2018 4* RB Harold Joiner Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

2 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

If he keeps growing, could see him as an OJ Howard type TE. He's very athletic.

This is what I've been saying all along.  I want him as a TE, though I wouldn't go as far as to give him OJ Howard level capabilities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

If he keeps growing, could see him as an OJ Howard type TE. He's very athletic.

Yeah judging by his highlights....I can see I want him on the team regardless of what position he plays.

Edited by WFE12

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

We didn't even get a hashtag.

exactly he named a top 5 in it or the 5 official visits he will take and we are not in it. But LSU who he said was done with last month is back in it and bama who was thought to be trending is out? LOL THIS KID!!! he is def david marshall 2.0 just without all the committing and decommitting. 

Edited by GwillMac6

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

exactly he named a top 5 in it or the 5 official visits he will take and we are not in it. But LSU who he said was done with last month is back in it and bama who was thought to be trending is out? LOL THIS KID!!! he is def david marshall 2.0 just without all the committing and decommitting. 

Welp...GG to this thread.

• 3 months later...

Just saw where Joiner was supposed to take an official visit to LSU this weekend but instead he’ll be in Auburn.

Edited by ellitor
Added tweet from credible source

5 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

So could this be a thing? Is he a take for us at RB, LB or ATH?

Never heard of him mentioned as a potential LB & doubt he would like it. Last report I read he wants to be on offense.No word on him being a take either. AU reporters have only said he is visiting this weekend. If he were to be a take I only see it as an athletic TE/Slot WR.

It may mean nothing but this news of him visiting AU comes off the heels of Bama offering Tide legacy TE Michael Parker. MP was thought to be AU's top TE target & AU was thought to be in good shape as long as Bama didn't offer.

Still want him at Tight End... just saying. I have a feeling that Chip will finally give everyone what they want if we ever get someone in that position he can trust.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Is he a forgone thought to this class.  I still, even with a numbers crunch, would take this kid.  At worst he is a better TE than anyone we are going to sign.  The worst thing that could happen is that he signs and does not work out at RB.  He is to me by far the best athlete on the board that can help us at numerous positions.  Instead we are going to sign another kid at TE that will spend 4 years as a non contributor to this team.  I'm giving this guy every opportunity to play RB if thats what he wants.  He will know if he needs to change positions to see the field.  What if he tears it up at RB and is a beast.  He has dominated against elite competition at camps.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Is he a forgone thought to this class. 

Not sure what this means but he's not a target right now.

At worst he is a better TE than anyone we are going to sign. 

I wouldn't be so sure of that. We have made things very interesting w/ Luke Ford. Also to be a good TE you have to be physical to some degree and even though HJ is a specimen he does not play a physical game.

What if he tears it up at RB and is a beast. 

Unlikely because RBs don't change their running styles often. The reality is he is a big finesse back. That's not something we need from a RB his size & why a guy like Kavisiey Smoke is higher on the board if the staff does take a 3rd RB in this class.

He has dominated against elite competition at camps.

Means absolutely nothing. You can't get a sense of a RBs physicality & true game ability at camps because of the way they are structured. Every scout & coach will tell you that making a call on a RB based on camp performances is extremely laughable.

Instead we are going to sign another kid at TE that will spend 4 years as a non contributor to this team.

Have you even looked at Luke Ford & Nate Watson or do you just want HJ so bad you don't care who else is on the board?

Edited by ellitor

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure what this means but he's not a target right now.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. We have made things very interesting w/ Luke Ford. Also to be a good TE you have to be physical to some degree and even though HJ is a specimen he does not play a physical game.

Unlikely because RBs don't change their running styles often. The reality is he is a big finesse back. That's not something we need from a RB his size & why a guy like Kavisiey Smoke is higher on the board if the staff does take a 3rd RB in this class.

Means absolutely nothing. You can't get a sense of a RBs physicality & true game ability at camps because of the way they are structured. Every scout & coach will tell you that making a call on a RB based on camp performances is extremely laughable.

Have you even looked at Luke Ford & Nate Watson or do you just want HJ so bad you don't care who else is on the board?

I am not comparing him to Luke.  Yes Luke is a no brainer.  I just see him going to UGA.  Maybe the kid will flop at the next level due to physicality but it appears Bama may be pushing hard now.  I just don't want to put all our eggs in the Luke basket at TE.  Nate is a legacy and was not a take for Auburn before but appears to be a back up plan now. Honest question; would you rather have Kavisiey Smoke in this class or Harold Joiner?

32 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

would you rather have Kavisiey Smoke in this class or Harold Joiner?

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Neither. At this point. I’d rather have Watson than either guy. 

This but if I had to choose between the other 2 then Smoke.

never seen a halfway decent RB come out of mountain brook high school since major olgilvie back in the 70's and he went to the turds..drafted by san fran and never panned out...would not waiste time or my breathe on this kid either..

• 2 weeks later...

If he is the highest rated back in Alabama why is it Auburn nor Bama and now not even LSU are making him a priority. Looks like Ole Miss is now his favorite. There has to be a good reason why. Do any of you know what the story? Is he very overrated? 

I love this guys athleticism.  That doesn't mean his style of play is a fit for whole season.  Just like every pretty girl isn't the kind you want to be married to, long term.   

You have to be physical and willing to break tackles in the SEC.  If not, there are conferences that you are a better 'fit'.   Now I still love his athleticism, but a scholly is extremely valuable.  We don't need a back not capable of willing to breaking tackles in the SEC.

13 hours ago, rollingtoomers said:

If he is the highest rated back in Alabama why is it Auburn nor Bama and now not even LSU are making him a priority. Looks like Ole Miss is now his favorite. There has to be a good reason why. Do any of you know what the story? Is he very overrated? 

He may be the highest rated uncommitted back in the state. AU signee Asa Martin is the state's top back.

This is, numbers-wise at least, a very down year for college prospects in this state.

• Like 1

Four star athletes are rarely mediocre. I've been scolded on this board by recruiting junkies that stars frequently just indicate a guy's NFL potential (at age 18 :bow:). Is that how we should view Harold's 4 star categorization or is it more that in THIS class he's 4 stars compared to other "athletes" in THIS class?

7 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

is it more that in THIS class he's 4 stars compared to other "athletes" in THIS class?

Right or wrong the recruiting sites don't do it that way. They base their evals on what they believe is raw potential regardless of what recruit's peers are doing. That's why positional ratings fluctuate yearly.

We had Sal Canella who was supposed to be a nightmare mismatch in the red zone. I'm hoping we can get someone who can come in and prove he can do more than block and make the tight end position one opposing DC's wiLloyd have to defend.

Edited by milehighfan