2018 4* RB Harold Joiner Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Likely wouldn't help. Pretty sure he wants to go to a team still solely recruiting him at RB. There are still many team recruiting him, not sure which ones at RB but it only takes 1.

I never have really understood many of these recruits' desire to play RB when many coaches at the college level feel they would be better suited for another position. You see this with other players as well (Tae Provens to name one). You would think that kids like Joiner who are so talented and might have a chance to play in the NFL would take these coaches' advice and play at the position where they would be most successful on the next level.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I never have really understood many of these recruits' desire to play RB when many coaches at the college level feel they would be better suited for another position. You see this with other players as well (Tae Provens to name one). You would think that kids like Joiner who are so talented and might have a chance to play in the NFL would take these coaches' advice and play at the position where they would be most successful on the next level.

Sure glad Nick Marshall decided to play the position he wanted to and not the one college coaches said was best for him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

This is one of those things that used to be decided in fall camp. Put him at RB versus the 1st team defense the first week in pads. If he excels, he's a RB. If not he gets moved. Now its based on recruiting promises. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Sure glad Nick Marshall decided to play the position he wanted to and not the one college coaches said was best for him.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but if you actually look at Nick Marshall's choice as it effects the long term, he probably would have been better off sticking as a DB.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

There are always exceptions to the rule, but if you actually look at Nick Marshall's choice as it effects the long term, he probably would have been better off sticking as a DB.

You're right that he's the exception to the rule, but I don't know that he would have been better off sticking to defensive back. He obviously didn't think his prospects were very good at UGA, and I'm not sure he wouldn't have disappeared on the depth chart had he stayed there. As it is, he did enough at QB to prove to an NFL team that he was enough of an athlete to play in the League, even if it was a move back to DB.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

You're right that he's the exception to the rule, but I don't know that he would have been better off sticking to defensive back. He obviously didn't think his prospects were very good at UGA, and I'm not sure he wouldn't have disappeared on the depth chart had he stayed there. As it is, he did enough at QB to prove to an NFL team that he was enough of an athlete to play in the League, even if it was a move back to DB.

Well, I'm sure the NFL DB coaches wished he had gotten more reps at DB

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Likely wouldn't help. Pretty sure he wants to go to a team still solely recruiting him at RB. There are still many team recruiting him, not sure which ones at RB but it only takes 1.

Correcto.    That is what he said on a podcast I heard this week.  

Edited by Beaker

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well, I'm sure the NFL DB coaches wished he had gotten more reps at DB

But if he had, would he have stood out enough to make the cut in the first place?

46 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well if he didn't get in trouble at UGA he would have been stuck at CB and barring injury would have done very well.

55 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Ben Tate said he wishes he'd played safety. RBs don't have very long careers.

That said, a DB will never be a #1 fantasy draft pick. Only the elite of the elite ever get any glory, and even fewer will ever get a major endorsement deal. Not without Troy Polamalu's hair, anyway. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

He likely wouldn't barring injury. He played quite a bit as a freshman & played well.

Just now, ellitor said:

He likely wouldn't barring injury. He played quite a bit as a freshman & played well.

I didn't realize that. Still, I'm glad we had him running the offense in 2013 and 2014.

• Like 1

Just now, Rednilla said:

I'm glad we had him running the offense in 2013 and 2014.

No doubt!

LSU  & Georgia are out of the running for Joiner

The recruitment of Mountain Brook star running back Harold Joiner has taken some turns among his top schools.

LSU is no longer the leader or even in the mix, Joiner told AL.com Tuesday, after the Tigers got three commitments within the past week from running backs. The list includes Madison County's Tae Provens.

Georgia is out of the running as well. The Bulldogs picked up a commitment from nation's top running back Zamir White on Tuesday. Joiner recently visited there. Both schools are out, Joiner said, after appearing to fill up at running back.

Colleges interested to see where Harold Joiner fits best

Colleges interested to see where Harold Joiner fits best

Mountain Brook four-star athlete Harold Joiner plans on camping at Alabama next Monday to see where he best fits in with the Crimson Tide.

Joiner took a trip to Alabama last week and said the Crimson Tide coaches are now recruiting him at running back and receiver. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Joiner is a four-star recruit, ranked as the nation's No. 5 running back and No. 138 overall recruit.

But most schools are recruiting him as an athlete, citing his versatility. Alabama has mentioned tight end before, but Joiner has no desire to do that, he said. If running back doesn't work out and Joiner gets taller, he said he is open to playing receiver.

Harold Joiner has unbelievable potential, coach says

Harold Joiner has unbelievable potential, coach says

The four-star running back recruit has 20-plus offers

Auburn remains in the mix as the Tigers have been more open with him about playing running back. He spoke with head coach Gus Malzahn earlier this week, per 247Sports.

Alabama and Auburn are also targeting Austin four-star Asa Martin.

USC, Baylor, Texas, Michigan State and TCU are among the latest offers for Joiner, who has around 30.

Joiner was invited to The Opening finals in Beaverton, Ore., as a running back. We should get more on where his recruitment stands, if there are new favorites or not, by the end of the week as AL.com will be at the event.

Joiner rushed for 744 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior and caught nine passes for 180 yards and two scores. 

Link

got a crystal ball for michigan state this afternoon. lol alrighty then. This kid is all over the place.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

got a crystal ball for michigan state this afternoon. lol alrighty then. This kid is all over the place.

He wants to go somewhere where he is RB1 & maybe the only RB in the class.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He wants to go somewhere where he is RB1 & maybe the only RB in the class.

Man, it's hard to read that and not question the kid, but he might as well take his shot I suppose. And, hey, if he lands at Michigan as the only RB in his class, then dumb me for ever doubting him. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Man, it's hard to read that and not question the kid, but he might as well take his shot I suppose. And, hey, if he lands at Michigan as the only RB in his class, then dumb me for ever doubting him. 

Does Michigan St make a difference in your eyes?

• Like 1

In respect to the kid I'm not gonna say he's not a running back any more.  I'm going to keep an eye out and see what he does his senior year.  Never know stranger things have happened then to see a new mentality going into your senior year of high school

Edited by corchjay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

In respect to the kid I'm not gonna say he's not a running back any more.  I'm going to keep an eye out and see what he does his senior year.  Never know stranger things have happened then to see a new mentality going into your senior year of high school

I know a respected coach at Stanhope with Auburn ties that feels he's a great athlete but not a football player FWIW.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

I hear ya, but I think physicality is something you either have or you don't. Frost comes quickly to mind....

• Like 2