What players are out of bowl game?

AidiAU

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okie QB Mayfield has missed some practices too...been suggested it's something flu like also 

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A lot of conjecture over what may honestly be a player is sick. He has played his heart out for Auburn. I hope he is ok and will play but even if he doesn't play and part of the reason is to protect his draft position. I understand. It also might help us find his backup assuming he does leave early.  Grown men and women who have never been in the players situation judging a players decision without ever having been in that players shoes is always amazing to me. Many of these young men come from backgrounds we couldn't understand so we shouldn't judge them.

Well for example, Tre Williams is playing in the bowl game.  He is hurt, and is also preparing for the draft.  Not to mention he has a child.  He said he wants to play because he wants to be there for his teammates to help them win.  I would say if anyone was to sit out, it would be Tre. 

39 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well for example, Tre Williams is playing in the bowl game.  He is hurt, and is also preparing for the draft.  Not to mention he has a child.  He said he wants to play because he wants to be there for his teammates to help them win.  I would say if anyone was to sit out, it would be Tre. 

So? That is one person's prerogative. As the poster as said above you, nobody in here is close to achieving what some of this young men may do in the future. Therefore to place judgement on how and why they may go about choosing to do something is completely out of place. Bryce love chose to play yesterday for Stanford. Cool. Christian McCaffrey opted not to risk playing in his bowl game. That is also cool. I think if you would take a poll from the Stanford coaches and players, IMO both parties would support both players decisions because they understand the situation. 

Another thing to consider too is prior to this game, the consensus from many experts is Carlton Davis is a projected 1st rounder. Not the same for Tre 

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

So? That is one person's prerogative. As the poster as said above you, nobody in here is close to achieving what some of this young men may do in the future. Therefore to place judgement on how and why they may go about choosing to do something is completely out of place. Bryce love chose to play yesterday for Stanford. Cool. Christian McCaffrey opted not to risk playing in his bowl game. That is also cool. I think if you would take a poll from the Stanford coaches and players, IMO both parties would support both players decisions because they understand the situation. 

Another thing to consider too is prior to this game, the consensus from many experts is Carlton Davis is a projected 1st rounder. Not the same for Tre 

I understand why they do it.  It is just that some of us, when we give someone our word, or commit to something, we follow all the way through.  Everyone is different, I know this.  But like I said earlier, the players signed a contract where their commitment for each season is in turn a schorarship for two semesters.  In a business sense, Auburn (or any college) held up their end of the deal, and finishing the season (if healthy) should be a responsibility of the player.

All of this may be for nothing as Carlton may be in fact sick.  Or he may very well play.  This is not an attack on him, but rather players who are healthy that choose to sit out their bowl game. 

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I understand why they do it.  It is just that some of us, when we give someone our word, or commit to something, we follow all the way through.  Everyone is different, I know this.  But like I said earlier, the players signed a contract where their commitment for each season is in turn a schorarship for two semesters.  In a business sense, Auburn (or any college) held up their end of the deal, and finishing the season (if healthy) should be a responsibility of the player.

All of this may be for nothing as Carlton may be in fact sick.  Or he may very well play.  This is not an attack on him, but rather players who are healthy that choose to sit out their bowl game. 

That's fair. My only issue with this is people will say this but support coaches who blatantly lie and turn their backs on programs who put them in positions of prosperity. Coaches who sign a contract and then bounce at greener pastures. I always see it as a business. It is nothing personal. Fans don't get that, but the players and coaches do. Our very own Gus Malzhan did that to Arkansas State. Left them right after the sunbelt championship. Didn't even coach the bowl game. Gus signed a contract, did he not? FYI, personal information, he told those boys he was not leaving them prior to the sunbelt championship game.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

That's fair. My only issue with this is people will say this but support coaches who blatantly lie and turn their backs on programs who put them in positions of prosperity. Coaches who sign a contract and then bounce at greener pastures. I always see it as a business. It is nothing personal. Fans don't get that, but the players and coaches do.

Oh yeah I understand your plight as well.  I don’t think it is fair at all with what coaches can do.  That is why I think there should be a deadline of when coaches can leave a program.  For example, I think that staffs should be in stone 2 weeks prior to national signing day.  Recruits should know exactly who they are committing to, and who will be coaching/teaching them for at least their first year.  

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

That's fair. My only issue with this is people will say this but support coaches who blatantly lie and turn their backs on programs who put them in positions of prosperity. Coaches who sign a contract and then bounce at greener pastures. I always see it as a business. It is nothing personal. Fans don't get that, but the players and coaches do. Our very own Gus Malzhan did that to Arkansas State. Left them right after the sunbelt championship. Didn't even coach the bowl game. Gus signed a contract, did he not? FYI, personal information, he told those boys he was not leaving them prior to the sunbelt championship game.

Another example of why I think coaches need a rule to where they are set in stone for the recruits sake is I know a recruit needs to commit to the school, not a coach.  But I also realize certain recruits learn better with certain coaching strategies.  For example, some players respond to coaches like Muschamp who only yell at them.  Others may do better with coaches like Steele who are calmer when teaching.  Some like a mix like RG.  If one coach bounces and a new coach comes in with a different teaching style that is not compatible, then that player could potentially fall down the depth chart and never reach full potential.  

Christian Kirk had like 180 receiving yards and 3 TDs in TAM’s bowl game as a junior as well. Sometimes these players can help strengthen their stock in bowl games.

Beginning to worry a bit....Mayfield apparently still under the weather.....hoping he is in good form on Monday though 

I'm really flip flopping in my response to players who choose not to play to preserve their draft status. Those of you who note the financial considerations of a player in an injury prone sport make a good point. Those of you who note the consideration they owe teammates especially but also the university & fans also make a good point. Let me note 1 other consideration. Bowl attendance is dropping already. If more star p!ayers skip bowl games so that fans believe their team has no chance to win, I would expect attendance to drop more steeply. What would that do to the whole bowl system? For those who say good riddance, I remind you it's a primary way for players to be rewarded for a good year & to begin preps for the next season (I'm clearly not talking about the CFP). I'd guess college football officials, TV sports officials, conference officials, etc. are significantly concerned. 

Avoiding injury excuse .....like Clowney a few years ago.   

If that's legit maybe some of the NFL bound players should skip the Ga Southern, Mercer and La-Monroe games since AU could probably win without them and no point taking a chance on getting hurt.   JMO but the Peach Bowl is just as much a part of the AU season as those early season games.....and hoping that everyone who is healthy will be looking forward to helping their team mates win game #11. 

4 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I'm really flip flopping in my response to players who choose not to play to preserve their draft status. Those of you who note the financial considerations of a player in an injury prone sport make a good point. Those of you who note the consideration they owe teammates especially but also the university & fans also make a good point. Let me note 1 other consideration. Bowl attendance is dropping already. If more star p!ayers skip bowl games so that fans believe their team has no chance to win, I would expect attendance to drop more steeply. What would that do to the whole bowl system? For those who say good riddance, I remind you it's a primary way for players to be rewarded for a good year & to begin preps for the next season (I'm clearly not talking about the CFP). I'd guess college football officials, TV sports officials, conference officials, etc. are significantly concerned. 

Bowl attendance is primarily dropping because these bowl games are a joke and money grab. I guess the kids can enjoy a free vacation but look at a lot of the bowl games prior to yesterday. Not even 3/4 of stadiums are filled for a lot of these games. There are too many bowl games as it is. There are way too many average to below average teams being rewarded. 

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Bowl attendance is primarily dropping because these bowl games are a joke and money grab. I guess the kids can enjoy a free vacation but look at a lot of the bowl games prior to yesterday. Not even 3/4 of stadiums are filled for a lot of these games. There are too many bowl games as it is. There are way too many average to below average teams being rewarded. 

The most amusing thing to me is that the ticket outlets are selling tickets for hundreds of dollars the day before the game, then you turn on the game and the stands are half empty. Someone forgot to pay attention to supply and demand in economics. 

another thing i am wondering is what did the players get in their goody bags for the bowls this year? i am not overwhelmed with the softball games and that sort of thing. are the bowls still ging out nice gifts or have they gotten cheap lately? the cheap thing is not a shot at the peach for the record. new facilities and all i would expect the mercedes folks to have some nice stuff.any does anyone know what they got?

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

another thing i am wondering is what did the players get in their goody bags for the bowls this year? i am not overwhelmed with the softball games and that sort of thing. are the bowls still ging out nice gifts or have they gotten cheap lately? the cheap thing is not a shot at the peach for the record. new facilities and all i would expect the mercedes folks to have some nice stuff.any does anyone know what they got?

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
Jan. 1, 12:30 p.m. (ESPN)
Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz Stadium)

$300 Vanilla Visa gift card by InComm; Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Bluetooth speaker; Fossil watch; football

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/12/04/Colleges/Bowl-Game-gifts.aspx

thank you 57.............

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The most amusing thing to me is that the ticket outlets are selling tickets for hundreds of dollars the day before the game, then you turn on the game and the stands are half empty. Someone forgot to pay attention to supply and demand in economics. 

Weather has been awful for many of the games...sitting in 30 or 40 degree day to watch some of these games ?  No way...but mostly they are like pre-season basketball in Hawaii....made for TV....not the local folks.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yep, I need to link a report that showed a good amount of teams actually lose money going to bowl games. Unless, you are in one of these higher profile bowls, the school has to actually recoup those tickets they promised to sell, as well as, pay additional costs for those every year things that go into bowl preparations for the school. Off topic, I know but I am bored.

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Weather has been awful for many of the games...sitting in 30 or 40 degree day to watch some of these games ?  No way...but mostly they are like pre-season basketball in Hawaii....made for TV....not the local folks.

That is another thing. Why is the heck the kids playing a game in the Bronx on a frozen field? So dangerous that some Boston college players chose to play in tennis shoes vs cleats.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is another thing. Why is the heck the kids playing a game in the Bronx on a frozen field? So dangerous that some Boston college players chose to play in tennis shoes vs cleats.

Yep...that was brutal.....and an amazing number of people out there watching......surprised anyone showed up for the game but that crazy thing playing it on a baseball field which was not suitable for frigid weather.   Navy played in similar conditions and ran all over Virginia ....and three only 3 passes. .. 

But IIMO, the attendance argument is not a good one.....might as well say there are too many basketball games .....just look at the holiday games involving top 20 teams where there might have been 1000 people or fewer in the stands....and the Charleston tourney that AU was in.   It's all about TV and ticket revenue seems to just be the icing to cover the actual expenses of putting on the tournament.  .

But there is good news......we have finally reached the point where some good teams are playing each other and these should add to the "superior conference" arguments. 

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep...that was brutal.....and an amazing number of people out there watching......surprised anyone showed up for the game but that crazy thing playing it on a baseball field which was not suitable for frigid weather.   Navy played in similar conditions and ran all over Virginia ....and three only 3 passes. .. 

But IIMO, the attendance argument is not a good one.....might as well say there are too many basketball games .....just look at the holiday games involving top 20 teams where there might have been 1000 people or fewer in the stands....and the Charleston tourney that AU was in.   It's all about TV and ticket revenue seems to just be the icing to cover the actual expenses of putting on the tournament.  .

But there is good news......we have finally reached the point where some good teams are playing each other and these should add to the "superior conference" arguments. 

Apples to oranges comparisons as schools are not biting the bullet in going to those games as college football teams are. For one , in a lot of those tourney, there is no allotted amount of tickets those teams are suppose to sell. The ticket prices are generally covered because their are several games played by multiple teams thoughout the tourney that cover the host tournament as a whole. Secondly, their are far more players on the football team versus basketball team. Not to mention, equipment guys, coaches, staff , etc. All of these, if not most of these guys have to be paid for to make this trip. Third, schools only receive a share of the bowl game money as a good bit go out to the conferences as a whole. CBS posted an article and found that in the 2015-2016 playoffs alone, there was a total loss of 3.7 million dollars lost for absorbed tickets not sold. That is the freaking playoffs. Now those schools can handle that because the generate enough revenue by the buttload. In 2016, the article showed that it cost Clemson 3910 dollars per person to travel to the playoffs. This is just not counting the football team either . Forbes posted an article in 2016 stating that up to 20 schools actually lose money going to bowl games .The reason why schools choose to do the bowl games and bite the bulllet? Marketing. Plain and simple. They will take a temporary hit for future treasures need be. 

These places have budgets. Holiday basketball tourneys aren’t expecting that turnout, especially during football season. They are just trying to make their budget . Most of these basketball schools realize, their money is made during conference play, conference tourney and the NCAA tournament. Heck, even in the professional world. NBA stagger their schedule with the NFL, so they don’t lose viewership . The NFL particularly changed schedules this Sunday so teams can have something to play for and it doesn’t effect their product. Viewership matters. A lot. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

This is what bowl games have become, TV content for ESPN. The old arguments about reward for a good season, money for the local economy etc.have fallen by the wayside. TV money is keeping lots of these bowls afloat, and live sports programming is the last solid bet for advertisers in a DVR world. I'm not complaining heck it's football when there's nothing else to watch, but it's changed a lot from when ticket sales could make or break a bowl game.

Good points DAG but even for small travel squads, I bet most teams don't break even going to those tournaments in the Bahamas, or Charleston or Hawaii.   

The similarity of basketball and football is this:    Basketball teams get to play some serious competition before their conference season and players get to go to some interesting places and have a good time....and they get the extra practice.....otherwise, why take those trips.        

The same typically applies to football which is why so many marginal teams bust their butts to get bowl eligible....not to play on an icy field somewhere,  but to allow the players to have a little fun paid for by the bowl committees...AND...to get the extra practice.    It's not just about the games themselves....they are just a means to an end.. 

None the less....too many or not too many....the solution is to just don't watch.  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Good points DAG but even for small travel squads, I bet most teams don't break even going to those tournaments in the Bahamas, or Charleston or Hawaii.   

The similarity of basketball and football is this:    Basketball teams get to play some serious competition before their conference season and players get to go to some interesting places and have a good time....and they get the extra practice.....otherwise, why take those trips.        

The same typically applies to football which is why so many marginal teams bust their butts to get bowl eligible....not to play on an icy field somewhere,  but to allow the players to have a little fun paid for by the bowl committees...AND...to get the extra practice.    It's not just about the games themselves....they are just a means to an end.. 

None the less....too many or not too many....the solution is to just don't watch.  

I am not disagreeing with any of that. Schools need the marketing value, players and fans want vacation, players need extra practice . My point is someone is making some money off of it. If CEOs and sponsors were losing money , there would not be a Zaxby chicken bowl hosted in whatever county,  USA. 

Archived