rollingtoomers

Underrated prospects

Recommended Posts

Looking through 247's prospect rankings, it appears we only have one commitment rated in the top 100.  Even though we have a good number of 4 stars and are sitting at the number 10 class, it seems like we are a little light on the top tier recruits.  This makes me think we might have some that could be underrated. What are y'alls thoughts?  Is there any commit that you think is underrated and should be in the top 100 and why?   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




27 minutes ago, rollingtoomers said:

Looking through 247's prospect rankings, it appears we only have one commitment rated in the top 100.  Even though we have a good number of 4 stars and are sitting at the number 10 class, it seems like we are a little light on the top tier recruits.  This makes me think we might have some that could be underrated. What are y'alls thoughts?  Is there any commit that you think is underrated and should be in the top 100 and why?   

Q. Monday and J. Irvin are certainly under rated. There may be others here and there that need a bump but those two are "not even in the ballpark" under rated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday seems like Moultry last year. They moved him up late in the process, but it wasn't enough. I felt last year like you could see Moultry as a lock to contribute as a true freshman, but he was still just a mid-tier 4* on Rivals. That was too low, and he proved it this year. I feel the same way about Monday. He's a rotation guy, potentially a starter, as a true freshman on a very, very good defense, but he's a low 4* on Rivals. That's silly.

Newkirk is the one I really think is underrated. He looks dynamic inside. I'll be really surprised if he's not immediately in the rotation in a loaded DT group. I know the JUCO rankings are always a little screwy, but he's underrated.

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday is the best safety prospect in the southeast, possibly the country. He’s also got an awesome personality. Expect him to play early and unfortunately only be on the Plains for 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Monday seems like Moultry last year. They moved him up late in the process, but it wasn't enough. I felt last year like you could see Moultry as a lock to contribute as a true freshman, but he was still just a mid-tier 4* on Rivals. That was too low, and he proved it this year. I feel the same way about Monday. He's a rotation guy, potentially a starter, as a true freshman on a very, very good defense, but he's a low 4* on Rivals. That's silly.

Newkirk is the one I really think is underrated. He looks dynamic inside. I'll be really surprised if he's not immediately in the rotation in a loaded DT group. I know the JUCO rankings are always a little screwy, but he's underrated.

Do we know Newkirk's current weight? Rivals has him at 290 & 247 has him at 282. On signing day the AU Football account tweeted out 260. Big difference that could determine how much of an impact he makes next season and at what position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to give my opinion on each of our commits.  Ratings based off 247 composite

 

Gatewood - rated about right

Monday - rated about right

Seth Williams - very very slightly under rated

McClain - slightly over rated

Asa Martin - rated about right

Tutt - slightly over rated

Sherwood - underrated 

Harris - slightly under rated

Oladele - rated about right

Shivers - rated about right

Irvin - underrated

Newkirk - slightly under rated

Jackson - rated about right

Stutts - rated about right

Marsh - slightly under rated

 

Unsigned Guys

Hill - slightly over rated

Miller - underrated

Jibunor - over rated

Fuqua - slightly under rated

Siposs - no clue

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rollingtoomers said:

Looking through 247's prospect rankings, it appears we only have one commitment rated in the top 100.  Even though we have a good number of 4 stars and are sitting at the number 10 class, it seems like we are a little light on the top tier recruits.  This makes me think we might have some that could be underrated. What are y'alls thoughts?  Is there any commit that you think is underrated and should be in the top 100 and why?   

I also wanted to comment on this as well.  This is a very solid class.  Just no huge star power but no bad players that it appears as.  I think this class per player will finish up somewhere around the Top 4 or 5 for AU all time per player average.

This is kind of how I break down the ratings.

95 and above - 4 year solid contributor (starter 3 years)

92-95 - 3 year solid contributor (starter 2 years)

89-92 - 2 year solid contributor (possible starter late in career)

89 and below - role player unless a specialist

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Jibunor - over rated

Please elaborate if you don't mind/have time. I've been excited about this guy based off sheer athleticism and what I perceive to be a fondness for contact, but I'm not qualified to break down film beyond that. In my daydreams, he's a Keanu Neal/Deion Jones/Kam Chancellor hybrid... who is evidently going to play a completely different position from all of them... lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Please elaborate if you don't mind/have time. I've been excited about this guy based off sheer athleticism and what I perceive to be a fondness for contact, but I'm not qualified to break down film beyond that. In my daydreams, he's a Keanu Neal/Deion Jones/Kam Chancellor hybrid... who is evidently going to play a completely different position from all of them... lol. 

He's very very undersized and I'm not sure his frame can handle 240lbs and still keep his quickness and burst which is what makes him effective.  He's sorta like Dee Ford but you could tell from Ford's frame he could put on pounds although it was very hard for him.  Jibunor is counted on being a Buck/WDE/OLB, and mainly a pass rusher.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

He's very very undersized and I'm not sure his frame can handle 240lbs and still keep his quickness and burst which is what makes him effective.  He's sorta like Dee Ford but you could tell from Ford's frame he could put on pounds although it was very hard for him.  Jibunor is counted on being a Buck/WDE/OLB, and mainly a pass rusher.  

I recently brought up the Dee Ford comparison, but I'm going to put that on hold for a bit because I forgot that Dee was a weight room legend. All the stories about him carrying a milk jug full of water around, bribing security at the fitness center to let him in after hours, etc. Jib might have that in him, but we certainly can't count on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McLoofus said:

I recently brought up the Dee Ford comparison, but I'm going to put that on hold for a bit because I forgot that Dee was a weight room legend. All the stories about him carrying a milk jug full of water around, bribing security at the fitness center to let him in after hours, etc. Jib might have that in him, but we certainly can't count on it. 

That and just basic frame Dee seemed to be built with a larger frame.  Like wider shoulders and such

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Please elaborate if you don't mind/have time. I've been excited about this guy based off sheer athleticism and what I perceive to be a fondness for contact, but I'm not qualified to break down film beyond that. In my daydreams, he's a Keanu Neal/Deion Jones/Kam Chancellor hybrid... who is evidently going to play a completely different position from all of them... lol. 

I think it will be a big mistake for the staff to pigeon hole him at Buck.  If it were me this kid would never put a hand on the ground.  Great athleticism as a backer who can cover and play sideline to sideline.  Think Deion Jones instead of Dee Ford.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford had/has broad shoulders, but he has like a 29 inch waist or something like that. He's a narrow dude. He played at 190 lbs. as a true freshman in 2009 (which was bordering on dangerous for his health... he got flattened like a folding chair a few times against Bama that year).

The way I see Jibunor is, he's either going to be a terror off the edge as a Buck/DE or he's going to slide back to OLB in the Darrell Williams role of coverage and pass rushing. Williams, at times, seemed to play more of a hybrid role than the Buck position did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know next year wr from Florence named cadarrius Thompson athletically has everything. Somebody get him here and coach him, you have an NFL.we in the making and I don't think he's ranked high, but he was first team 6A all state junior

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Punter from Australia. All kickers are underrated as they are almost all 3*'s.  But when you get one who changes field position for you it really helps your team.  It has been a while since our Punter was a field changer. From his highlights he has that type of potential.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The Punter from Australia. All kickers are underrated as they are almost all 3*'s.  But when you get one who changes field position for you it really helps your team.  It has been a while since our Punter was a field changer. From his highlights he has that type of potential.

Ask the Turds how much a kicker matters lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Ask the Turds how much a kicker matters lol

Enough to win 5 National Championships in 8 years I guess :dunno:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Enough to win 5 National Championships in 8 years I guess :dunno:

But it was despite their kicking sometimes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Zeek said:

Ask the Turds how much a kicker matters lol

FG kicker was weak for the Turds but their Punter kept changing Field Position.  Their Punter was one of the best in the SEC this year and really helped them keep other teams pinned in their own ends. With the D we had this year that type of Punter changes our year. LSU punt return doesn't happen so we win even with Gus going super conservative.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

FG kicker was weak for the Turds but their Punter kept changing Field Position.  Their Punter was one of the best in the SEC this year and really helped them keep other teams pinned in their own ends. With the D we had this year that type of Punter changes our year. LSU punt return doesn't happen so we win even with Gus going super conservative.

I think we're making the same point. I'm simply making jest at how Alabama has struggled with field goals at crucial moments and that shows the importance of a kicker. If they had a half decent kicker they wouldn't have to of gone into overtime with the dawgs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 4:38 PM, rollingtoomers said:

Looking through 247's prospect rankings, it appears we only have one commitment rated in the top 100.  Even though we have a good number of 4 stars and are sitting at the number 10 class, it seems like we are a little light on the top tier recruits.  This makes me think we might have some that could be underrated. What are y'alls thoughts?  Is there any commit that you think is underrated and should be in the top 100 and why?   

I think the difference in top 10 and top 5 is what really separates the good teams from the great ones.  You can't have iron sharpens iron if there is nobody equally as good to push the star player.  I think there are a few positions at Auburn where there are really good battles for playing time.  I think mostly though that the best players we have get playing time without grinding day in and day out against equal competition.  We just saw Freshman all over the field in the Championship game.  Who is really pushing who for playing time at Auburn?  

QB- Nope
RB- Nope
WR- Maybe but nobody has broken into the line up outside of Gus' original starters
OL- Probably had some good battles
DL/DE- I know Garner had these guys going at it
CB- Nope
Safety- Nope
Kick and punt returner- Nope

It takes great talent battling great talent everyday for a position to play to be a great team.  That's where a team that signs 7 or 8 of the top 30 players in the country has the advantage.  I just don't see players being pushed by other players in fear of losing a spot on our roster right now.  Thats where we need to be.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think the difference in top 10 and top 5 is what really separates the good teams from the great ones.  You can't have iron sharpens iron if there is nobody equally as good to push the star player.  I think there are a few positions at Auburn where there are really good battles for playing time.  I think mostly though that the best players we have get playing time without grinding day in and day out against equal competition.  We just saw Freshman all over the field in the Championship game.  Who is really pushing who for playing time at Auburn?  

QB- Nope
RB- Nope
WR- Maybe but nobody has broken into the line up outside of Gus' original starters
OL- Probably had some good battles
DL/DE- I know Garner had these guys going at it
CB- Nope
Safety- Nope
Kick and punt returner- Nope

It takes great talent battling great talent everyday for a position to play to be a great team.  That's where a team that signs 7 or 8 of the top 30 players in the country has the advantage.  I just don't see players being pushed by other players in fear of losing a spot on our roster right now.  Thats where we need to be.

I don’t know. Given Gus’ apparent pattern not sure that the talent isn’t there so much as it isn’t being given fair opportunity to really compete for PT (that’s the perception at least)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now