2018 4* RB Harold Joiner Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

What Harold Joiner needs to see from Auburn

Top running back target Harold Joiner’s favorites haven’t changed.

Auburn and LSU continue to lead the pack. Ole Miss is the program closest to cracking that top group. That news might be somewhat surprising to some with Joiner fresh off an Alabama offer, but Joiner insists nothing has changed.

“No, it didn’t,” Joiner said.

The 6-foot-3 running back returned to Auburn for the A-Day game on Saturday.

Emphasizing the term “running back” is majorly important for Joiner, which is why Auburn and LSU sit atop his list. Many programs haven’t explicitly told Joiner they want him in the backfield. LSU, especially, has been the most clear on that subject, which is why the Bayou Bengals might hold a slight advantage right now.

DSC_0021-4_h7jd8t.jpg
Auburn RB target Harold Joiner, standing next to coach Gus Malzahn (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

But with Auburn and LSU emphasizing a running back role, that helps each school’s chances.

“It puts them up there. It helps me out. I like them more that way. … LSU is making it more clear, but Auburn is telling me that also. LSU is telling me I have a great chance to start my freshman year. They say I’ll fit in perfect with their offense,” Joiner said. “Malzahn was just telling me I was a key guy for them. My primary position will be running back, that’s what he told me. He said I would get out to wideout some.”

Joiner’s big problem (and it’s not really a problem at all): He looks like he can do everything.

At 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, he looks like he could be an elite running back, wide receiver, tight end, safety or linebacker. That high-level athleticism has some programs curious about how they could use Joiner in a multi-purpose way.

But Joiner wants stability. He also wants a chance to see the field early.

“I want a family team. I need to see a little bit of talking about playing time in there. And great coaches ready to compete for a championship,” Joiner said. “Coach (Tim) Horton said I could play my freshman year. … I feel like that’s really important.”

On 4/10/2017 at 10:48 AM, ellitor said:

What I took away from this was dang AU just recruit him exclusively as a RB talk just RB too him and he will be ours. We were on him before anyone as well. Hope that pays off in the end.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What I took away from this was dang AU just recruit him exclusively as a RB talk just RB too him and he will be ours. We were on him before anyone as well. Hope that pays off in the end.

It's my hope that CCL's use of RBs shows that Joiner can be strictly an RB who just so happens to catch lots of passes- paging Kerryon Johnson- but I'm not sure if he's going to be waiting around long enough to find out for sure. 

On 4/11/2017 at 0:53 PM, McLoofus said:

It's my hope that CCL's use of RBs shows that Joiner can be strictly an RB who just so happens to catch lots of passes- paging Kerryon Johnson- but I'm not sure if he's going to be waiting around long enough to find out for sure. 

We are recruiting him at RB & a bit at WR though, not strictly RB like Corndog State is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We are recruiting him at RB & a bit at WR though, not strictly RB like Corndog State is.

I ain't liking where our RB recruiting is going. We don't lead for any of the guys we have on top of the board. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I ain't liking where our RB recruiting is going. We don't lead for any of the guys we have on top of the board. 

:(

What do you think's going on? Horton phoning it in? Porter taking some time establishing connections? CLL added to the negative recruiting mix (not that I would know why)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

What do you think's going on? Horton phoning it in? Porter taking some time establishing connections? CLL added to the negative recruiting mix (not that I would know why)?

Looks look we slow played Martin and just plain messing up with Joiner by throwing in the WR position. The kid from Tenseness was always going to be a hard pull and the top guy on the board isn't going to decommit from Miami.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I will never worry about our rbs and their production under GUS. He could get rusty williams and clifton robinson to 1k yards in his system. I do agree with you tho it is perplexing why we do not have 5 star studs beating down our door to come here. Even tho we have had a 1k yard rusher every year under gus going back to his OC days I think some of it has to do with none of those guys hitting in the NFL and becoming a star like some of the schools we recruit against regularly have.  Regardless I think Devan Barrett is a absolute franchise back and is going to be special after a redshirt year once he has a full year of a college weight room under his belt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Looks look we slow played Martin and just plain messing up with Joiner by throwing in the WR position. The kid from Tenseness was always going to be a hard pull and the top guy on the board isn't going to decommit from Miami.  

I still think AU gets Asa Martin in the end don't you? If we had slow played him and another team led like bama or lsu with those great recruiters I would be worried. I don't want to jinx it and knock on wood to this but swamp donkey jimmy mac does not scare me when it comes to recruiting. Especially when the kid lives in alabama. He is not exactly known as the best recruiter. I do agree Joiner is probaly gone.

I will be legitimately pissed if LSU & Florida comes into our state and steals the top 2 RB's! It's one thing to lose them to UAT (I'd still be pissed) but it's another to lose them to outsiders. I don't understand why we aren't getting the best of the best RB's out there.

In 2009, we had Seatrunk, Lattimore, and Dyer all leaning to Auburn at one point. Since then, we haven't been able to have that same success on the recruiting trail. And it's surprising too with all of our tradition and Horton being one of our better all-around coaches. 

• Like 2

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I will never worry about our rbs and their production under GUS. He could get rusty williams and clifton robinson to 1k yards in his system. I do agree with you tho it is perplexing why we do not have 5 star studs beating down our door to come here. Even tho we have had a 1k yard rusher every year under gus going back to his OC days I think some of it has to do with none of those guys hitting in the NFL and becoming a star like some of the schools we recruit against regularly have.  Regardless I think Devan Barrett is a absolute franchise back and is going to be special after a redshirt year once he has a full year of a college weight room under his belt.

With you on Barrett, and also with you on our production no matter who's back there. As for the guys we've put in the NFL, we have tended to elevate them above their recruiting rankings to even get them there in the first place, so their lack of production after the fact shouldn't be a huge negative in recruiting for us.

Pettway will dominate, and somebody else will dominate after him. But it seems like we have a window right now and should be turning the Cam Akers-type guys into Heisman finalists. I mean, if we could do it with Tre Mason...

I'd get it if this were the NFL and there was only so much pie to go around. In that case, heck yeah, focus on the other positions and let some SWAMP DONKEY (YES!!!) tote the rock. But it's not, and it seems like we should have the occasional Ferrari parked in the driveway. At some point we'll need one to win. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I still think AU gets Asa Martin in the end don't you? If we had slow played him and another team led like bama or lsu with those great recruiters I would be worried. I don't want to jinx it and knock on wood to this but swamp donkey jimmy mac does not scare me when it comes to recruiting. Especially when the kid lives in alabama. He is not exactly known as the best recruiter.

He has said he has the best relationship with the UF RB coach. Time will tell if it's insurmountable but at the very least that's a problem that AU has to overcome to get Asa.

5 hours ago, Metalsinger418 said:

I dont get it either. We have a 1000 yard rusher every year. If you start at rb for us you go to the nfl... is it Horton? 

No. Before we got Chip Gus told Horton who to go after & how hard.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

He has said he has the best relationship with the UF RB coach. Time will tell if it's insurmountable but at the very least that's a problem that AU has to overcome to get Asa.

Also think Martin is still upset at Gus for slow playing him. Kinda the, if I wasn't good enough for Gus a couple weeks ago what changed deal. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Pettway will dominate, and somebody else will dominate after him. But it seems like we have a window right now and should be turning the Cam Akers-type guys into Heisman finalists. I mean, if we could do it with Tre Mason...

This.  So much this.

SECCountry update

4-star RB Harold Joiner, Mountain Brook

alabama-alabama recruiting-alabama crimson tide-harold joiner
4-star RB Harold Joiner (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

Kirschner: Although Joiner has the versatility to play many positions on the field, Joiner is set on playing running back at the next level. What’s interesting about that is, if he knew he was finished growing, he would already be committed to LSU. Joiner says he won’t make a decision until at least late October. He’s waiting to see if he will grow some more. If he does, he’ll likely have to switch to wide receiver or tight end. In that case, LSU wouldn’t be as likely an option. I’ve never heard of a prospect who doesn’t want to continue growing. He wants to stay at 6-foot-3, so he can play running back in college.

Wolk: What can this guy not do? In his 30 minutes with SEC Country, Joiner did multiple backflips and threw a football nearly 60 yards with a perfect spiral. It’s no wonder some programs can’t figure out what position they want the former basketball standout to play. LSU has made running back more clear than any other school, but Joiner (only 16) knows he might not be done growing. At 6-foot-3 and 217 pounds, Joiner has accepted if he grows, he will be forced away from the running back position altogether. If that happens, it could alter his recruitment. For now, LSU is sitting pretty for the running back version of Joiner.

I honestly don't get players in today's game preferring RB over other positions. With a few exceptions they're pretty disposable in the NFL, while safety ,linebacker, etc are probably more valuable than ever.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Interesting the article references height as a barrier for being a RB. Eddie George - Heisman and let's not forget Brandon Jacobs.

Edited by AlaskanFAN

I admire Gus for being a straight shooter but it appears as if other teams often do a better job of telling recruits what they want to hear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Interesting the article references height as a barrier for being a RB. Eddie George - Heisman and let's not forget Brandon Jacobs.

Those are (6'3 and 6'4, respectively) exceptions to the rule. Derrick Henry (6'3), Steven Jackson (6'2) and Christian Okoye (I think he was tall) are also tall, but I bet you'd be hard pressed to come up with many more than that off the top of your head. 

This guy's 6'3 at 16 years old. He might be 6'6 by the time he's a sophomore in college. 

• Like 2

Brandon Jacobs was a 6'4 and 260+ RB. It really sucks that he wants to play RB at LSU. I want to do whatever it takes to sign him, but I want to eventually see him at RB at Auburn. I think he's going to be a monster.

• Like 1