Official Postgame thread

TAYLORKEETON

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

I hope Chip spends time studying the Oklahoma offense and incorporates many new looks next year and eliminates the Gus tendencies.

Doubtful.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of y’all take a frustratingly lackadaisical attitude toward these games and our program as a whole. People spend hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars every year to attend games and support this program. Luckily I decided against shelling out around $1,000 for tickets and a hotel room for this game but if I had I’d be PISSED. Y’all are acting like this is YMCA termite football and that’s just plain disingenuous and wrong. 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

I hope Chip spends time studying the Oklahoma offense and incorporates many new looks next year and eliminates the Gus tendencies.

I hope we actually do something in the off season and this summer instead of taking 3 or 4 games to figure it out. 

1 minute ago, AuMarine said:

I hope we actually do something in the off season and this summer instead of taking 3 or 4 games to figure it out. 

Amen, brother

3 minutes ago, Tigercj said:

Maybe but get embarrassed on national tv by a team you are supposed to beat doesn't really help with recruiting.

Thank god for the new early Signing period 

majority of the class has already signed 

1 hour ago, auburntiger1987 said:

d line wasnt embarrassed. the secondary, line backers, offensive line,  and coaches sure were though. 

Primarily it was the oline and play calling. Chip never got in a rythm that I could tell and exection on O sucked.

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t see next year being any different with statueham out there

He needs a quarterback coach. Someone with pro experience, not high school. Our offensive strategy of not throwing except when necessary earlier in the year didn't help him either. He was also completely shell shocked after Clemson

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe....SW was in the doghouse most of his career and while I liked him, I'm thinking that he was the last resort as QB.   JS is a young guy but he has to get better ...and learn how to win away from home....too many disastrous mistakes.    Plus....I am in the camp that says a QB who is a real threat to run the ball and can pass reasonably well is better for Chips/ Gus's offense.    

The only reason for that, is Gus struggles to design a decent passing game. If a team loads up to shut down the run, in most situations, it shuts down his offense. He should take a page or 100, out of some other teams' play books and actually figure out how to adapt with reasonable complexity when that happens.  Doing it for a handful of games in a 14 game season isn't cutting it. 

We should be able to line up and blow UCF off the ball. If they load up the box to stop the run, we should be able to make them pay in the passing game.  The style of QB should have little bearing on that.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Like the OU loss last year.  Doesn't affect me one way or the other.  The season ended at the SECCG.

Same

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

The only reason for that, is Gus struggles to design a decent passing game. If a team loads up to shut down the run, in most situations, it shuts down his offense. He should take a page or 100, out of some other teams' play books and actually figure out how to adapt with reasonable complexity when that happens.  Doing it for a handful of games in a 14 game season isn't cutting it. 

We should be able to line up and blow UCF off the ball. If they load up the box to stop the run, we should be able to make them pay in the passing game.  The style of QB should have little bearing on that.

This is the truth 

1 minute ago, chimes said:

Some of y’all take a frustratingly lackadaisical attitude toward these games and our program as a whole. People spend hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars every year to attend games and support this program. Luckily I decided against shelling out around $1,000 for tickets and a hotel room for this game but if I had I’d be PISSED. Y’all are acting like this is YMCA termite football and that’s just plain disingenuous and wrong. 

Great point Chimes.....that is exactly why the game is important...people make sacrifices to see bowl games and deserve to see the best effort from the players and coaches.  

My wife wanted to give me tickets for Christmas but I had a real feeling about how AU was approaching the game and told her not to do it.....give me some new pajamas or something.     Thus as you note, I can sit here and give a ho-hum afterward ....but if we had spent that kind of money and driven to Atlanta I would not be so philosophical about the outcome .....and the quality of play. 

25 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

That will be his talking points all year. Mark it down. 

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Well......not much to say about that game. AU was just flat. 

Yep

16 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Love the BB team and CBP.  But I am REALLY excited about baseball!!

I am REALLY excited about softball!!!! So glad we were able to hire a really good coach and keep this program rolling! College baseball is just honestly boring and hard to watch. Butch Thompson seems to be the best recruiter on campus though out of the major sports.

57 minutes ago, WarEagleFromHoover said:

Oh i definitely know winning is all about the want to , Auburn consistently lacks the want to . Top 10 recruiting class after top 10 recruiting class with nothing to show for it but a Birmingham Bowl trophy 

Right. What will it take to make AUBURN week after week believe and approach as if they are playing the Carolina Panthers, be they disguised as Bama or Beulah? ??

And a question I've not often seen asked, is there any penalty in place, player to position to team, however it applies, following poor performance other than just being "sad" about a business deal gone sour?

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

QB competition needs to be totally open in the spring. Can’t let Stidham Walk in as certain starter. AU needs someone with a winner mentality and leadership behind center. Not just someone who looks the part. 

No. It's impossible to do anything when you are running for your life the entire game. The other QBs on this roster aren't close to what Stidham brings to the table. Not even close.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Like the OU loss last year.  Doesn't affect me one way or the other.  The season ended at the SECCG.

Looks like that's what the players and coaching staff thought.

59 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Gatewood and Willis need to be given a shot to start. Plain and simple. Poor game from Stidham. 

Again, you can't do anything if you are running for your life the entire game.

58 minutes ago, Moriarty88 said:

When I said that we should not get in a bidding war over Gus and pay him 7 million a year before the contract was signed, I got all kind of crap on this board.  I hope that those who called me out can see why I felt that way.

They won't. Those guys only look at things through orange and blue shaders

58 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Gus doesn't need any other QB to be successful. What Auburn needs is Gus to stay the *&^% out of the offense and away from the QB. That, and we need different OL and ST coaches. This is ridiculous. 

EXACTLY

56 minutes ago, DAG said:

NO JS looked horrible. He has played enough games to know better than what he showed today. I don't want to hear any excuses for him. He has faced Clemson, Bama, LSU and UGA. He should be ready for UCF

It gets old saying the same thing over and over. The OL has to block. UCF had 5 sacks in the first half of the game. Inexcusable 

We need to seriously look at making a change at OL coach. Herb and Gus are buddies, so I doubt this will happen, but if Gus wants to be successful at Auburn going forward, a change needs to be made.

On the flip side... as soon as we hire a new AD, the clock starts in Gus. The recent extension won't matter.  No new AD is going to accept what we have been putting on the field. Their job will depend on it. The countdown starts the day we hire a new AD. There is 0 chance we lose 4 or 5 every year and Gus is here for 7 more years. Regardless what his contract says.

In the grand scheme of things, I was upset but it didn’t ruin my day.

Upset about Herb Hand and the OL play but don’t think he’s terrible and we will bounce back next season.

Jarrett will be our starter next season.

The sun will rise tomorrow. 

War Eagle, sorry if I rustled any feathers. 

@aujeff11 and @GwillMac6 don’t hate me you guys.

10 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

don't hold your breath

10 minutes ago, chimes said:

Thank you. People saying that non-playoff bowl games are meaningless are making no damn sense. 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

In the grand scheme of things, I was upset but it didn’t ruin my day.

Upset about Herb Hand and the OL play but don’t think he’s terrible and we will bounce back next season.

Jarrett will be our starter next season.

The sun will rise tomorrow. 

War Eagle, sorry if I rustled any feathers. 

@aujeff11 and @GwillMac6 don’t hate me you guys.

I only hate kirby lol I def do not hate you. I just want herb to be as good as you think he is in reality!!! as a recruiter as a coach the whole package! We seem to have a lot of assistants who are either or besides Twill and a couple of others give or take.

2 minutes ago, WarEagleFromHoover said:

This is the truth 

I am not so sure....looking at the teams in the playoffs, all have the ability to run the ball no matter what and 3 of the 4 have QBs who will burn you with their feet on called plays.      The kid from UCF was so much trouble because he was so quick whereas JS looked like he was running in sand when pressured.  

The UCF guy looked like Mayfield ......as I have watched him drive defenses crazy chasing him. 

Archived