commits and targets Tank Jenkins Shedrick Jackson, Seth Williams and James Foster at the Alabama-Mississippi all-star game. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

There’s a clear starting point with in-state running back Kaviosey Smoke, who will make several all-names teams lists in the years to come. His first name is pronounced kay-voss-ee-yay.

Smoke visited Auburn for its last two SEC games of the season against Georgia and Alabama. At the time, those visits seemed like let’s-have-fun-at-an-SEC-game trips. As time has progressed, however, it’s become more clear the Tigers’ coaching staff was forming a relationship with Smoke for a January push after Martin and Shivers were signed up.

As first reported by John Garcia Jr. with 247Sports, Smoke plans to take an official visit to Auburn in January despite not having an offer yet. SEC Country spoke with Smoke, and he confirmed Jan. 12 as his official visit date to the Plains.

For a frame of reference on Smoke, he’s a 3-star running back from Wetumpka, Ala., who ranks as the No. 713 overall prospect in the nation. His stock, however, has grown in recent weeks and months after a strong senior season bookended by a strong showing during Alabama-Mississippi all-star week.

Prior to the season, Smoke held offers from South Carolina, Florida (albeit the old staff), North Carolina, Mississippi State, Illinois, Central Florida, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Florida Atlantic and Kentucky — the programs that made up his top 10. Add the Tigers to that mix now, and as an in-state prospect, they have to be considered a major threat to all those other schools if they decided to offer Smoke.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other positions way more important and spots are tight. And unless I've missed something Kerryon seems more likely than not to return.

I keep hearing talk about this dude with mixed reviews. What are his measurables and is the staff really interested? I know there are concerns because of his level of competition presumably....

He sure looked good at Alabama/Mississippi All Star game!

whomever questioned his level of competition in High School just does not follow Alabama High School football very well. He played at 6a Wetumpka. Do you have any idea who is in that 6a region, Opelika, Benjamin Russell to name two. That 6a classification routinely plays and beats 7a teams. Opelika plays and regularly beats Auburn High and competes regularly against Central of Phoenix City. There may be questions about him, i think those were put to rest by his All Star Game performance, but there can be none about the level of his high school competition.

36 minutes ago, auol72 said:

whomever questioned his level of competition in High School just does not follow Alabama High School football very well. He played at 6a Wetumpka. Do you have any idea who is in that 6a region, Opelika, Benjamin Russell to name two. That 6a classification routinely plays and beats 7a teams. Opelika plays and regularly beats Auburn High and competes regularly against Central of Phoenix City. There may be questions about him, i think those were put to rest by his All Star Game performance, but there can be none about the level of his high school competition.

Great, thanks for the clarification ??

I think it depends on who else, at what different positions, we can sign. Nothing against Smoke but we have positions in greater need than a third RB in this class. Taking a shot at a third safety would make more sense and there are a couple of in-state kids that can fill that bill. If we end up with a handful of nothin' by February, then the third RB may come into play. As it is, the two RB's we have signed are excellent prospects and the red-shirted Whitaker is waiting in the wings.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think it depends on who else, at what different positions, we can sign. Nothing against Smoke but we have positions in greater need than a third RB in this class. Taking a shot at a third safety would make more sense and there are a couple of in-state kids that can fill that bill. If we end up with a handful of nothin' by February, then the third RB may come into play. As it is, the two RB's we have signed are excellent prospects and the red-shirted Whitaker is waiting in the wings.

I think you meant Whitlow.....

RB's if both starters go to the NFL and their class next year.

Barret Soph.

Martin Jr.

Miller Soph.

Whitlow RSF

Martin Incoming Freshman

Shivers Incoming Freshman

2 minutes ago, WDavE said:

I think you meant Whitlow.....

RB's if both starters go to the NFL and their class next year.

Barret Soph.

Martin Jr.

Miller Soph.

Whitlow RSF

Martin Incoming Freshman

Shivers Incoming Freshman

Yes, Whitlow. Sorry 'bout that. That's six, so unless the 3rd guy this year is an absolute stud 5* I don't see much need. Now if we get late in the game and  it's "use it or lose it" on the slot, that changes things.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Yes, Whitlow. Sorry 'bout that. That's six, so unless the 3rd guy this year is an absolute stud 5* I don't see much need. Now if we get late in the game and  it's "use it or lose it" on the slot, that changes things.

Not a problem ! You did make me go back and look to be sure though.

Don't we have another potential RB in JC right now?

I'd say his offer is entirely contingent on Kerryon Johnson's decision. Before Signing Day, we should know whether he's coming back or not. I doubt Smoke has an offer if he's coming back.

55 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I’m hoping for a tall rangy CB or two. 

remember tho, with shivers, he will not be an every down back due to his size.  he has big play potential on occasion but will be used probably like Omac was---although his HS highlights show him enjoying contact (not running to sidelines like Omac did, but man, was he fast!)

just heard of him here. looked at a quick film not terribly impressed but just a quick look. looks a little overweight(gut). i do think we need another rb. not sure who.

4 hours ago, auol72 said:

Opelika plays and competes regularly against Central of Phoenix City. 

Central destroyed them this past year haha

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

"use it or lose it" on the slot,

Current 25 slots aren't use it or lose it for a while. They can still be used on C/O 2019 January enrollees or transfers if necessary so no need to stretch on a guy right now.

3 hours ago, WDavE said:

Don't we have another potential RB in JC right now?

Very much up in the air if AU would take Alaric in the 2019 class.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

just heard of him here. looked at a quick film not terribly impressed but just a quick look. looks a little overweight(gut). i do think we need another rb. not sure who.

But did you see him in Ala/Miss All Star game? He looked really good running the ball with power and some speed, and hard yards at times too!

Archived