2018 3* TE Matt Alaimo

GwillMac6

I'm no scout but that competition looks pretty bad to the untrained eye. And I've never seen an AU target with that many Ivy League offers. Just seems like a target out of nowhere?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Kid looks good.  The biggest thing I see is that he will need to learn to run routes full speed.  Right now due to superior athleticism he jogs his routes and is not very crisp on his breaks.  He also evidently hasn't had to against his competition.  Coaches will easily fix that.  Pretty excited about him.  I am praying we use him in order to throw 3 less WR screens in our games lol.

Glad you mentioned the route running . I watched the film again and noticed the same thing . Listen I know there is only one Gronk, but surely implementing some of the routes and schemes the patriots run could cause problems for the other teams with a type of te like this. Also the kid is still growing, so he could be really difficult to defend 

8 minutes ago, CR said:

I'm no scout but that competition looks pretty bad to the untrained eye. And I've never seen an AU target with that many Ivy League offers. Just seems like a target out of nowhere?

We actually offered him last Spring. The kid just didn't know because his HS coach was gone the day Porter visited his school back then & coaches couldn't have face to face contact with Jrs then which is what he was..

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We actually offered him last Spring. The kid just didn't know because his HS coach was gone the day Porter visited his school back then & coaches couldn't have face to face contact with Jrs then which is what he was..

OK did not know about that. Good to hear.

New Jersey tight end has Auburn 'at the top'

Olsclundhk6bgij2hfwf
New Jersey tight end Matt Alaimo will visit Auburn for the first time in January.

With the way we’ve used our HB, i.e. primarily blocking with the rare catch thrown in, I’d rather have an athletic true TE. I think we could run the offense we’ve been running no trouble but really expand our repertoire. Kid looks good, hope he ends up AU.

After missing on Luke Ford, Auburn finds new tight end target loaded with potential

Auburn finds new tight end target loaded with potential

When Gus Malzahn spoke to reporters after the early signing period, he gave a specific answer when asked which position Auburn would target in January.

“I really feel like we need a big-time tight end,” Malzahn said last Wednesday.

At the time, that looked like a clear public call to Luke Ford — the nation’s No. 2 tight end — who, at the time, hadn’t signed.

But that’s why it was an early signing period, not an early signing day. Ford committed to and signed with Georgia the following day to end any chances for Auburn. It put the Tigers in a tough position at tight end given the mostly signed outlook among the top tight ends across the country.

RELATED: 2018 Auburn recruiting big board

Opportunity looked bleak for Auburn to land one of its top options in the 2018 class. That narrative changed Wednesday night when a new offer went out to Matt Alaimo, a 3-star tight end from New Jersey, who — if you watch his film — brings an offensive versatility the Tigers have been missing from their offense the last few years.

Alaimo is the No. 27-ranked tight end in the country. And, until Thursday of last week, he was committed to Pittsburgh and had been since the summer. Ongoing communication with Auburn helped stall a December signing, which played a role in the Dec. 21 de-commitment from the Panthers.

On Wednesday, Auburn tight ends coach Larry Porter, who had been up to see Alaimo in the spring, called to make sure he knew he had a scholarship spot with the Tigers. It changed everything.

“I put Auburn on top of all the other offers I have,” Alaimo told SEC Country on Wednesday night.

Alaimo holds 26 offers from places such as Pittsburgh, Arizona State, Arkansas, Louisville, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and Vanderbilt.

Immediately, however, Auburn becomes the team to beat. After a few back-and-forth messages with Alaimo and some of my sources, I didn’t hesitate to put in my Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Tigers. A big reason for that? Alaimo has already called the Tigers his new leader and set up his official visit schedule to the Plains.

Alaimo will officially visit Auburn from Jan. 12 to Jan. 14. To take it a step further, let’s put him on commit watch when he makes that visit.

He may not have the pop that Ford would have, given the national recruiting ranking. But at 6-foot-5 and 235 pounds — and the pass-catching ability shown on tape — Alaimo looks like he has the potential to be the missing piece that’s been lacking from the Tigers’ passing game because of personnel setbacks at tight end.

Alaimo caught 44 passes for 671 yards and 7 touchdowns as a senior.

I would think it would be very hard for us to attract interest from tight ends considering our abysmal record of using them lately

1 hour ago, shabby said:

I would think it would be very hard for us to attack interests from tight ends co wondering our abysmal record of using them lately

For the 4001st time, we don’t use a receiving tight end because we don’t have a tight end with the skill set that Chip/Gus like. 

55 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

For the 4001st time, we don’t use a receiving tight end because we don’t have a tight end with the skill set that Chip/Gus like. 

for the 4002nd time is doesn't matter whether that is true or not. that is the perception. That is what matters and that is what explains our piss poor recruiting in that area.

6 hours ago, shabby said:

for the 4002nd time is doesn't matter whether that is true or not. that is the perception. That is what matters and that is what explains our piss poor recruiting in that area.

CJ Uzomah and the late Phillip lutzenkirchen say hello.  Both were recruited by Malzahn.  We just have not had a tight end as of late that is a catching tight end.  We had one in Landon Rice, but we all know how that ended.  Don't sleep on John Samuel Shenker either, who redshirted in 2017.  Actually we have a better history of using tight ends than Georgia, so the perception part is not correct.  It just seems like we haven't used tight ends in forever, when in reality we had used tight ends a lot until the 2015 season.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

CJ Uzomah and the late Phillip lutzenkirchen say hello.  Both were recruited by Malzahn.  We just have not had a tight end as of late that is a catching tight end.  We had one in Landon Rice, but we all know how that ended.  Don't sleep on John Samuel Shenker either, who redshirted in 2017.  Actually we have a better history of using tight ends than Georgia, so the perception part is not correct.  It just seems like we haven't used tight ends in forever, when in reality we had used tight ends a lot until the 2015 season.

I thought Lutzenkirchen was already at Auburn when Chizik/Malzahn arrived..

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Lutz's freshmen season was 2009 although he was primary recruited by Ted Roof.  His first three seasons were under Malzahn however.

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

One would think that if an SEC school offered the kid would find out about it, whether the high school coach was there that day or not. How could something that important not get relayed immediately? Just curious. 

25 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

One would think that if an SEC school offered the kid would find out about it, whether the high school coach was there that day or not. How could something that important not get relayed immediately? Just curious. 

This is the third player about whom I've seen this "the kid didn't know he had an offer" statement. Two this year and one last year. That seems ridiculous. It's at the same level as "Oh, your mother got run over by a train and killed last week. Sorry you weren't informed". It doesn't make sense.

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I keep hearing about this new skill set that Chip wants. And don't include Gus, as he has not tried recently to get us that 'new skill set' TE...

So what is this new skill set that Chip likes? 

And I agree that I want a TE that can be athletic and able to block, and catch well....To not use this type weapon, puts, to me, your QB in a harder position when WRs are covered, or you just need 7-10 yards for 1st down to keep the drive alive....

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

ANd that's on the coaches... for the last 2 years. And now we have a truly gifted thrower in JT, and looking at our year, he needed a receiving TE to help him, when he was in trouble or just needed 6-10 yards for a 1st down. I saw too many third downs, and less than 10, where all i saw was fly patterns and streak passes (and so low a %, we were not going to get a 1st down)...

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

ANd that's on the coaches... for the last 2 years. And now we have a truly gifted thrower in JT, and looking at our year, he needed a receiving TE to help him, when he was in trouble or just needed 6-10 yards for a 1st down. I saw too many third downs, and less than 10, where all i saw was fly patterns and streak passes (and so low a %, we were not going to get a 1st down)...

I would not say that.  No one knew what Landon Rice was going to do when he arrived.  Sal Canella was supposed to be a catching tight end, was the #2 JuCo TE.  So there is your last 2 years right there.  I am very excited to see Shenker though.  I hope to see him on A-Day.

Have to agree with @abw0004 on this one. I might've joined in with the criticism before, but we threw to Sal this year and he just refused to catch the ball. Auburn fans love to say our receivers can't catch, going back to 2011 and maybe before, and I've frequently and loudly argued against that. But there were too many times when Sal absolutely had to make the easy play and didn't. Instead of Gus deciding before the game that a player couldn't be trusted- his single biggest flaw since early 2015, IMO- Sal was given multiple opportunities before they shut him down. 

As abw said, we went out and got the right guy in Rice. He fell through unexpectedly and all by himself, and we did a really good job of getting the next right guy in Sal. It was absolutely the right move. We got him, we got him open and we got him the ball. This one's not on the coaches. 

If Shenker and Alaimo fall through, we've got a different conversation. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

This is the third player about whom I've seen this "the kid didn't know he had an offer" statement. Two this year and one last year. That seems ridiculous. It's at the same level as "Oh, your mother got run over by a train and killed last week. Sorry you weren't informed". It doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I’m not trying to stir the pot but some of this stuff just sounds ridiculous. I’m still shaking my head at the situation where one of our commitments was confused about the days he could and couldn’t sign. If these stories are accurate, we certainly need to tighten some things up from an operational perspective. 

13 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Seems like a kid who is talented against weak 5’9 kids in NJ.

Seems kinda like a blanket statement. Some of the catholic schools he played regularly send players to D-1 schools. NJ even has more players in the NFL than Alabama: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/nfl-high-school-states-2015-10

I’m obviously not saying the competition is better in NJ, but you can find good talent there. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I keep hearing about this new skill set that Chip wants. And don't include Gus, as he has not tried recently to get us that 'new skill set' TE...

So what is this new skill set that Chip likes? 

And I agree that I want a TE that can be athletic and able to block, and catch well....To not use this type weapon, puts, to me, your QB in a harder position when WRs are covered, or you just need 7-10 yards for 1st down to keep the drive alive....

If we land Matt: We will have a blocking TE (Harris), a pass catching TE (Matt), and a TE who can make duck faces into the tv camera (Sal). Maybe if we combine all of the 3's talents, we can have one cumulative successful TE.

3 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Committed to Tubs. Stuck w/ & signed w/ Chiz & Gus.

Archived