Carlton Davis not playing in Bowl

norcuron

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's sick to the point of not being able to play and having to go home, I wish him a fast and full recovery.

If he's bowed out on his teammates and school, than I've lost a lot of respect for him.  I get the "business devision" aspect of it, I just think it's BS and here's why:

1) Has anyone actually seen stastical data showing how many high round draft picks suffered significant harm from playing in a bowl game?  If the chances are that high, maybe we all need to start watching the "other` football. 

2) This "me first" attitude will only permeate other areas of the sport.  I won't be surprised if it manifests itself in regular season games once a team is eliminated from playoffs or ance a game is out of reach.

3) I have to think the NFL will see this as a character flaw as well.  The same "business decisions" mentioned above will follow them into the league.

FWIW, there is a widespread flu outbreak nationwide. I'm just getting over it and it's a beast. And I stayed away from family friends while I had it. It's just slightly possible he's really sick. 

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

FWIW, there is a widespread flu outbreak nationwide. I'm just getting over it and it's a beast. And I stayed away from family friends while I had it. It's just slightly possible he's really sick. 

I seriously think he’s actually sick, but is also playing it safe. 

mod note:   Let's leave the speculation alone and stop hallucinating things here.   Article says he went home because he was sick.  Leave it at that.  We don't need everybody pulling stuff out of your asses and passing it off as fact.

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

We don't need everybody pulling stuff out of your asses and passing it off as fact.

Refs do that enough for all of us...

:poke:

My daughter is a nurse in Auburn and has been down with some flu-like illness for almost two weeks now. It's very likely that Davis is sick, I'm just hoping there aren't more of them coming down with it. He practiced Tuesday, he wouldn't have done that if this was part of a plan to sit out.

Those saying it's something other than sickness, before calling both Davis and Coach Malzahn liars, please post your source. Otherwise you sound just like those people that "just knew" Cam Newton got $180,000 to play for Auburn.

Remind me, did Muschamp pull him to AU? 

If he’s the same player from a few years ago, who as a freshman I would yell at to turn around during the game, I am super proud of the player growth. 

I do hope he’s not spending his birthday ill.

14 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Remind me, did Muschamp pull him to AU? 

If he’s the same player from a few years ago, who as a freshman I would yell at to turn around during the game, I am super proud of the player growth. 

I do hope he’s not spending his birthday ill.

Yes, he committed and signed to us on NSD!

What amazes me is that the guys says he is sick and yet some people on here seem to think he is not sick and just missing the game for "business" reasons.   

Why would people not believe him?      And if he is sick, which I believe by the way, why would he chose to hang around a hotel in Atlanta while the players are practicing or doing bowl related events and playing the game.        Man.....if I'm sick, flu or whatever, home is where I would want to be......

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

mod note:   Let's leave the speculation alone and stop hallucinating things here.   Article says he went home because he was sick.  Leave it at that.  We don't need everybody pulling stuff out of your asses and passing it off as fact.

It has been speculated for weeks that he wouldn't play and now it's simply being confirmed, we're all mostly grown-ups here.  It's really not that big of a deal to anybody but Davis and it's a HUGE freaking deal to him.  Gus sending him home is the PROFESSIONAL thing to do.  Be one of the last four and this doesn't happen...if not, well, have you looked at the stands for every one of these bowl games?  They don't matter.

52 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What amazes me is that the guys says he is sick and yet some people on here seem to think he is not sick and just missing the game for "business" reasons.   

Why would people not believe him?      And if he is sick, which I believe by the way, why would he chose to hang around a hotel in Atlanta while the players are practicing or doing bowl related events and playing the game.        Man.....if I'm sick, flu or whatever, home is where I would want to be......

Because we've been misled and flat out lied to about player disappearance...injury...rules violations and status with the team numerous times. I don't care either way, we have a football game to win with or without him, but don't act like you have no idea why people question the narrative being put out by coaches and media. For crying out loud...why can't people just be honest with themselves about what happens instead of shoving their heads in the sand. Good grief

5 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Because we've been misled and flat out lied to about player disappearance...injury...rules violations and status with the team numerous times. I don't care either way, we have a football game to win with or without him, but don't act like you have no idea why people question the narrative being put out by coaches and media. For crying out loud...why can't people just be honest with themselves about what happens instead of shoving their heads in the sand. Good grief

Sorry but don't by your cynicism.....just noting that what he is quoted as saying....why not take it at that?   

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It has been speculated for weeks that he wouldn't play and now it's simply being confirmed, we're all mostly grown-ups here.  It's really not that big of a deal to anybody but Davis and it's a HUGE freaking deal to him.  Gus sending him home is the PROFESSIONAL thing to do.  Be one of the last four and this doesn't happen...if not, well, have you looked at the stands for every one of these bowl games?  They don't matter.

I don't agree that bowl games don't matter for a number of reasons:

1. They count towards a teams final record for the season

2. They definitely count towards a teams final ranking.

3. The performance of individual players can definitely still effect their draft status.

If you don't think this game matters,  watch the reactions of the fans should we lose.  I get that the stands aren't packed for bowl games, that isn't really a good indicator as it's not a home game for either team.  Not everyone has the ability or finds to travel, in some cases a pretty long way, for a bowl game, especially right after Christmas.   Add in the fact that most of the ticket prices aren't really reasonable to begin with and a significant cold front effecting many of the venues and I get why people are opting to watch on TV.

All the speculation aside in this thread there is one thing we do know about Carlton being out. Whoever takes his place will probably be targeted, at least initially, so he needs to be ready.

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

3. The performance of individual players can definitely still effect their draft status.

If you don't think this game matters,  watch the reactions of the fans should we lose.  I get that the stands aren't packed for bowl games, that isn't really a good indicator as it's not a home game for either team.  Not everyone has the ability or finds to travel, in some cases a pretty long way, for a bowl game, especially right after Christmas.   Add in the fact that most of the ticket prices aren't really reasonable to begin with and a significant cold front effecting many of the venues and I get why people are opting to watch on TV.

You and a few others are speaking from a fan perspective or even Auburn's perspective. This thread is about Carlton Davis. Whether we win or lose, it will not affect his draft status. You don't have to like it. You don't have to agree with it, but at the next level, GMs do not care if a top-tier NFL prospect sits out a bowl game. Until that happens, things will not change. Salute CD for all he has done for AU and cheer on the boys come tomorrow.

As I said in an earlier post, if CD is sick as was posted,  I really do hope he feels better.  If he's bowing out on his team for selfish reasons I really will think less of him for it.  Does that mean I won't be thankful for what he's done or will wish ill upon him - nope.  I'll just think of him as someone who puts himself ahead of his team.  I fully get that there are lots of people that do this or are OK with it, I'm just not one of them.

Make the playoffs and we won't have to worry about these types of things

That way the kids have reason to put themselves in harms way prior to potentially setting themselves up for life. 

Playing in this game does not help Carlton's draft stock, it can only hurt it. Imagine this: your professor says you've got a passing grade in the last elective-required class you need to graduate and don't need to take the final to keep your grade. Would you opt in to take the final at risk of ruining your graduation status? This is the normal student's equivalent. These kids major in football for all intents and purposes and are shooting to get to the NFL. He's staring a 7 figure contract in the face right now if he just keeps his bones, muscles, and ligaments healthy over the next 24 hours and Auburn plays a game with only secondary implications. I can see how weighing the pros and cons would lead him to play it safe. 

4 hours ago, GoAU said:

They don't matter.  Outcome doesn't matter.  Oklahoma kicked the s*** out of us last January, Sean White broke his arm and it wouldn't have mattered if Carl Lawson and Montravious Adams had both sat out, our share of the $101 Million distributed to the SEC teams would not have been affected.  And Davis missing the Peach won't affect the $4.2 Million Auburn will take in for the next Chick-Fil-A game they play in September.  The Senior Bowl, NFL combine and pro days will have far more bearing on draft status than any single game (especially a bowl game).  Nobody but a fan remembers what the record of any team was or where they wound up in the rankings last year.  All that matters is Clemson took home the only trophy that matters.

CD has done a Great job for us. If this is a business decision I personally have zero problems with it. This game isn’t that important in the big scheme of things. Its not the CFP. We should be able to win with our depth anyways. 

If he is sick I hope he gets well soon. Either way War Eagle to Mr. Davis and best of luck to him. 

2 hours ago, GoAU said:

As I said in an earlier post, if CD is sick as was posted,  I really do hope he feels better.  If he's bowing out on his team for selfish reasons I really will think less of him for it.  Does that mean I won't be thankful for what he's done or will wish ill upon him - nope.  I'll just think of him as someone who puts himself ahead of his team.  I fully get that there are lots of people that do this or are OK with it, I'm just not one of them.

That is fair, but only one person has answered this objectively. Do you feel the same way when coaches do it?

Just gives more time for my man crush Jamel Dean to shine!!!! LOCK EM DOWN TOMORROW JD!!!!!! WAR DAMN!!! LETS GO BOYS!!!!

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I seriously think he’s actually sick, but is also playing it safe. 

Yep. And the concussion from the SECCG. Think both Davis and Gus/AU made the decision for Davis to not play. He is declaring for the NFL. Pretty stand up of Gus and the AU team. 

Archived