2018 3* RB Kavosiey Smoke

WFE12

Just now, robbykidd said:

Maybe looking for more of an HB type player?

Lindsey prefers straight up TEs to FB/HBs. And I'm okay with that. Prosch was a rare talent. Cox is a good fullback who might catch the ball a little better than he blocks sometimes but for whom we don't seem to have many plays. Lutz and Uzomah were very good TEs who filled a fullback-ish role adequately from time to time.

I'd rather we pick one or the other and stick with it. I've lost my affinity for the TE/FB hybrid concept. Looks like it's going to be either a tight end or a running back as long as Lindsey is here. Cool.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Bump

May just as easily take Joiner now. It may end up being 1st come, 1st serve.

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Joiner is an outstanding RB but he gives us more of what we already have.  IMO, we need a back like Smoke to compliment what we have. 

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The way y'all have talked of him makes me uninterested if he's only willing to play hb though with how his recruitment has gone he will probably be more open to playing te..Maybe.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

The way y'all have talked of him makes me uninterested if he's only willing to play hb though with how his recruitment has gone he will probably be more open to playing te..Maybe.

He would never come to AU to play TE.  

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

If he's a legit target it will be at RB now that KJ is gone & Bubba likely out too.

8 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Joiner is an outstanding RB but he gives us more of what we already have.

While his running style leaves something to be desired given his physique, last time I checked I don't think we have any 6'3, 220 lbs RBs on roster. Not saying HJ is KJ at all but KJ has proven a RB can change his running style. KJ came in as more of a finesse runner & became a physical runner in his AU days, especially this year.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

While his running style leaves something to be desired given his physique, last time I checked I don't think we have any 6'3, 220 lbs RBs on roster. Not saying HJ is KJ at all but KJ has proven a RB can change his running style. KJ came in as more of a finesse runner & became a physical runner in his AU days, especially this year.

I didn't realize he was that big.  I saw him play this year and he didn't look 6'3" or near 220 lbs. maybe he could be a physical runner.  Thanks for keeping me straight ellitor. 

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I didn't realize he was that big.  I saw him play this year and he didn't look 6'3" or near 220 lbs. maybe he could be a physical runner.  Thanks for keeping me straight ellitor. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4152254

How does the RB class look next year for AU? Maybe the best move is to go with what is here and try to add better quality backs next year. I would hate to add a RB just to get one if he's not really going to be a factor. Just doesn't seem a good use of a scholarship. Let's face it Gus is going to play only one primary back a year, been that way since he's been here.

2 minutes ago, CR said:

How does the RB class look next year for AU?

To early to tell. Not much coverage on 2019 yet.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To early to tell. Not much coverage on 2019 yet.

But surely the coaches have looked ahead. If they were unsure on taking Smoke or Joiner before, I wouldn't take them now because Kerryon declared. Chances are they would be passed over by someone else anyway. Just a thought.

7 hours ago, CR said:

But surely the coaches have looked ahead.

Yes. I was referring to reporting coverage. We don't get minute by minute updates on what the coaches are doing in recruiting, especially 1 class out.

7 hours ago, CR said:

If they were unsure on taking Smoke or Joiner before, I wouldn't take them now because Kerryon declared. Chances are they would be passed over by someone else anyway. Just a thought.

Well it's not just Kerryon, Bubba is likely gone too. As WDE pointed out, the staff expected KJ to come back as recently as last week.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

I can't believe we are already talking about KJ in the past tense with his career at Auburn.  :bawling:

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I can't believe we are already talking about KJ in the past tense with his career at Auburn.  :bawling:

Feels like he was only here a year. :-X

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

I agree with you here. The last 2 years KJ did not have gaping holes to run through. Most of his yards were yac yards. If HJ is that big and strong (and will probably become stronger once he gets on AU's weight program), he can be coached up as far as his running style and be a load to bring down.

Dang what kind of competition is he playing against.  Kid looks good.  Am I crazy or does he look every bit as good as Pettway or Barber coming out of HS.  I know Barber played against really good teams.

47 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Dang what kind of competition is he playing against.  Kid looks good.  Am I crazy or does he look every bit as good as Pettway or Barber coming out of HS.  I know Barber played against really good teams.

Quality 6A competition.

Archived