Quit Complaining

ToomersStreet

Seriously.  Yeah, Gus laid yet another egg.   That is what Gus does.  About three months ago there  were  rumors about Jay  Jacobs finally being canned and what that would mean for Gus.  Most if not all of us agreed  that canning Jacobs and tolerating Gus for the foreseeable future would be best for the football program.   Jacobs is gone. We no longer have to  deal with him blowing smoke and pumping sunshine about another one of his bad hires.  Based on rumors about who  could be Gus's next boss, I for one an optimistic.  Gus will have a good AD to finally have to answer too. Maybe, MAYBE, that might actually help Gus improve and grow  as a  coach instead of having to  deal  with that mouth breather Jacobs. 

Now,yes Gus just got a 7 years $49 million dollar contract that he 1.  has not earned and 2. Does not deserve, but what was the alternative?  This was not the year we wned to have to  go  out and find a new coach.  It seemed like half of college football  was hiring someone.  A&M,  UT, Florida, Miss State, Arkansas, Nebraska, UCF, UCLA, Oregon. Look how bad things ere for  Tennessee.  What  would have happened if we let Gus go  to  Arkansas?  We would probably have Bobby Petrino or Les Miles right now and I  do not see either one of them as better candidates.  Gus and  his agent both knew this was not a year Auburn would want to  have to go  out and look for a new HC.  Not with a change AD and all the vacancies available.  They new it  and  took advantage of  the situation.

Worst case scenario going forward is Gus is a  place holder  for the next  4-5 years.   We are not  having off field embarrassments like we did  with Chizik. We finally play defense.  We win more than we lose.   And Gus has proven that once every few years he is  good for  the upset victory.   It is what it  is.  It could be a lot worse.  Jacobs is gone.  Which means the future is bright.  Gus is making a TON of money.   Which means Jimmy Rane is going to expect Gus to deliver.  More money comes more expectation from the boosters.   Let's calm down, sit back and watch the next 12 months.  I am very curious.   I really don't think we will see more of  the same.  Staff changes?  Does Stidham stay? KJ?  Who  is our new AD?  What does  the final recruiting class look  like? Willis vs Gatewood!  Just saying let see..........

36 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Worst case scenario going forward is Gus is a  place holder  for the next  4-5 years.   We are not  having off field embarrassments like we did  with Chizik. We finally play defense.  We win more than we lose.   And Gus has proven that once every few years he is  good for  the upset victory.   It is what it  is.  It could be a lot worse.  Jacobs is gone.  Which means the future is bright.  Gus is making a TON of money.   Which means Jimmy Rane is going to expect Gus to deliver.  More money comes more expectation from the boosters.   Let's calm down, sit back and watch the next 12 months.  I am very curious.   I really don't think we will see more of  the same.  Staff changes?  Does Stidham stay? KJ?  Who  is our new AD?  What does  the final recruiting class look  like? Willis vs Gatewood!  Just saying let see..........

We lose games we could and should have won and have a knack for losing on the biggest stages.

Pulling off upsets every few years is not acceptable when you're getting paid like the elite CFB coaches.

Gus making a ton of money has no impact on me as a fan whatsoever, so I'm not sure how that equates to the future being bright. Because it leads me back to my previous points: He's making too much money to be 1-3 in bowl games, with the one win being in the Birmingham Bowl against Memphis.

I would hope there are staff changes, starting with the special teams and WR coaches. While they're both great people, their groups haven't performed as well as the other units. Also, our WR coach is far too inexperienced.

Why is whether or not Stidham staying even a question? He's nowhere near ready for the NFL. Just look at him in the SECCG and Peach Bowl.

If KJ is smart, he leaves. He's also injury prone, so he should not risk another injury that could negatively impact his stock next year.

So no. I will not quit complaining.

37 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

We lose games we could and should have won and have a knack for losing on the biggest stages.

Pulling off upsets every few years is not acceptable when you're getting paid like the elite CFB coaches.

Gus making a ton of money has no impact on me as a fan whatsoever, so I'm not sure how that equates to the future being bright. Because it leads me back to my previous points: He's making too much money to be 1-3 in bowl games, with the one win being in the Birmingham Bowl against Memphis.

I would hope there are staff changes, starting with the special teams and WR coaches. While they're both great people, their groups haven't performed as well as the other units. Also, our WR coach is far too inexperienced.

Why is whether or not Stidham staying even a question? He's nowhere near ready for the NFL. Just look at him in the SECCG and Peach Bowl.

If KJ is smart, he leaves. He's also injury prone, so he should not risk another injury that could negatively impact his stock next year.

So no. I will not quit complaining.

Gus is 1-4!  Get your facts striaght.  Of course Stidham is nowhere near ready for the NFL yet he is having to decide whether to stay or enter the draft.  If I am KJ I enter the draft.

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Seriously.  Yeah, Gus laid yet another egg.   That is what Gus does.  About three months ago there  were  rumors about Jay  Jacobs finally being canned and what that would mean for Gus.  Most if not all of us agreed  that canning Jacobs and tolerating Gus for the foreseeable future would be best for the football program.   Jacobs is gone. We no longer have to  deal with him blowing smoke and pumping sunshine about another one of his bad hires.  Based on rumors about who  could be Gus's next boss, I for one an optimistic.  Gus will have a good AD to finally have to answer too. Maybe, MAYBE, that might actually help Gus improve and grow  as a  coach instead of having to  deal  with that mouth breather Jacobs. 

Now,yes Gus just got a 7 years $49 million dollar contract that he 1.  has not earned and 2. Does not deserve, but what was the alternative?  This was not the year we wned to have to  go  out and find a new coach.  It seemed like half of college football  was hiring someone.  A&M,  UT, Florida, Miss State, Arkansas, Nebraska, UCF, UCLA, Oregon. Look how bad things ere for  Tennessee.  What  would have happened if we let Gus go  to  Arkansas?  We would probably have Bobby Petrino or Les Miles right now and I  do not see either one of them as better candidates.  Gus and  his agent both knew this was not a year Auburn would want to  have to go  out and look for a new HC.  Not with a change AD and all the vacancies available.  They new it  and  took advantage of  the situation.

New AD to answer to?  I'm sure Gus fears a good scolding.  Gus has a guaranteed $49 million.  He can laugh in the new AD's face.  Even though, somehow, ADs interfering in coaching decisions is now a good thing...?

Gus should have been told to wait for a new AD to renegotiate his contract.  Crawling before Gus with a bag full of money was the weakest and most pathetic thing AU could have done. It makes me wonder how many AU PTB members offered Gus their wives if he'd stay...

"Place holder":  Makes everybody's Top 5 list of things they look for in a head football coach.

You may have a point about on-field embarrassments are better than off-field embarrassments.   Strangely, I'm not consoled...

When Gus doesn't "deliver", what's all-powerful Jimmy Raine gonna do?  Use bad language?  

Expecting something different from Gus is a mental disorder in our fanbase. I indulge myself a sardonic laugh every time someone claims, "Gus has really learned his lesson this time."

I'm sort of with you, I think. I'm all for accepting our current fate as it is:  

We're going to suffer at least 4 more years of the same old Gus.  

We'll have at least one completely inexplicable loss each season. 

We'll lose more games to bama than we'll win.  (Caveat is if bama is undefeated when we play. bama can play scrubs and lose and still reach playoffs)

We'll lose more games to uga than we'll win. (Caveat is if uga has won the East.  They can lose and still reach the plaayoffs.)

We'll recruit well.  

We'll run a high school offense that was figured out years ago.

Third downs will be mostly from 5 yards or more. ( It'll seem like all are from 7 yards or more.)

Our QBs will be said to be Heisman caliber only to regress in the clutch.

We'll over-play our best players 'til they break, leaving the inexperienced bench to flail about to get us into field goal range.

We won't reach my personal goal of 5 TE passes per season.

--

More money from boosters affects Gus, how, exactly?   No, seriously.

Sooooooo...., yes.  I do think you've hit it.  We need to lower our expectations and settle for being a non-elite team that wins more than it loses and every once in a while knocks off an elite team.  It's what we've negotiated for and it's what the majority of fans seem to be more-than-willing to accept as the AU norm.

Nomex: On

It could be a lot worse.

Whew....glad I finally have something to be thankful for with this program. I believe you nailed it. By the way.....I believe you forgot to take your medication today.

And? Jimmy might be on the BOT but he isn't making decisions on the football program. 

22 minutes ago, AURealist said:

New AD to answer to?  I'm sure Gus fears a good scolding.  Gus has a guaranteed $49 million.  He can laugh in the new AD's face.  Even though, somehow, ADs interfering in coaching decisions is now a good thing...?

Gus should have been told to wait for a new AD to renegotiate his contract.  Crawling before Gus with a bag full of money was the weakest and most pathetic thing AU could have done. It makes me wonder how many AU PTB members offered Gus their wives if he'd stay...

"Place holder":  Makes everybody's Top 5 list of things they look for in a head football coach.

You may have a point about on-field embarrassments are better than off-field embarrassments.   Strangely, I'm not consoled...

When Gus doesn't "deliver", what's all-powerful Jimmy Raine gonna do?  Use bad language?  

Expecting something different from Gus is a mental disorder in our fanbase. I indulge myself a sardonic laugh every time someone claims, "Gus has really learned his lesson this time."

We'll lose more games to bama than we'll win.  (Caveat is if bama is undefeated when we play. bama can play scrubs and lose and still reach playoffs)

We'll lose more games to uga than we'll win. (Caveat is if uga has won the East.  They can lose and still reach the plaayoffs.)

We'll recruit well.  

Third downs will be mostly from 5 yards or more. ( It'll seem like all are from 7 yards or more.)

We'll over-play our best players 'til they break, leaving the inexperienced bench to flail about to get us into field goal range.

--

Sooooooo...., yes.  I do think you've hit it.  We need to lower our expectations and settle for being a non-elite team that wins more than it loses and every once in a while knocks off an elite team.  It's what we've negotiated for and it's what the majority of fans seem to be more-than-willing to accept as the AU norm.

nailed it the office GIF

26 minutes ago, AURealist said:

We'll recruit well.  

--

Hammer meet nail. Spot on.

You should have just said stopped complaining, because that I agree with completely. I wish there was just a little sanity around here when things don't go our way.

I really don't think we will see more of  the same.

What would make you say this after 5 years of nothing but .more of the same'. I am glad we didn't can Gus but I do not see AU getting into the playoffs under this regime.

34 minutes ago, AURealist said:

We'll recruit well.  

--

Jacobs set us back for years, IMO. What an absolute moron.

39 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Gus is a  place holder  for the next  4-5 years.

We have members who are in their 70's and 80's....are you saying this is it for them? Sorry Realist, this isn't your quote but the OP.

As Scarbinsky said...Malzahn is not Mr. January. And that is what makes a championship team. 

The new AD will be on probation and severely scrutinized after having JJ all these years. He/She will be looking over their shoulder as they sit down with the coach that makes a zillion times more money than them. 

I think the AD CAN communicate what Malzahn NEEDS to do, if he is being stubborn, but not in the first year. It will take them 1 year to get a handle on the job, and really know Malzahn's staff and methods. But after next year, if things stay the same with his offense and inconsistencies..then I expect the new AD to make demands...

But first up...We need a new OL coach and a better special teams coach. Let's start there. 

And oh yeah...the poster that HOPED for 5 passes to the TE? lol. That was a miracle request. Did #85 even play a snap in the Peach Bowl? All i can remember is the trick play down at the goal line Gus called with #86, who I have never seen before, and Gus thought he could trick them? Geez....

2 minutes ago, auskull said:

We have members who are in their 70's and 80's....are you saying this is it for them?

Hey, we could be wrong.  

Maybe Gus has changed or maybe he will finally 'learn his lesson'.  Maybe he'll upgrade his coaching staff and modify his 'pass to open up the run' philosophy. Maybe he'll toss the high school playbook and design plays that don't tip-off tv color-persons as to what's coming next.  Maybe he'll train his QBs.  Maybe he'll let the bench get some play time. Maybe he'll do some research and discover the receiving role of the TE. 

Could be.  You never know.  Tomorrow's a new day.  Hope springs eternal.  Tigers change their stripes all the time.  

There's always basketball.

46 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But first up...We need a new OL coach and a better special teams coach. Let's start there

100% agree.

I firmly believe we have NO identity on offense. 

To struggle against a team that averaged less than 2 sacks a game against Non Power 5 schools, and to give up 6? 

To not be able to run against this team, when THAT is our forte...(90 yards total?...this happens too many times in last 2 years)

To have so many 3 and outs...and at times look dominating..then fall back into a stagnant offense...

To NOT have another blocker to fend off #18, who totally disrupted our offense many times...

We got beat by a 2* QB who couldn’t see over or around his line without rolling out and a team that was 0-12 two years ago.     We had the most experienced/veteran O  line in college as the season began.  We made UCF look more like Clemson than UCF.   Gus had a month to prep and no halftime adjustments?  

Yeah I am embarrassed today. 

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

We got beat by a 2* QB who couldn’t see over or around his line without rolling out and a team that was 0-12 two years ago.     We had the most experienced/veteran O  line in college as the season began.  We made UCF look more like Clemson than UCF.   Gus had a month to prep and no halftime adjustments?  

I wonder if we have a middle infielder on the baseball team that is a baller like that 2* QB?  After he got comfortable, he ripped us a new one.  Gus can’t see a change in momentum during a game to save his life (coaching career).

13 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Well at least there are those who only see things through orange and blue goggles who say we dominated teams in the 2nd half of games, strictly due to half time adjustments. I seriously couldn't believe what I was seeing when that got said... 

But I digress...

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

A month to prep and no adjustments?  #1. Gus does not prep the offense to beat what a defense does or doesn't do.  #2. He knows his offense, when executed properly, can beat any defense.  If in the course of a game, his offense isn't beating a defense, Gus refers to #1 and #2.  He has never made adjustments in game or pregame to take advantage of a defensive weakness or to stop a defensive strength.  Refer to #1 and #2. 

I will actually quit complaining. I think I get it now. I think we have fully paid off our 2013 debts. Both UGA and Bama made it to the championship game in a year where we smacked them both. The monkey is off of our backs in 2018 and beyond now!!

Archived