Carlton Davis not playing in Bowl

norcuron

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just gives more time for my man crush Jamel Dean to shine!!!! LOCK EM DOWN TOMORROW JD!!!!!! WAR DAMN!!! LETS GO BOYS!!!!

Got to learn to turn his head around first. I kidd, I kidd.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is fair, but only one person has answered this objectively. Do you feel the same way when coaches do it?

I do. I wish more coaches would stick around to at least coach the bowl game and then they can leave. They can have their assistants for their new team out recruiting long enough for them to coach the bowl game with their old team.  

Obviously the players act differently when their coaches leaves vs one of their teammates sitting out for a bowl game. If a player has no problem blasting the former coach for not sticking around for the bowl game but then doesn't have a problem with a teammate sitting out the bowl game in order to go to the NFL then I don't think I could get along with that player or have much respect for players that think like that. 

Look at Florida State for example. You haven't heard any of the players speak well of Jimbo and some blasted him for the way he left but you didn't hear or see them publicly get upset that their teammate Derwin James sat out the bowl game. Even the interim HC  for the bowl game, Odell Haggins, didn't name Fisher or thank him in his post game interview when he started thanking former coaches and the coaches that stayed for the bowl game and he even said how much he loved coach Taggart who hasn't even coached a game yet for FSU. 

10 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I do. I wish more coaches would stick around to at least coach the bowl game and then they can leave. They can have their assistants for their new team out recruiting long enough for them to coach the bowl game with their old team.  

Obviously the players act differently when their coaches leaves vs one of their teammates sitting out for a bowl game. If a player has no problem blasting the former coach for not sticking around for the bowl game but then doesn't have a problem with a teammate sitting out the bowl game in order to go to the NFL then I don't think I could get along with that player or have much respect for players that think like that. 

Look at Florida State for example. You haven't heard any of the players speak well of Jimbo and some blasted him for the way he left but you didn't hear or see them publicly get upset that their teammate Derwin James sat out the bowl game. Even the interim HC  for the bowl game, Odell Haggins, didn't name Fisher or thank him in his post game interview when he started thanking former coaches and the coaches that stayed for the bowl game and he even said how much he loved coach Taggart who hasn't even coached a game yet for FSU. 

Same, I think coaches leaving before the bowl game totally give a big middle finger to the kids. Why I love Scott Frost, I’m rooting for him at Nebraska, guy has top notch integrity imo 

8 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The only thing was the players had enough of Jimbo annually doing this. He continuously flirted with other coaching gigs until finally, the administration told him to make a decision. You are only going to take that so much. Another coach who does that is Mike Gundy.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Same, I think coaches leaving before the bowl game totally give a big middle finger to the kids. Why I love Scott Frost, I’m rooting for him at Nebraska, guy has top notch integrity imo 

Ironically, Our coach did this exact same thing to Arkansas State.

Just now, DAG said:

And I think that’s wrong, no matter where u coach.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The only thing was the players had enough of Jimbo annually doing this. He continuously flirted with other coaching gigs until finally, the administration told him to make a decision. You are only going to take that so much. Another coach who does that is Mike Gundy.

Gus just did the same thing to us....:poke:

Just now, Auburnfan91 said:

Yep, I mean any reasonable person knows Gus hasn’t earned 7 mil a year, but he’s flirted enough  to get more $ out of AU

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Yep, I mean any reasonable person knows Gus hasn’t earned 7 mil a year, but he’s flirted enough  to get more $ out of AU

It's business! And Gus understands that better than anybody.

"Integrity" is becoming a punchline at parties I am afraid.   Most people have no idea what personal integrity means these days.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It's business! And Gus understands that better than anybody.

It is business but doesn’t mean you have to agree with it lol.

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

I will believe he is sick. I am not feeling too phat myself. I could be seriously injured in a game now too. 

Eh, I don’t feel that. I played through the flu, games that didn’t mean anything with bronchitis/pneumonia. I would’ve had to been in the hospital or pretty physically injured to just bow out on my teammates that I went through hell with. I understand the “future goal” if that’s the true case but I would’ve never bowed out on my teammates like that. Read quotes by Tre Williams, KJ, D Russell and you will look on these guys completely different. I always have a special place in my heart for warriors, like those listed above, but guys like the latter, will never have a legacy at AU imo, at least to me. Guys like KJ and TW are the types I’ll tell my kids about, the other, not so much

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Eh, I don’t feel that. I played through the flu, games that didn’t mean anything with bronchitis/pneumonia. I would’ve had to been in the hospital or pretty physically injured to just bow out on my teammates that I went through hell with. I understand the “future goal” if that’s the true case but I would’ve never bowed out on my teammates like that. Read quotes by Tre Williams, KJ, D Russell and you will look on these guys completely different. I always have a special place in my heart for warriors, like those listed above, but guys like the latter, will never have a legacy at AU imo, at least to me. Guys like KJ and TW are the types I’ll tell my kids about, the other, not so much

Two things: one, like i meant originally playing less than 100% can get you hurt. Especially if your head, sinuses and equalibrium are effed up. Driving is not even a good idea. you could kill someone.  Two, You realize you probably can't be effective enough to be as good as your backup.( i wonder if KJ was better than #9 in the SECCG ). Does the chance of injury and risk of NFL draft status also play into this, yes probably does. Not a huge game either. If he is felling puny, he is doing the right thing. now i am taking a nap.

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Two things: one, like i meant originally playing less than 100% can get you hurt. Especially if your head, sinuses and equalibrium are effed up. Driving is not even a good idea. you could kill someone.  Two, You realize you probably can't be effective enough to be as good as your backup.( i wonder if KJ was better than #9 in the SECCG ). Does the chance of injury and risk of NFL draft status also play into this, yes probably does. Not a huge game either. If he is felling puny, he is doing the right thing. now i am taking a nap.

My best games were my sick games, lol. Look at TW, he basically says screw it, my shoulders messed up but I’ll wait until after the season to get it looked at and he has a future at the next level. I could care less if a guy is less than 100% and has a sub par game, he’s earned my respect. As a guy that’s played at less than 100% a fair amount of times, those guys hold a special place in my heart. Others may have differing opinions but that’s mine. Just my thoughts, plenty of people disagree with it.

Personally I can’t blame the player for being selfish if he has the opportunity to make millions by staying healthy.  The only problem is how far does this start trickling down.  Now it’s draft players and only bowl games.  Fans seem ok with it if the team isn’t in the championship playoffs.  If we at 8-3 next year and D. Russell has a 2nd round draft grade should he sit out the Iron Bowl because he may get injured?  Where does it stop or when does it start to get frowned upon.  What about high school juniors that commit to a college. Should they sit out their senior years if they are physically ready for college football?

Just a very difficult thing to figure out and I’m sure it will start getting addressed by professional scouts and college coaches.

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

True but a lot of Auburn fans were pushing him out the door until after the Georgia game so I think he may have had at least some interest in seeing what was available based on fan climate. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Nah but foreal though lol

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I'm in complete agreement if you're going through something not contagious but if it is then you have to consider others. Wouldn't do a whole lot of good for a portion of your starters to be sick in a game that everyone knows you need to and should win. Playing hurt is one thing but risking others practicing sick is another. 

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Imagine this: your professor says you've got a passing grade in the last elective-required class you need to graduate and don't need to take the final to keep your grade. Would you opt in to take the final at risk of ruining your graduation status? This is the normal student's equivalent.

This is not the normal student's equivalent, nothing like it. Here's a normal student's equivalent: Everybody in the class is going to have their grades averaged and they'll all either pass or fail. One of the brightest students opts out and screws everybody else in the class. That would be a valid equivalent. Lamar Jackson played for Louisville and Sajon Barkley played for Penn. State, to name just two college players with guts and integrity. I think Davis is as honest as they are.

I believe Davis and Malzahn when they say he's sick. There's enough flu-like stuff going around East Alabama that anybody might be sick. Why some alleged Auburn fans want to believe our players are liars is beyond me. It's shameful.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

My daughter is a nurse in Auburn and has been down with some flu-like illness for almost two weeks now. It's very likely that Davis is sick, I'm just hoping there aren't more of them coming down with it. He practiced Tuesday, he wouldn't have done that if this was part of a plan to sit out.

Those saying it's something other than sickness, before calling both Davis and Coach Malzahn liars, please post your source. Otherwise you sound just like those people that "just knew" Cam Newton got $180,000 to play for Auburn.

Yeah, because Gus is always upfront and honest about everything right? Come on. 

9 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Remind me, did Muschamp pull him to AU? 

If he’s the same player from a few years ago, who as a freshman I would yell at to turn around during the game, I am super proud of the player growth. 

I do hope he’s not spending his birthday ill.

Yes Champ and Trob pulled him in. But I doubt you yelled at him much his freshman year. He was an absolute stud out there year 1. He did suffer from a bit of a sophmore slump. Maybe that's when you yelled at him (through the tv,) or it was someone else. 

8 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Because we've been misled and flat out lied to about player disappearance...injury...rules violations and status with the team numerous times. I don't care either way, we have a football game to win with or without him, but don't act like you have no idea why people question the narrative being put out by coaches and media. For crying out loud...why can't people just be honest with themselves about what happens instead of shoving their heads in the sand. Good grief

Survey says: EXACTLY

2 hours ago, DAG said:

No you don't. Dean has it in him to be very good, but he never turns his head for the ball. But I don't know if that's really on the Dean, or the coaching... because it seems all our CBs play that way... and have all season.

I just don't understand the games. If he is sick, then he is sick. If it's another thing, call it that. This is one of the things I absolutely hate about Gus. He is not forthcoming and definitely couldn't be considered honest. He likes people not knowing what's going on in that noggin of his... so it's constantly games and trying to piece together the breadcrumbs of what he says and does if you want the truth. Lord knows he doesn't ever want to just come out and say it. 

But i do know people have been really sick. All over the state. So he could very well be sick. I just wish our coach could be taken at his word and us not have to constantly question what he says. But... It's not like that's anything new... and we just gave him a big fat raise and extension... "Oh what tangled webs we weave."

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is not the normal student's equivalent, nothing like it. Here's a normal student's equivalent: Everybody in the class is going to have their grades averaged and they'll all either pass or fail. One of the brightest students opts out and screws everybody else in the class. That would be a valid equivalent. Lamar Jackson played for Louisville and Sajon Barkley played for Penn. State, to name just two college players with guts and integrity. I think Davis is as honest as they are.

I believe Davis and Malzahn when they say he's sick. There's enough flu-like stuff going around East Alabama that anybody might be sick. Why some alleged Auburn fans want to believe our players are liars is beyond me. It's shameful.

It's the coach we don't believe. And you should know why... or you haven't been paying attention these last few years.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

That is fair, but only one person has answered this objectively. Do you feel the same way when coaches do it?

I prefer coaches to honor their agreements too.  However there are clearly cases where it is a conflict of interest for a coach to stay.   In the case of the player, he won't be playing for a team we are competing against in the future, the coach might be.  For example, I don't blame Mullen, UF or MSU if any party doesn't want him to stick around for the bowl game.  In the case of UCF, Frost and Nebraska I respect all 3 parties for allowing him to finish out the season.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

If memory serves me right, Gus was originally going to finish out the season / bowl game but Arkansas State changed their mind and wanted him to go.

Quoting @Auburn2Eugene " I just don't understand the games. If he is sick, then he is sick. If it's another thing, call it that. "

What games? Gus and Davis have both said only one thing, that's that he's sick and will miss the game. The only thing different from that is posters here calling them both liars.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Quoting @Auburn2Eugene " I just don't understand the games. If he is sick, then he is sick. If it's another thing, call it that. "

What games? Gus and Davis have both said only one thing, that's that he's sick and will miss the game. The only thing different from that is posters here calling them both liars.

Ok Mikey. No that isn't all it is. There are other things at play. Things that can and are posted on other websites, but since this particular one doesn't allow anything without a link, all there is is the official story... which I'm happy with. Fine. But it's not like there haven't been other things said. It's not like we have a head coach that is known to either flat out lie about things or dance around the truth. 

It's also not like if he has the flu they just found out today he wouldn't be playing. My son just got over this flu going around. We constantly battled a fever, chills, body aches, and upset stomach for about 7 days. When you are that sick, there is 0 chance you play. And it could of been said days ago. But nope, we wait until the night before the game. 

Like i said... I'm fine either way. Next man up. I just wish our coach would be a bit more forthcoming with the truth. Then things like this wouldn't happen. If Gus was always honest, there would be 0 (ZERO) questioning it. There would be no discussion about what type of a decision it was to sit him. But that isn't Gus. He isn't known for being honest. That my friend is why everyone is questioning what the real story is here.

Archived