Why is Gus so bad in bowl games?

GwillMac6

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Serious question:

why can our O line play so much better against UGA and bama??  (Than UCF)

Also,, didn't I  hear that we had "the most  experienced O line" in the country  back in August?

Unfortunately experience does not guarantee execution. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 33gles said:

Because he can't Coach. He was known for his schemes, which worked until everyone and their senile aunt figured them out.

My mom knows our plays and she doesn't watch football besides AU games against UGA and Bama. lol. She said "We need to call some different plays. Why do we keep calling the same plays?" I almost died. haha. She sometimes uses basketball terms when she talks about football. 

SIAP but the two games most are thinking of (bowl games and early losses) are a result of poor SELF SCOUTING. Gus has even stated that he isnt sure what they have or what theyll be til 3-4 games in. I get that in some regard, but overall the head coach sets the identity of the team. Other teams self-scout and then add new wrinkles. The ONLY new wrinkle i saw added in-season this year was KJs jump pass. 

2 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

My view from going to game: They wanted it more.. Their crowd was in it and the players were too. Was expecting huge push from both our lines but never happened.

Also dont think KJ was close to 100. Stidham has to quit putting his head down at first sign of pressure. 

This! Our OL was owned by UCF. Our QB has happy feet and doesn’t seem to be able to create a play when things break down. Also, how did their QB continue be able to run at will. This wasn’t just a coaching issue. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

best home field advantage in the country. I said it earlier today but gary danielson nailed us. We are a completely different team outside jordan hare. Way more than most other good teams away from home. we are more dependent on being at home than other teams. Even at neutral sites we are just nowhere close to how good we are at home.

but   USF didn't struggle As much with their D Line as we did.  We had B Smith, plus a former FSU starter &. FCS All- American.  Just seems that we underperform a lot for so many top 10 classes.  

hate that we beat UGA And bama then can't play a bowl game worth a darn

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

but   USF didn't struggle As much with their D Line as we did.  We had B Smith, plus a former FSU starter &. FCS All- American.  Just seems that we underperform a lot for so many top 10 classes.  

hate that we beat UGA And bama then can't play a bowl game worth a darn

O I def agree mr beak!

8 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

play calling, no identity on offense, to predictable, cant develope qbs, cant develope recruits. we just got beat by a 2 star qb.

Best post of the day!  Succinct and accurate.  Yes on all but one.   The receivers made huge strides forward this year.   

39 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Unfortunately experience does not guarantee execution. 

Just heard from our QB...'we made NO adjustments at halftime...we just didn't execute'...PITIFUL

1 minute ago, 1913-14 said:

Just heard from our QB...'we made NO adjustments at halftime...we just didn't execute'...PITIFUL

and why should Gus.  apparently his schemes are brilliant and need no adjusting.   

2 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Well, one thing for sure, we are consistent. 

3 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

and why should Gus.  apparently his schemes are brilliant and need no adjusting.   

Hubris.   Let's not give ourselves an advantage.  Insane 

Because they are played AFTER contract extensions, after the emotions have "settled"?

32 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

play calling, no identity on offense, to predictable, cant develope qbs, cant develope recruits. we just got beat by a 2 star qb.

Give me a 2 Star kid with a winning mentality over the 4 Star with all the “tools” and no grit. 

8 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Leadership is top down, and this is being taught all too well. Again, I ask.  What incentives are in place following lack of execution to drastically cut down on the likelihood of it recurring? Lap running? Bleacher stepping? Lack of playing time? Early curfew? Extra jobs?  Hand to hand combat time with Uncle Rico for that last piece of steak? Seriously!! 

12 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

If you are paying me seven million dollars a year I am going to make an adjustment whether we need it or not. I would think I owed you that much.

4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Cool and we will leave you to he is the bestest, smartest gosh darn coach we will ever have thread......lol

2 turnovers led to 2 touchdown and another one prevented a shot at the game tying score in the final minute. Stidham had a terrible game.

Quite an indictment when a near rookie coach takes a team that was 0-12, 2 years ago and just whips you.   I wish Frost was on our payroll.   

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

2 turnovers led to 2 touchdown and another one prevented a shot at the game tying score in the final minute. Stidham had a terrible game.

.....and this defense gave up a combined 104 points in its last 2 games, coaches had a terrible game plan

Ladies and gentleman...the sooner we accept this is life under Gus...the sooner it will not hurt as bad. 

watching bama game now and shocking news! they installed  several new looks and wrinkles in their offensive game plan. i guess we can only dream. darn the arrogance and ignorance of our head coach gets my blood a boiling ? stidham has definitely not made the improvements  he should which is so typical. I remember gus would never even let qb's work out w/ a private coach till this season cause he was scared they'd mess up his work! Laughable if it wasn't so darn pathetic! If this criminal spent half as much time getting this team ready as he and sexton did executing his extortion game plan against us we'd have won by 2 scores. 

The Auburn coaching staff has a lot of soul searching to do over the next couple months.  They are getting paid at an elite level,  and frankly not performing.  Gus' hot seat is not going to get cooler by his entire staff getting completely out coached in the last two games, and potentially having Georgia and Alabama in the natty. 

Coaching is not just the x and O.  It is preparation , motivation, recruiting, program management,  Developing QBs, depth at RB and oline.  Out staff is falling short on many levels.  

26 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Give me a 2 Star kid with a winning mentality over the 4 Star with all the “tools” and no grit. 

amen. i am sick of 4 and 5 stars that dont pan out. we seem to get alot of them in every class or they finally play as a senior. 

Archived