What players are out of bowl game?

AidiAU

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am not disagreeing with any of that. Schools need the marketing value, players and fans want vacation, players need extra practice . My point is someone is making some money off of it. If CEOs and sponsors were losing money , there would not be a Zaxby chicken bowl hosted in whatever county,  USA. 

Maybe but hard to see that much could be made under the financial conditions you describe.....somebody has to organize and make it happen and something pretty big like a bowl game its unlikely its gonna happen for free.   I think I read somewhere that the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce does the Peach Bowl. And I bet they know how to make money from local sponsors ,etc......otherwise, why go to the trouble?.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but hard to see that much could be made under the financial conditions you describe.....somebody has to organize and make it happen and something pretty big like a bowl game its unlikely its gonna happen for free.   I think I read somewhere that the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce does the Peach Bowl. And I bet they know how to make money from local sponsors ,etc......otherwise, why go to the trouble?.  

You just made my point. It is about the money. Not about vacation time or extra practices. It might be that for the school, but a good bit of these schools realize they will lose money for the marketing proponent. There is a reason why the gator bowl is now the Taxslayer bowl. Previous to the taxslayer bowl, it was the progressive gator bowl. Before the progressive bowl, it was Minolta bowl. So back to my example, if Zaxby's could not make money off of it, they would NOT do the bowl game. It is not about the kids. It is about profit. Now your example, the peach bowl. Yes, the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce ultimately is responsible for the peach bowl, but they did not originally have the peach bowl. The Lions Club were the ones who started the peach bowl, but they lost money due to lackluster attendance, only then did the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce take it over. These are money people. They have a very solid sponsor in Chik-fil-a, who also profits from it. This is also why I laugh when our fanbase was so upset that we couldn't get away from the peach bowl. Do you really think these guys (SEC, Bowl sponsors, etc) are going to pass up the chance of getting Auburn to play there? even though I bet the kids would have liked to be someplace other than HOTLANTA. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

You just made my point. It is about the money. Not about vacation time or extra practices. It might be that for the school, but a good bit of these schools realize they will lose money for the marketing proponent. There is a reason why the gator bowl is now the Taxslayer bowl. Previous to the taxslayer bowl, it was the progressive gator bowl. Before the progressive bowl, it was Minolta bowl. So back to my example, if Zaxby's could not make money off of it, they would NOT do the bowl game. It is not about the kids. It is about profit. Now your example, the peach bowl. Yes, the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce ultimately is responsible for the peach bowl, but they did not originally have the peach bowl. The Lions Club were the ones who started the peach bowl, but they lost money due to lackluster attendance, only then did the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce take it over. These are money people. They have a very solid sponsor in Chik-fil-a, who also profits from it. This is also why I laugh when our fanbase was so upset that we couldn't get away from the peach bowl. Do you really think these guys (SEC, Bowl sponsors, etc) are going to pass up the chance of getting Auburn to play there? even though I bet the kids would have liked to be someplace other than HOTLANTA. 

Ok. Your point is made. 

Is Carlton Davis for sure out?

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Ok. Your point is made. 

Is Carlton Davis for sure out?

Hold on let me text him and see. 

UPDATE:

Yes, he says he is preparing for the draft. But he put LOL so I can't be so sure.

/thread.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes, he says he is preparing for the draft. But he put LOL so I can't be so sure.

Could it be possible that he is LOLing because the kid that washes his jockstrap is still trying to text him? 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Could it be possible that he is LOLing because the kid that washes his jockstrap is still trying to text him? 

Pause.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/12/carlton_davis_peach_bowl_pract.html

BTW, for those who know how to search google, I did some investigating of my own.

Notes:

Missed another day of practice

Also this: 

• Auburn executed a trick play during kick returns, with a throwback across the field. As media exited, Gus Malzahn said "we have you a durn trick play."

Two things to takeaway.....C Davis will not play.....and we will try some other trick play....

JMO but that neither will have much impact on the game outcome.  

1 hour ago, au_bsci_04 said:

CD isn’t playing. Is going Pro. Most AU thing ever to say he’s ill when he just wants to sit.

He gets it 

I don't know if Carltons hurt or not. But IF he just chooses to sit I would have no problem with it. He has provided great value to his scholarship since he arrived and AU has benefited greatly from him coming here. As he has benefited from coming to Auburn.
I'm watching players from several teams in bowl games being coached by skeleton coaching staffs. Their coach(es) that had been with them all season decided to make a move to better themselves. No way I would blame a player for doing the same.

It’s not bad yet but what happens if a team like tOSU is talented but disgruntled with their second rate bowl? Can bowl sponsors start throwing fits when three or four sits causing the gameday experience to completely change? 

16 minutes ago, CR said:

I don't know if Carltons hurt or not. But IF he just chooses to sit I would have no problem with it. He has provided great value to his scholarship since he arrived and AU has benefited greatly from him coming here. As he has benefited from coming to Auburn.
I'm watching players from several teams in bowl games being coached by skeleton coaching staffs. Their coach(es) that had been with them all season decided to make a move to better themselves. No way I would blame a player for doing the same.

Dilly Dilly my friend 

So personally I don't like it if Carlton Davis sits, but I understand it if he does. 

Is it a fact he isn't playing, or is there still a chance he will? Has there been anything official?

6 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So personally I don't like it if Carlton Davis sits, but I understand it if he does. 

Is it a fact he isn't playing, or is there still a chance he will? Has there been anything official?

From what I've read, he has not practiced this week....and it's been a Gus rule that if you don't practice you don't play.  Can't see him changing that now.  JMO

I'm not a fan of opting out of a game if you're able to play.  Maybe I'm just old school, but putting yourself ahead of the team is BS.  If you hold to this train of thought, why not just pack it in after a team loses a couple of games and is eliminated for SECCG consideration?

It’s really not. Top players are sitting out of bowl games all over the country. I just wished we call it what it is. Id rather him play, understand why we won’t, we need NFL draft picks to be a thing again.

35 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I'm not a fan of opting out of a game if you're able to play.  Maybe I'm just old school, but putting yourself ahead of the team is BS.  If you hold to this train of thought, why not just pack it in after a team loses a couple of games and is eliminated for SECCG consideration?

Because that is an exaggeration.

5 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Didn’t carlton get in trouble in the SECG? Might not play bc of that?

Concussion 

Archived