What players are out of bowl game?

AidiAU

Did I scare anyone with that title? 

Tagging in @passthebiscuits and anyone else who may know...is everyone expected to play? KJ? Tre Williams? 

And I just found out that we will be going. Now to find a paddle shaker and face tats....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

Did I scare anyone with that title? 

Tagging in @passthebiscuits and anyone else who may know...is everyone expected to play? KJ? Tre Williams? 

And I just found out that we will be going. Now to find a paddle shaker and face tats....

Thanks for the reminder on the paddle shakers.  I would have gone in with the regular ones.  Are you sure we need paddle shakers?

22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Thanks for the reminder on the paddle shakers.  I would have gone in with the regular ones.  Are you sure we need paddle shakers?

I know it was mandatory for the SEC game, which I thought was a venue rule. I wouldn’t mind being wrong though because I don’t have one! 

9 hours ago, AidiAU said:

I know it was mandatory for the SEC game, which I thought was a venue rule. I wouldn’t mind being wrong though because I don’t have one! 

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't the regular shakers allowed at the last second.  This is vital information!

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't the regular shakers allowed at the last second.  This is vital information!

I don’t know! We didn’t go to the game (hence the loss ???). 

That would be awesome if I could bring my shaker - it’s done well this season. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I walked in with one paddle shaker and one stick shaker. no one was checking to see what kind you had. In fact, they were selling stick shakers in the fanfare for the game.

• WarTiger changed the title to What players are out of bowl game?

Back on topic.  Carlton Davis did not practice today due to sickness.  It could be nothing, but at the same time he could be doing what Rudy Ford did and preserve himself for the draft but not want everyone to know what he is doing so he said he was sick.

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Back on topic.  Carlton Davis did not practice today due to sickness.  It could be nothing, but at the same time he could be doing what Rudy Ford did and preserve himself for the draft but not want everyone to know what he is doing so he said he was sick.

A mid to late round draft pick like Ford should have never held himself out of the bowl. Good grief.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Not sure what to hope for with this scenario. I would like to see him play but I hate to say I prefer the sick option which means he wants to play instead of sitting out (which I propose we call that sickness "gain green") ;D I respect that choice but selfishly hate it. 

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

Not sure what to hope for with this scenario. I would like to see him play but I hate to say I prefer the sick option which means he wants to play instead of sitting out (which I propose we call that sickness "gain green") ;D I respect that choice but selfishly hate it.

I hope he's not sitting out. I do not respect the choice of any player that sits out his team's final game. It's selfish, he lets his teammates, coaches and fans down and that is a pretty sorry way to repay the school that put you in a position to be rich.

I'll assume Carlton is indeed sick, there's a whale of a lot of flu going around East Alabama. Here's hoping he recovers by Monday, we'll want our top pass defenders out there against UCF's passing attack.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I hope he's not sitting out. I do not respect the choice of any player that sits out his team's final game. It's selfish, he lets his teammates, coaches and fans down and that is a pretty sorry way to repay the school that put you in a position to be rich.

I'll assume Carlton is indeed sick, there's a whale of a lot of flu going around East Alabama. Here's hoping he recovers by Monday, we'll want our top pass defenders out there against UCF's passing attack.

I could foresee a situation quite easily where a decision to sit out could be anything but selfish. If a player is (I don’t know Carlton or his situation) thinking about ensuring a monetary future for his family, which may very well be impoverished, over a bowl game, I’d be hard pressed to lose respect for him. Maybe gain it under those circumstances

If they say he is sick then I expect he is ill...and not just "protecting  his NFL future". 

IMO no reason to question the explanation being offered...unless the story from the coaches changes.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

If he were to sit out , the coaches and teammates would be the first to understand why.

I'd understand why too. Understanding a crappy thing doesn't mean it's not crappy. Any player that lays down on his friends, coaches and school for greed is very, very lucky I'm not a n NFL owner. I'd never draft such a person.

14 minutes ago, AUjcsbija said:

I could foresee a situation quite easily where a decision to sit out could be anything but selfish. If a player is (I don’t know Carlton or his situation) thinking about ensuring a monetary future for his family, which may very well be impoverished, over a bowl game, I’d be hard pressed to lose respect for him. Maybe gain it under those circumstances

I'd lose any and all respect for him. Permanently.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'd understand why too. Understanding a crappy thing doesn't mean it's not crappy. Any player that lays down on his friends, coaches and school for greed is very, very lucky I'm not a n NFL owner. I'd never draft such a person.

Yep. Because helping his team win the bowl game might not be very important to him, but there is some senior guard or tackle or somebody that knows this is probably their last game and is meaningful to them. 

The way I look at the whole "sitting out to prepare for the draft" is from a business sense.  Each player receives a scholarship for two semesters to play for that season, technically speaking.  So that season extends to the bowl game.  For me, I think they player has an obligation to play if they are healthy enough to do it.  Sitting out is a breach in the contract.

I know that is really technical, but I think if you were given a scholarship for that year, you need to fulfill your duties as the university fulfilled theirs to you in giving you every opportunity on the academic side.

In another sense, you can look at it like the NBA looks at their situation of making it illegal to sit out stars to rest them as fans paid for tickets to see the whole team play.  You could see a situation where college football fans pay a lot of money for a bowl ticket and become irate when the star player decides to sit out and the team loses because of it.

Auburn starting cornerback absent from Day 2 of Peach Bowl practice

121 shares

A key piece of Auburn's secondary was absent from Thursday's bowl practice.

Starting cornerback Carlton Davis, who left the SEC Championship Game before halftime due to a concussion, missed the second day of practice in Atlanta due to sickness.

On Wednesday, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn would not definitively say if Davis would play in the bowl game.

"He is here, the same as everybody," Malzahn said. "As it gets closer I will get into more specifics, but I think we are in good shape to this point."

Davis has 36 tackles with a team-high 11 pass breakups, interception and fumble return.

NFL Draft Scout and Walter Football project Davis as a first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft while Draftanalyst.com has him as a second or third rounder.

Auburn treating Peach Bowl as a 'business trip'

Auburn treating Peach Bowl as a 'business trip'

Auburn is taking a workmanlike approach

Linebacker Tre' Williams (shoulder) and defensive back Traivon Leonard wore orange non-contact jerseys during Thursday's practice at Georgia Tech's indoor facility. Running back Kerryon Johnson, who wore a non-contact jersey during the last on-campus practice on Dec. 21, did not do so on Thursday.

No. 7 Auburn (10-3) will practice again Friday and Saturday, which will also include a 15-minute open viewing period, before the Jan. 1 game with No. 12 UCF.

If he is sitting to protect himself (not from a previous injury). I would not be angry but I would send him back to auburn and just say it was to prevent the illness from spreading to others. Bowl games are for college players not nfl prospective spectators. I do however suspect it may be more to do with the concussion. I don’t have a problem with that. He was hurt and tried to give it all in iron bowl. 

i doubt he would sit back and no play because of fear of getting hurt. mr Davis strikes me as one fearless cat.

2 hours ago, AUjcsbija said:

I believe a situation like the above is the very definition of selfish.  His teammates may understand a player’s decision to sit out, but it is selfish none the less.  I will add, if the player is not 100% committed to play or he is playing afraid to get hurt, he needs to sit out.

I don't think Davis would be in Atlanta if he intended to just sit out the game. Until informed otherwise, there's no reason to doubt Coach's word that Davis is sick.

A lot of conjecture over what may honestly be a player is sick. He has played his heart out for Auburn. I hope he is ok and will play but even if he doesn't play and part of the reason is to protect his draft position. I understand. It also might help us find his backup assuming he does leave early.  Grown men and women who have never been in the players situation judging a players decision without ever having been in that players shoes is always amazing to me. Many of these young men come from backgrounds we couldn't understand so we shouldn't judge them.

Archived