2018 4* RB Harold Joiner Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It always amazes me with our rich tradition with rbs how we are not bringing in a high 4 star or a 5 star rb every year. I mean this year we are even struggling to land 1 of our top 2 rb targets that is not committed elsewhere.

Instate kids at that. Meanwhile, we are offering kids in California. Bama, FSU, and LSU own Mobile as of late.  Bama controls Birmingham and most of North Alabama. Smart is locking Georgia down tight statewide. Richt is locking down South Florida pretty well. During the Dye era and the Tubs 6 game iron bowl streak, those were our areas. Now even Michigan is starting to pull recruits out of our backyard. We better decide who we are in recruiting and carve out some turf for ourselves or we will keep rolling out those 8-5s. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Instate kids at that. Meanwhile, we are offering kids in California. Bama, FSU, and LSU own Mobile as of late.  Bama controls Birmingham and most of North Alabama. Smart is locking Georgia down tight statewide. Richt is locking down South Florida pretty well. During the Dye era and the Tubs 6 game iron bowl streak, those were our areas. Now even Michigan is starting to pull recruits out of our backyard. We better decide who we are in recruiting and carve out some turf for ourselves or we will keep rolling out those 8-5s. 

This all boils down to negative recruiting.  We are seeing it with plenty of other kids as well.  All of these other coaches are talking about how CGM is on the hot seat every year.  As long as those rumors can be spread then why would a kid come to play in this offense?  CGM has done a great job to bring in lots of talent but until these rumors are stopped then he is always going to have issues.

• Like 2

We drive up to Clemson and get a W,  then the table will have been fully reset for many things.  If we roll out some crazy gameplan again....let's just get the W.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

It always amazes me with our rich tradition with rbs how we are not bringing in a high 4 star or a 5 star rb every year. I mean this year we are even struggling to land 1 of our top 2 rb targets that is not committed elsewhere.

As was said in another thread. We are getting negatively pounded on the trail. Gotta win big this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

As was said in another thread. We are getting negatively pounded on the trail. Gotta win big this year.

This seems to be the case every year. I know we didn't have the best team last year, but we did wind up 3rd or 4th in the SEC when all was said and done so it is a bit odd to me that Gus still has to deal with  this.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

This all boils down to negative recruiting.  We are seeing it with plenty of other kids as well.  All of these other coaches are talking about how CGM is on the hot seat every year.  As long as those rumors can be spread then why would a kid come to play in this offense?  CGM has done a great job to bring in lots of talent but until these rumors are stopped then he is always going to have issues.

You are correct. A lot of negative recruiting is happening for sure. But LSU and UGA have both had similar challenges as us the past couple of years in terms of wins and losses and coaching changes. Recruiting is also about strategy and relentless effort. Last year for instance, we put an SEC rookie coach in charge of Mobile. Bad strategy. That's where LSU, FSU, and BAMA assign their top recruiters. The best way for Gus to stop the negative recruiting is outworking and outrecruiting our major competitors, then winning games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

This post needs some reality injected in it. In the past 5 classes we have only missed on 2 recruits in the Mobile area we wanted. Ryan Johnson & Jonathan Cook. We signed the other 5 from the area that we wanted. Losing 2 out of 7 is not getting owned by other teams. Now you may think we should have offered other kids in the area that went to those schools. We didn't though so that a different argument.

We have gotten our share out of B'Ham.

On Michigan, they got 1 recruit we wanted in Nico but when CDC left he wouldn't give us the time of day after that. The other in state kid they got was Jammarick Woods who we did not offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

It had not hurt us in state much yet. It will start to if we miss on Joiner & Asa

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The best way for Gus to stop the negative recruiting is ...winning games. Specifically Bama & UGA

FIFY

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Then the way I see it is:

Jake Taylor: [Jake stands up] Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do. 
Roger Dorn: What's that? 
Jake Taylor: Win the whole @&$#*¥€ thing!

American Classic - Major League 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

This seems to be the case every year. I know we didn't have the best team last year, but we did wind up 3rd or 4th in the SEC when all was said and done so it is a bit odd to me that Gus still has to deal with  this.

besides the optimism for Stidham and 1 more win in 2016 as opposed too 2015 this off season is the exact same I swear as last offseason. Same questions about Gus. Same things being said over and over like just got too win. Gus is never going to tank like a chizik did. He is too decent of a coach for that and even better at things like not losing the team. They never have really quit on him and we rarely have got blown out in the gus era. I can easily see a lot of 8-5 and 9-4 seasons if Gus is allowed to continue with MAYBE a 2013 similar season every now and then if we get some breaks to go our way. That will never get the negative recruiting off his back tho because it will be wash rinse repeat. I really do not know how to rectify the problem is. Having said all that this will easily be our best season since 2013 imo if stidham stays healthy. Gus as is most coaches is a totally different coach with a good QB.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

You are correct. A lot of negative recruiting is happening for sure. But LSU and UGA have both had similar challenges as us the past couple of years in terms of wins and losses and coaching changes. Recruiting is also about strategy and relentless effort. Last year for instance, we put an SEC rookie coach in charge of Mobile. Bad strategy. That's where LSU, FSU, and BAMA assign their top recruiters. The best way for Gus to stop the negative recruiting is outworking and outrecruiting our major competitors, then winning games. 

It is just a lot easier to negative recruit against us because we do not have the built in advantages like Lsu and Thuga have going for them. It takes things to go monumentally wrong for them too not do well in recruiting. A combination of a bad head coach/ not that great of a recruiter and bad seasons among other things. They were born on third base when it comes too recruiting we were born on first. We do not have nearly the same built in advantages as those state schools do especially with a program with our rich tradition and history. We have been recruiting well in spite of it. I have always been of the mindset of all the top programs give or take a couple that our coaches just have too work harder than any of the others when it comes to recruiting and  have too really be locked in on their sales pitch and bond with a kid moreso than other schools because not a lot of kids grow up to be AU fans outside of some affiliation to Auburn usually. I mean heck how many times has a kid been a "fan" of AU then gone somewhere else when we wanted them? It is just harder for us because in the state it is about I would say 80% bama fans maybe even more. They are everywhere. Bama influence is at all these high school programs across the state.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

This post needs some reality injected in it. In the past 5 classes we have only missed on 2 recruits in the Mobile area we wanted. Ryan Johnson & Jonathan Cook. We signed the other 5 from the area that we wanted. Losing 2 out of 7 is not getting owned by other teams. Now you may think we should have offered other kids in the area that went to those schools. We didn't though so that a different argument.

On Michigan, they got 1 recruit we wanted in Nico but when CDC left he wouldn't give us the time of day after that. The other in state kid they got was Jammarick Woods who we did not offer.

I humbly stand corrected. I went back in and looked and you are right. Perception is a funny thing. Seems like we have lost a lot of mojo in Mobile but we are holding our own there. WDE

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

besides the optimism for Stidham and 1 more win in 2016 as opposed too 2015 this off season is the exact same I swear as last offseason. Same questions about Gus. Same things being said over and over like just got too win. Gus is never going to tank like a chizik did. He is too decent of a coach for that and even better at things like not losing the team. They never have really quit on him and we rarely have got blown out in the gus era. I can easily see a lot of 8-5 and 9-4 seasons if Gus is allowed to continue with MAYBE a 2013 similar season every now and then if we get some breaks to go our way. That will never get the negative recruiting off his back tho because it will be wash rinse repeat. I really do not know how to rectify the problem is. Having said all that this will easily be our best season since 2013 imo if stidham stays healthy. Gus as is most coaches is a totally different coach with a good QB.

I would be more than  ok with multiple 8-5 seasons as long as Gus can give us a 2013 season once every 4 or 5 years. A lot of people on this site will probably criticize me for that, but I am almost 40 and haven't ever seen the level of success we have had since Cam so my expectations are fairly realistic. 

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

I would be more than  ok with multiple 8-5 seasons as long as Gus can give us a 2013 season once every 4 or 5 years. A lot of people on this site will probably criticize me for that, but I am almost 40 and haven't ever seen the level of success we have had since Cam so my expectations are fairly realistic. 

Pat Dye showed with the right coach in place AU can strive to be better than that and consistently compete and win sec titles in back to back years and have back to back 10 win seasons. With the way we have been recruiting we should be getting a lot better results back than we have. Auburn is a sleeping giant. Heck even with our bi polar ways we are still the 12th most winning program of all time. Just think how high we could be if we had more consistency and had some back 2 back 10 win seasons. In the last 5 seasons only 5 schools have had 5 consecutive top 10 classes: Bama, Ohio State, Fsu, Lsu and Auburn. Which one now sticks out as the team who has not done as well with those classes? US! The others perennially win 10 games a year most years.

• Like 4

before YOU KNOW WHO lol says get back on topic I will bring it back full circle. Joiner is a BEAST! AU needs a back of his size in the stable.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

before YOU KNOW WHO lol says get back on topic I will bring it back full circle. Joiner is a BEAST! AU needs a back of his size in the stable.

Imagine having Shiver and Joiner in the same backfield. One you can't find, and the other one you can't get out of the way of. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It was only 2 posts off topic. The jab was unnecessary.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It was only 2 posts off topic. The jab was unnecessary.

the lol shows it was a friendly jab.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Imagine having Shiver and Joiner in the same backfield. One you can't find, and the other one you can't get out of the way of. 

YES! add in asa martin and it would be a heck of a haul.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Joiner is big no doubt but he does not run like a protypical big back to contact. He runs like a smaller back, using agility & what not.

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

That isn't really comparing apples to apples. We all know why we signed those other 5. Do think T-Will is going to do just fine in Mobile. 

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It is just a lot easier to negative recruit against us because we do not have the built in advantages like Lsu and Thuga have going for them. It takes things to go monumentally wrong for them too not do well in recruiting. A combination of a bad head coach/ not that great of a recruiter and bad seasons among other things. They were born on third base when it comes too recruiting we were born on first. We do not have nearly the same built in advantages as those state schools do especially with a program with our rich tradition and history. We have been recruiting well in spite of it. I have always been of the mindset of all the top programs give or take a couple that our coaches just have too work harder than any of the others when it comes to recruiting and  have too really be locked in on their sales pitch and bond with a kid moreso than other schools because not a lot of kids grow up to be AU fans outside of some affiliation to Auburn usually. I mean heck how many times has a kid been a "fan" of AU then gone somewhere else when we wanted them? It is just harder for us because in the state it is about I would say 80% bama fans maybe even more. They are everywhere. Bama influence is at all these high school programs across the state.

It's really easy to negative recruit Gus because Gus is suppose to be a offensive guru. And AU's offense has been pretty unspectacular the last couple of years. That is where Gus is getting hammered. Need 2017 to be a big year. 

• Like 5

On 4/7/2017 at 9:54 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's really easy to negative recruit Gus because Gus is suppose to be a offensive guru. And AU's offense has been pretty unspectacular the last couple of years. That is where Gus is getting hammered. Need 2017 to be a big year. 

Agree. Pretty optimistic after the Spring Game if CGM lets our OC coach and call the plays when the season comes. I honestly think we have a very decent chance to beat Clemson. If we do, the negative recruiting should die down and I think recruits will be excited about us again. We may have both a really good D.C. and OC at Auburn at the same time. If it lasts for several years, this could be lots of fun!

• Like 2