2018 4* RB Harold Joiner Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

No one is defending him. All I did was say I’d probably rather have him than someone else. Ole Miss or anywhere else. If the staff wants to take him I bet they know better than most of us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

This shouldn’t be in this thread but a lot of that in my opinion is how Ashley, Sammons, Troxell and Sharpe are developing.  If we think we need a solid contribution next year I’m all for a GT.  I didn’t understand why we took Wilson last year.  Horton was ready and looked ready in my opinion the year before.

I dig that line of thinking coach! I think we def need depth at the tackles even if it just is a insurance policy in case our guys already in house do not develop in time for the start of next season. We def need ready day 1 guys.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think 6 because I don’t think anyone is counting Fuqua

And I think Fuqua might be the biggest miss for me because he’s extremely athletic and needs good coaching.  Him getting hurt really hurt out safety class.   

Edited by corchjay
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

If Fuqua gray shirts Auburn would have 7 slots available correct? That is if Gonzales doesn't count against the 2017 class since he signed with Memphis.

Not 7. 5 that we know of. We have 21 commits/signees right now & can take 25. If KF delays enrollment to Next January that's 5. If Carlito doesn't count due to enrolling at Memphis to be in the same year's limit then we would have 6 spots left.

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Weird way to describe it but where there is smoke...

Hey. I'm a weird guy. FTR I was picking at myself in the other post.

Edited by ellitor

11 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

No one is defending him. All I did was say I’d probably rather have him than someone else. Ole Miss or anywhere else. If the staff wants to take him I bet they know better than most of us. 

clay, we have not seen eye to eye on ummmm ANYTHING lately. I promise we fill find something that we both can agree on again brother! lol. 

Edited by GwillMac6

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Not about you Clayton. A number of AU fans want him. & that's cool y'all want him.

Just now, ellitor said:

Hey. I'm a weird guy.

Lol we know.:poke:

but was referring to the running back choices of Smoke and Joiner.  Play on his name and using it with the old saying where there is smoke there is fire.  

Guess I just made it even weirder explaining it.:ucrazy:

• Like 1

Just now, corchjay said:

Lol we know.:poke:

but was referring to the running back choices of Smoke and Joiner.  Play on his name and using it with the old saying where there is smoke there is fire.  

Guess I just made it even weirder explaining it.:ucrazy:

This is ME your typing to. Sometimes you have to explain jokes which takes funny out often times. Your joke was good though.

Unfortunately I'm just like Jeff Dunham sometimes when Sweet Daddy Dee is trying to school him in street.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not about you Clayton. A number of AU fans want him. & that's cool y'all want him.

I agree on the grad transfer route btw. But I think there is something special in this kid if we can get it out of him. Whether that be at RB (unlikely) or Mario Fannin role (more likely). 

• Like 2

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

I agree on the grad transfer route btw. But I think there is something special in this kid if we can get it out of him. Whether that be at RB (unlikely) or Mario Fannin role (more likely). 

That’s kind of my hope as well.  Swiss Army knife.  TE, RB, H-back... special teams beast.  He does those he’s earned his scholly IMO

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Just hasn't thought to update it. The reporters don't live & die by their picks nor do they check some of their previous picks much. Just checked the picks section. Ben made the pick on August 23rd during a very brief time Wonnum named AU his leader.

I’d want to beat KN in being the most accurate if I was in his shoes. Speaking of, KN just CBed Joiner to Auburn as well. 

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Here's the thing: There are only five or six slots left. The staff knows better than us what sort of shot we have with prospects that play positions of greater need. If we are offering a 3rd running back, it is an indication that we're swinging and missing on other prospects. That's nothing against Joiner. It's a numbers game and RB #3 is a fallback to fill a slot because we missed on a more-needed player.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Here's the thing: There are only five or six slots left. The staff knows better than us what sort of shot we have with prospects that play positions of greater need. If we are offering a 3rd running back, it is an indication that we're swinging and missing on other prospects. That's nothing against Joiner. It's a numbers game and RB #3 is a fallback to fill a slot because we missed on a more-needed player.

It's also an indication that Gus feels like he missed on guys already on the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I agree with you Mikey but he has the potential to help at a position like TE that we can use so if we give him a shot at RB and he does great we get a great RB but if he isn't what we need at RB we might end up with the kind of TE we have been looking for. That said if we can sign the OT or OT's we are trying to sign, the CB we want and Alaimo or Ross then we probably won't sign Joiner. He is a fall back but one with the type of potential to really help us.

If we have 5 slots I could go with 2-OL, 1-LB as long as it is Quay, 1-CB and 1 elite athlete.   If he is not ready for hitting he will be washed out next fall, if he is we could have a stud!

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's also an indication that Gus feels like he missed on guys already on the team.

I don't see it that way. It's an indication that we missed on players at other positions and Joiner is the next best available. Was signing two 4* RB's in this class an indication of past failures? We're trying to get four or even five WR in this class. Is that an indication of past failures at WR? Not at all.

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

No people are defending him because if he makes one major adjustment to his game he might be the 2nd best back in this class.  However that adjustment is very difficult to coach.  It’s totally on the kid.

Not sure if you know his high school coaches, but it is my understanding they dont do a great job.  This kid could use some humility, as I understand it also.  I would like to think someone (i.e. his coaches) would have told him back in the fall that very few big schools use a kid his height and running style as a feature RB.  If he jumped on being a TE, he probably would have gotten scooped up.  Like @bigbird said previously, I hope they do like other players ... you've got X amount of time to prove you are an SEC RB, or else you are going to be a pass catching TE.  

I posted this way early in this thread ... I've seen a video of him running a 7-8 yard IN route and catching a pass while doing a back flip.  The kid has athletic gifts.  I'd be shocked if they get used as a RB for an SEC school.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I don't see it that way. It's an indication that we missed on players at other positions and Joiner is the next best available. Was signing two 4* RB's in this class an indication of past failures? We're trying to get four or even five WR in this class. Is that an indication of past failures at WR? Not at all.

I think our speed was severely lacking and we needed to become more explosive.   That is what I am seeing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lala said:

I think our speed was severely lacking and we needed to become more explosive.   That is what I am seeing. 

We have one RB whose speed may be questioned, that's Miller. The other returnees, K. Mart, Barrett and Whitlow are all "fast". The two signees are fast.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

’d want to beat KN in being the most accurate i

He is. 90.5% to 85%.

Edited by ellitor

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Signing 2 4*s is normal recruiting. Suddenly showing renewed in a 3rd, big-bodied guy that we previously cooled on... immediately after the only 2 guys we've really trusted to carry the ball the last two seasons leave, with the main one coming as a bit of a surprise... is in large part a reaction to the current status of our roster. It's the same reason we went after another transfer at QB a couple years ago. Quantity is worthless without quality. Gus proved this past season that he's not terribly excited about any of the guys already on campus except, hopefully, Whitlow. Who has never stepped on a college football field.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mikey said:

We have one RB whose speed may be questioned, that's Miller. The other returnees, K. Mart, Barrett and Whitlow are all "fast". The two signees are fast.

I agree with u , the 2 leaving backs were the slowest with the exception of Miller but getting a potential back with this size a speed is an overall positive. Just think if he became our Derrick Henry?.       If you saw OU or some of the others top teams our O speed needed to get better across the board and we are seeing a commitment to that.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1