Underrated prospects

rollingtoomers

7 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think the difference in top 10 and top 5 is what really separates the good teams from the great ones.  You can't have iron sharpens iron if there is nobody equally as good to push the star player.  I think there are a few positions at Auburn where there are really good battles for playing time.  I think mostly though that the best players we have get playing time without grinding day in and day out against equal competition.  We just saw Freshman all over the field in the Championship game.  Who is really pushing who for playing time at Auburn?  

QB- Nope
RB- Nope
WR- Maybe but nobody has broken into the line up outside of Gus' original starters
OL- Probably had some good battles
DL/DE- I know Garner had these guys going at it
CB- Nope
Safety- Nope
Kick and punt returner- Nope

It takes great talent battling great talent everyday for a position to play to be a great team.  That's where a team that signs 7 or 8 of the top 30 players in the country has the advantage.  I just don't see players being pushed by other players in fear of losing a spot on our roster right now.  Thats where we need to be.

We aren’t to their level in that regard but starters and upper classmen are being pushed. Just bc their spots aren’t overtaken doesn’t mean they aren’t having to raise their level to remain starters.

10 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think the difference in top 10 and top 5 is what really separates the good teams from the great ones.

With due respect it doesn't. There have been just as many if not more national champs & runner ups with top 10 classes leading to their title run as top 5 classes.

I think @corchjay will agree with me. As far as the eye test goes of getting off the bus... MAN Cam Taylor is built like a lot of these 5 stars are!!! He just looks like a sec athlete. IDK about ability. I will defer to the corch on this one.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think @corchjay will agree with me. As far as the eye test goes of getting off the bus... MAN Cam Taylor is built like a lot of these 5 stars are!!! He just looks like a sec athlete. IDK about ability. I will defer to the corch on this one.

Unfortunately for him though he has legit academic concerns. I don't see AU taking him, risking burning that spot in the 25 limit.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Unfortunately for him though he has legit academic concerns. I don't see AU taking him, risking burning that spot in the 25 limit.

O really? I had not heard that till just now. That is unfortunate! I really wish we would take his teammate. We NEED another OL in this class. I am bullish about OL and DL like Mikey is about LBs lol. I know he is a guard and we need tackles but he is really good.  I am tired of hearing about the personality concerns with him lol. I wish we could find a way for him to get in this class. Oklahoma is going to get a good one in state. He performed much better at the AL MS all star practices than stutts from all indications I have read. 

Some of that is the position coach Garner constantly rotates players in and the ones who perform best are in at crunch time.  We have enough receivers to do the same but don't as much.  We started to see younger LB's getting PT but I am not sure if planned or because of injuries. RB is a real weakness there. In the past when we had more depth we saw it more at DB last year not as much. Next year with another bumper crop of receivers we should see if Kodi does more rotating.

O-Line most teams don't rotate much as they need the continuity and QB most teams only player number two when it is a blowout one way or the other.  The reality is Auburn is similar to most teams on rotation with the exception of RB which has been discusses multiple times.  It is a weakness Gus needs to overcome as a HC.

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He performed much better at the AL MS all star practices than stutts from all indications I have read. 

Early in the week yes. Later in the week he reverted back to under-performing as he did through a good bit of his Sr year.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Some of that is the position coach Garner constantly rotates players in and the ones who perform best are in at crunch time.  We have enough receivers to do the same but don't as much.  We started to see younger LB's getting PT but I am not sure if planned or because of injuries. RB is a real weakness there. In the past when we had more depth we saw it more at DB last year not as much. Next year with another bumper crop of receivers we should see if Kodi does more rotating.

O-Line most teams don't rotate much as they need the continuity and QB most teams only player number two when it is a blowout one way or the other.  The reality is Auburn is similar to most teams on rotation with the exception of RB which has been discusses multiple times.  It is a weakness Gus needs to overcome as a HC.

I really am not talking about rotating as much as talent pushing talent.  We get some star players at different positions every year.  My question is how many players do we have on our roster at those positions to truly push those guys for playing time.  An example would be who was pushing Holland this year threatening his starting position as a speed rusher off the edge?  We are not there yet.  This is where I see the difference in signing 8 top 100 players as opposed to none.  There are however exceptions to this where kids come in that are rated much lower but dominate.

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I really am not talking about rotating as much as talent pushing talent.  We get some star players at different positions every year.  My question is how many players do we have on our roster at those positions to truly push those guys for playing time.  An example would be who was pushing Holland this year threatening his starting position as a speed rusher off the edge?  We are not there yet.  This is where I see the difference in signing 8 top 100 players as opposed to none.  There are however exceptions to this where kids come in that are rated much lower but dominate.

Part of that goes with philosophy too. I don't know about now but for a long time Gus pretty much had the 1s & 2s going up against the Scouts instead of each other.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Part of that goes with philosophy too. I don't know about now but for a long time Gus pretty much had the 1s & 2s going up against the Scouts instead of each other.

Iron sharpens iron. It’s true in any endeavor- sports,business, dance, you name it. You have to be smart but best-on-best makes everybody better. I think this was part of Muschamp’s complaint when he first arrived, no?

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Our awesome coach Gus.  Come to Auburn.  We will get you to the next level as easy or as good as any other school.  Nobody can put you through the paces against inferior scout team competition like we can.  When it's your time, you will be mentally and physically duped into thinking you are much better than you are.

Maybe this is why is takes 3 games to get good every year.  The players have been going against inferior talent for 9 months.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:19 AM, McLoofus said:

I recently brought up the Dee Ford comparison, but I'm going to put that on hold for a bit because I forgot that Dee was a weight room legend. All the stories about him carrying a milk jug full of water around, bribing security at the fitness center to let him in after hours, etc. Jib might have that in him, but we certainly can't count on it. 

I am  bodybuilder/power lifter & the gallon jug thing is very common. Sounds cliché but it’s to stay hydrated & full, very common with guys who take a lot of supplements too. His body changed into a more of a body builder, than a football player. I work in Leeds which is close to where he was from. I work at a gym & have some of his old friends are members. They said he quit looking like  himself because he got so big, lol. Always loved seeing his arms pop out out on game days. He & Jay Prosch are the 2 most jacked players in AU history. Braden Smith is like Hafthor Julius Bjornsson. A giant freak 

4 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

He & Jay Prosch are the 2 most jacked players in AU history.

Bam Bam Johnson may have something to say about that. Dude was jacked too.

For the younger cats who don't know Brandon "Bam Bam" was the lead blocker for Ronnie & Cadillac back in the day.

And yes he got his nickname from this reference...

I still think Shaun Shivers is underrated, even though they moved him up to a 4 star. Kid seems like lightning in a bottle to me. He's fast (runs track at a high level), talented (best player in the region according to coaching connections in south Florida), and built even at 5'7 (@Momma Worm has said he's actually around 185 lbs, and that the family has a history of muscular men). Much as I like Asa Martin, I think Worm is the best running back we signed in this class.

10 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I still think Shaun Shivers is underrated, even though they moved him up to a 4 star. Kid seems like lightning in a bottle to me. He's fast (runs track at a high level), talented (best player in the region according to coaching connections in south Florida), and built even at 5'7 (@Momma Worm has said he's actually around 185 lbs, and that the family has a history of muscular men). Much as I like Asa Martin, I think Worm is the best running back we signed in this class.

Totally agree. Somebody told us awhile back that he's been the best player in South Florida for awhile; it's just that nobody who wasn't actually watch his games believed it. If you're even talked about as *possibly* the best player in South Florida- much like if you're one of the two or three fastest guys in the state of Florida, which he is- then you're one of the better players- and fastest guys- in the country, period. 

Archived