2018 4* RB Harold Joiner Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

4 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I saw him play this year. He is big but plays more like a small elusive back. If the RB coach can teach him to play with a little more power than finesse this kid could be really good.   

Agreed but it's hard for a RB to change their running stripes although it can be done.

I’d rather we try to make him good then he go somewhere else and become a terror against us. That’s just me though. 

Saw how kJ went from speed and outside guy to power football and then that wait for the blocks to develope type back in two years under our rb coach Horton! Why can’t hjoiner  come in and change his style under coach Horton? He is the #6 rb composite in the nation and worthy not to be passed up by rbu imho!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I’d rather we try to make him good then he go somewhere else and become a terror against us. That’s just me though. 

I agree completely! I can’t count the times that I heard people refer to a player as soft, overrated, or just plays against bad competition. Then that player goes and becomes a STUD for one of our rivals. I want this kid for his size and athletic ability. I think he’ll be like Kerryon and change running styles once gets to the SEC

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Saw how kJ went from speed and outside guy to power football and then that wait for the blocks to develope type back in two years under our rb coach Horton! Why can’t hjoiner  come in and change his style under coach Horton? He is the #6 rb composite in the nation and worthy not to be passed up by rbu imho!!!

Then he should've joined the class when we had the numbers.  As is numbers are tight and we need a TE, two OT, a CB/S, and hopefully Quay.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think he will be committed before he leaves official visit or soon after!

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I agree completely! I can’t count the times that I heard people refer to a player as soft, overrated, or just plays against bad competition. Then that player goes and becomes a STUD for one of our rivals. I want this kid for his size and athletic ability. I think he’ll be like Kerryon and change running styles once gets to the SEC

Can you provide some names of players Auburn people considered soft then became studs at opposing schools?

Edited by aufan57
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Right now, Auburn is the only major school considering Joiner and even we haven't given him a committable offer. What that tells us is that the #6 RB in the nation is not a correct ranking. SEC schools don't pass on the nation's #6 at any position but everybody else has passed on Joiner and we probably won't take him unless we have some notable misses at other positions. That sounds harsh, but we have only five slots left and there are higher priorities than a third RB in this class.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW we are recruiting him solely at RB now that we lost Kerryon & Bubba.

A 6'3" 212lb rb?  Certainly not prototypical.  He might be one of those guys who figures things out on the practice field.

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Can you provide some names of players Auburn fans considered soft then became studs at opposing schools?

First two names that come to mind are Daron Payne & Isaiah Buggs. I’ll list more as I think of them. Daron Payne was supposedly overweight and lazy. Isaiah Buggs was supposedly soft and took plays off. 

Okay if the primary sources say this guy is more finesse at RB, even with his measurements, why do we think he will project positively at TE? Has he ever played TE? Does he have the attitude to be a physical blocker? How are his hands? Route running? 

Rather go after priorities.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Just now, CameronCrazy said:

First two names that come to mind are Daron Payne & Isaiah Buggs. I’ll list more as I think of them. Daron Payne was supposedly overweight and lazy. Isaiah Buggs was supposedly soft and took plays off. 

I can't speak for fans and their opinions don't matter anyway, but our coaches tried their hardest to get both of those. They were top priorities that we just couldn't land.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I'd rather get an already established Grad Transfer. He's not going to beat us at Ole Miss.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd rather teach him to block and move him to TE after his two week obligatory chance at RB. :laugh:

Or 2 days for some. Lol

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, toddc said:

KJ is the exception on running style change, not the norm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How about this.  Pistol formation with offset back beside the QB.  Shiver fakes the power from the offset formation and Joiner from the pistol back runs the counter following a blocking Shivers.  Oh I can see it happening, I can definitely see it happening.  5’6” power back blocking for a 6’3.5” finesse back.

Sounding seriously like AU is interested and probably telling him either commit now or no more offer

Edited by corchjay
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Then he should've joined the class when we had the numbers.  As is numbers are tight and we need a TE, two OT, a CB/S, and hopefully Quay.  

FWIW I don't think he has ever been a take for AU before potentially this weekend.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

I remember when people said kJ could never become an every down back, and similar saying Hj could never become a mean , nasty, power type runner! I believe he could and will if given the opportunity under couch Horton! Just too much talent to work with in him!

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Okay if the primary sources say this guy is more finesse at RB, even with his measurements, why do we think he will project positively at TE? Has ever played TE? Does he have the attitude to be a physical blocker? How are his hands? Route running? 

When we say TE we mean the pass catching Ephram type. We could have other guys that block.

And FWIW you don't have to play a position to have immense potential at a position before getting to college. For example, if Joey G had hypothetically decided he wanted to play TE there are many recruiting analysts & coaches that say he would be the #1 rated TE in this class ahead of notable Luke Ford & fringe 5* Jeremy Ruckert. Then again, Joey has shown time and again he will truck a B diesel style in a heart beat.

Seriously though he reminds me of a young Stephen Davis.  Very big frame with speed but way to much juke, shakes approaching the line.  However, Davis did develop into being able to run through tackles some on the edge and was a load to being down in the second level.  If he can be half as good as Davis in his later years in college then might be worth the risk.  

I stopped bashing this kid a long time ago.  He may need a redshirt but the upside is off the charts if he can just understand you can’t outrun everyone and sometimes the stick your head in there and get 2 yards is the biggest run off the game.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Okay if the primary sources say this guy is more finesse at RB, even with his measurements, why do we think he will project positively at TE? Has he ever played TE? Does he have the attitude to be a physical blocker? How are his hands? Route running? 

His route running and his hands are his best attributes imo.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Sounding seriously like AU is interested and probably telling him either commit now or no more offer

This is my guesstimated perception also FWIW.

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

I remember when people said kJ could never become an every down back, and similar saying Hj could never become a mean , nasty, power type runner! I believe he could and will if given the opportunity under couch Horton! Just too much talent to work with in him!

you are a man who needs a gif right now! me and @fredst can always sense when someone a little rattled needs one as a pick me up! lol

• Facepalm 1