2018 3* TE Matt Alaimo

GwillMac6

New Jersey tight end Matt Alaimo places Auburn at top after official visit

AUBURN, Ala. — Matt Alaimo‘s first visit to Auburn lived up to expectations.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound tight end from New Jersey took his official visit over the weekend. It was his first time on the Plains, but as it’s currently trending, it won’t be the last. Alaimo had a lot of head coach time during his official visit to Auburn. He hung out at Gus Malzahn’s house and fished — also a first — in the head coach’s back yard.

Alaimo didn’t leave with a commitment, but his decision is much closer.

“Auburn is probably at my top right now. I haven’t seen anyone else yet. I’m really impressed by it, though,” Alaimo said. “The visit was great. I really love the campus. Obviously we went to see Coach’s house. He said he likes to have his players over and stuff like that. I had never been fishing before and I went fishing in his backyard. That was pretty fun. I really liked hanging out with the players. It’s a really good family atmosphere here. That’s what I really like about it.”

Since de-committing from Pittsburgh, Alaimo picked up to major SEC offers — Auburn and Texas A&M.

Alaimo’s official visit to Auburn is already in the books. He’ll now turn his attention to the Aggies. Alaimo will visit college station this upcoming weekend. It’s the only other official visit he has set in stone for the time being, though he’s been in contact with UCLA and Oregon.

For Texas A&M, it won’t be easy to top Auburn.

“It’s [been] pretty impressive. It would take a lot [to jump] Auburn,” Alaimo said.

Auburn’s sentiment is clear: The Tigers want a pass-catching tight end in this class.

Malzahn didn’t pressure Alaimo into a decision, but he made it known Auburn’s intent to haul him in for 2018. Alaimo said Auburn coaches will come on an in-home visit Wednesday. He said Malzahn and tight ends coach Larry Porter will be the ones to make that trip.

“They pressed playing time a lot actually,” Alaimo said. “He just showed us a powerpoint of all of the players they have coming back. I would have a good shot to play early here. That’s what I really like about it here too that I probably won’t get at any other school.”

Alaimo’s commitment timeline likely won’t take him all the way to National Signing Day. After the Texas A&M visit, a decision could be in store.

“They are telling me to be patient and if it feels right make the decision,” Alaimo said. “When I feel like it’s the right time to decide I’ll probably do it.”

As of Monday morning, Alaimo told SEC Country a decision is “coming real soon.”

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you pronounce his name? I keep reading it as A-lame-o

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

How do you pronounce his name? I keep reading it as A-lame-o

I just call him Matt Alamo! 

I expect his commitment to be the next shoe to drop and it might be before his aTm visit.

A little bit from both sides us and them.  Think Gus is ready to finish up the 2018 class and aTm I think filled their TE need this weekend with a commit.

31 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This kid is super athletic. Physical kid. Looks like he is very passionate dominating the opponent. He could be a weapon 

JDUBB I like your opinion but always want to warn against that this is some stud TE that will contribute early.  He’s a nice pickup but with Porter recruiting for almost a year now I thought we would land a little bigger fish in the pond. 

He looks athletic but also have to remember the competition he’s playing against.  Looks a little weak to me.  That doesn’t mean he isn’t talented or athletic 

Now that Joiner is on board, I personally believe he was asked to hold his commitment just like McCready at CB. We need two more OL, Quay Walker or Caleb Tannor, and one more DB. Justyn Ross is also a higher priority if we can get him on board. 

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just call him Matt Alamo! 

I'll always remember that...download.png

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

with Porter recruiting for almost a year now I thought we would land a little bigger fish in the pond. 

It usually takes 2 years to build up relationships to win big time recruiting battles, especially in recruiting areas new to the coach where he has to build up relationships with the high school coaches & what not.

Yet he has been the primary recruiter on 5 of our 4* recruits. I'd say he's done a good job in year 1...

Scwartz
Oladele
Irvin
Shivers
Harris

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It usually takes 2 years to build up relationships to win big time recruiting battles, especially in recruiting areas new to the coach where he has to build up relationships with the coaches & what not.

wait what?! so you mean I am going to be the positive one and coach is not? WILD! 2018 has us changing roles lol. Anyways I am here to defend Kayode. He helped a lot int he schwartz and kayode ugly recruitment for us. He is just getting going. He is going to be a force for us in florida in the future imo. WAR EAGLE! BEEEEEE LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIVE in Coach Porter! He has a great track record. He also was lead on stud 2020 rb who committed to us Deondre Jackson. 

https://247sports.com/Coach/Larry-Porter-622

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

wait what?! so you mean I am going to be the positive one and coach is not? WILD! 2018 has us changing roles lol. Anyways I am here to defend Kayode. He helped a lot int he schwartz and kayode ugly recruitment for us. He is just getting going. He is going to be a force for us in florida in the future imo. WAR EAGLE! BEEEEEE LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIVE in Coach Porter! He has a great track record. He also was lead on stud 2020 rb who committed to us Deondre Jackson. 

https://247sports.com/Coach/Larry-Porter-622

I added some signes & commits too. :cheers:

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I added some signes & commits too. :cheers:

celebration-5.gif

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

JDUBB I like your opinion but always want to warn against that this is some stud TE that will contribute early.  He’s a nice pickup but with Porter recruiting for almost a year now I thought we would land a little bigger fish in the pond. 

He looks athletic but also have to remember the competition he’s playing against.  Looks a little weak to me.  That doesn’t mean he isn’t talented or athletic 

Fair statement. After cowart I don’t trust recruits lol. But the potential is there 

6 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Doubt it now ?

I don't. We are still the team to beat. We get him if the staff takes him.

Tight end target picks up new Pac-12 offer

UCLA is a new team to watch in the Matt Alaimo recruitment.

The 3-star tight end from Montvale, N.J., officially visited Auburn last weekend. He’ll head to College Station to visit Texas A&M this weekend. Now, look for UCLA to receive a visit after the Bruins offered Alaimo on Thursday.

Alaimo was a potential commit-on-the-visit candidate. He didn’t end up doing that, though he left saying the Tigers were the No. 1 team on his list.

The Tigers will try to hold off the Aggies and Bruins — both led by new coaches. Some of this will come down to what Auburn’s final plan is with its last three or four spots. If Auburn thinks it’s ready to welcome a tight end right away, Alaimo could be pulled into the class quickly. If the Tigers feel like there’s another option, or that the 2019 class is the best way to go, that would probably open the door more for Texas A&M or UCLA.

Until that point, I still see Auburn as his final destination.

11 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Time to move this to the rivals forum. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

??

Not sure if related, but he was all set to sign with Auburn, we were a dream opportunity for him, blah blah blah. Then he leaves, no commitment, we take Joiner... I dunno. All of that went down kinda weird IMO. 

I may just be totally out to lunch here but if we were truly going to use a tight end in our offense I would have rather had this kid than Joiner. JMO.

@ClaytonAU is hinting at premium/VIP info which he knows better not to do & I wish he would stop. The thread will be moved when there is a public article written but it would be a surprise if he ends up in the class now.

Archived