One burning question.......

musicitytiger

8 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Maybe I did not explain in words what I was thinking very well.  Gus coached lights out and on fire in the first UGA game.  New plays, an actual gameplan to exploit UGA.  He was fighting for his job and he knew it.  You could almost tell he was sticking it to Kirby for all of the negative things Kirby tells recruits about him.  Gus enjoyed it.  In the second game Gus was not fighting for his job by any means and he had absolutely no game plan other than what he did before.  Nothing new, no wrinkles, no answer to anything, no adjustments.  It does not matter if you and I are playing football, playing checkers, or chasing the same woman; If I know what you are doing before you do it then I am going to win every time and vice versa.  It makes the O-Line look bad but the truth of the matter is the Defense knows whats coming before the snap of the football and UCF, Mercer, GA Southern, Clemson, or UGA can make Auburn look like Furman when Gus is so predictable.

Again, I'll point out that Gus isn't calling the plays, so Chip coached lights out and on fire in the first game. Also, you still haven't answered how someone so predictable bested the mighty Saban.

Side note... I do totally agree that he was sticking it to Kirby. He seemed a lot more lighthearted going into those games. Makes me wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes, with the team, that concerned him post Iron Bowl, since he lost the "fun" attitude going forward.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

How can we....fans on a message board, see what needs fixing but our coaches don't??

The difference between seeing it and fixing it is why they get paid and we don’t. The quality of play of the OL seems to be the root of the cause. I am curious as to what happens with Hand.

17 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

How can we....fans on a message board, see what needs fixing but our coaches don't??

Because we only think we know what needs fixing. They have A LOT more information than we do. We're just a bunch of armchair coaches speculating based on the parts of a game that we can see from the TV coverage.  They see practice, they know the players, and they analyze film from multiple angles. In some circles, they would call our knowledge delusions of grandeur, but since the coaches aren't going to pop on here and chat with us, it's all we've got, so we might as well run with it ;).

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Gus is a creationist and does not believe in evolution.........his offense is proof......so the answer would be no unless there is some sort of divine intervention.  So I guess there is hope.   :dunno:

So am I with the creatures of the Earth but how the creatures react to circumstances better involve some evolution in the thought process or you're in serious trouble as in play calling just to give a random example. :( 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Because we only think we know what needs fixing. 

Granted, in many instances its obvious to everyone, including the fans what needs fixing. I think your statement would be more aptly stated as "because we only think we know how to fix it." That's where things get much more complicated. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

So am I with the creatures of the Earth but how the creatures react to circumstances better involve some evolution in the thought process your in serious trouble as in play calling just to give a random example. :( 

Monday night: "They should've adjusted"- fans

Tuesday morn: "We didn't adjust anything"- coach

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Again, I'll point out that Gus isn't calling the plays, so Chip coached lights out and on fire in the first game. Also, you still haven't answered how someone so predictable bested the mighty Saban.

Side note... I do totally agree that he was sticking it to Kirby. He seemed a lot more lighthearted going into those games. Makes me wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes, with the team, that concerned him post Iron Bowl, since he lost the "fun" attitude going forward.

Chip Lindsey is calling Gus' plays.  The same predictable plays.  The same offensive identity.  For Gus to even attempt to say that Chip is the OC and he designs the offense is criminal.  Chip is the same as Lashlee or anyone else that works under Gus.  Chips input into this offense is sparse.  Gus was fighting for his job against Bama as well.  Just as we saw with an injured KJ, Bama was not a healthy team when we played them.  

2 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

Like everyone else, I was frustrated with the last two games.  However, I may be able to look at it a little more objectively because once I recognized something..........I turned both games off.  (Secc in the 3rd quarter and bowl game at halftime)

Not only did both opponents know when we were running the ball, but in many cases they knew what gap to hit.  In the Secc game, there were examples of 3 uga defenders hitting the hole before the play developed.

On the surface, it’s easy to blame the  Oline, but if you’ve ever tried to block someone that knows where you’re going.......it’s a whole different task.

To me.........there’s only one offseason question.  Is Auburn prepared to invest into a more effective strategy of studying our own schemes and tendencies?  It cost us a National championship this year.........will we adapt?

Good points. I even mentioned to friends while watching the game that they were stealing our plays. How is another question?

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I have a question. Excuse my ignorance if it is dumb. Is it possible for teams to figure out those ridiculous play boards we use? I would love to see us run a play without looking like a team of meerkats (yes I think some successful teams do it as well).  Or is this more about how we line up as others have said. I’ll say again that Georgia figured out what okie was doing and addressed it second half (and us second game). 

Doesn't seem dumb to me and the obvious answer would seem to be yes. 

18 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:
2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I have a question. Excuse my ignorance if it is dumb. Is it possible for teams to figure out those ridiculous play boards we use? I would love to see us run a play without looking like a team of meerkats (yes I think some successful teams do it as well).  Or is this more about how we line up as others have said. I’ll say again that Georgia figured out what okie was doing and addressed it second half (and us second game). 

Doesn't seem dumb to me and the obvious answer would seem to be yes. 

Actually, they shouldn't be able to. The way those boards work is that you change the meaning every game. They are also only supposed to be a piece of the play call, so you have to know the other pieces as well.  Their purpose is to speed up play calling when going fast.

So weird that at one breathe fans want to completely marginalize Nick Saban as a coach , but now the talking point is “well, look he beat Nick Saban.” Nick Saban can be beat. Hugh Freeze and ole miss beat him two years in a row. So yes we beat Nick Saban. We also lost to LSU and coach O. We also lost to a non power 5 school in UCF, who coaching staff are literally one foot out the door . Too much helter skelter.

I can't remember if it was our game or Ga-Oak, but the announcers mention that if the RB was even with the QB, then it would be a pass.  If the RB was a yard or 2 deeper than the QB, then the play would be a run.  I remember watching this key and it was true on over 75% of the plays  that I saw.  If the announcers could see this, then a DC would see it also.  Again, I can't remember which game is was, but I only watched those 2 yesterday.

1 minute ago, SMITTY4AU said:

I can't remember if it was our game or Ga-Oak, but the announcers mention that if the RB was even with the QB, then it would be a pass.  If the RB was a yard or 2 deeper than the QB, then the play would be a run.  I remember watching this key and it was true on over 75% of the plays  that I saw.  If the announcers could see this, then a DC would see it also.  Again, I can't remember which game is was, but I only watched those 2 yesterday.

It was yesterday’s game with UCF

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

So am I with the creatures of the Earth but how the creatures react to circumstances better involve some evolution in the thought process your in serious trouble as in play calling just to give a random example. :( 

yep it was a joke mostly, lol

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

Chip Lindsey is calling Gus' plays.  The same predictable plays.  The same offensive identity.  For Gus to even attempt to say that Chip is the OC and he designs the offense is criminal.  Chip is the same as Lashlee or anyone else that works under Gus.  Chips input into this offense is sparse.  Gus was fighting for his job against Bama as well.  Just as we saw with an injured KJ, Bama was not a healthy team when we played them.  

Exactly. Why an OC would come to work for Gus right now is beyond me.

22 minutes ago, SMITTY4AU said:

It was our game and it has been our game all year. It wasn't 75% either, it was all but 2 maybe 3 plays. My 15 year old who has minimal knowledge about football can call if it is a run or pass.  How we beat Bama and UGA, I have no idea.

Maybe I did not explain in words what I was thinking very well.  Gus coached lights out and on fire in the first UGA game.  New plays, an actual gameplan to exploit UGA.  He was fighting for his job and he knew it.  You could almost tell he was sticking it to Kirby for all of the negative things Kirby tells recruits about him.  Gus enjoyed it.  In the second game Gus was not fighting for his job by any means and he had absolutely no game plan other than what he did before.  Nothing new, no wrinkles, no answer to anything, no adjustments.  It does not matter if you and I are playing football, playing checkers, or chasing the same woman; If I know what you are doing before you do it then I am going to win every time and vice versa.  It makes the O-Line look bad but the truth of the matter is the Defense knows whats coming before the snap of the football and UCF, Mercer, GA Southern, Clemson, or UGA can make Auburn look like Furman when Gus is so predictable.

Well stated

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

So weird that at one breathe fans want to completely marginalize Nick Saban as a coach , but now the talking point is “well, look he beat Nick Saban.” Nick Saban can be beat. Hugh Freeze and ole miss beat him two years in a row. So yes we beat Nick Saban. We also lost to LSU and coach O. We also lost to a non power 5 school in UCF, who coaching staff are literally one foot out the door . Too much helter skelter.

No one is marginalizing Saban... we're saying that it's ludicrous to say that our offense is completely predictable because saying so actually does marginalize Saban. The point I've been trying to make to people all day is that you can't claim our coaching staff sucks, our offense is predictable, etc without justifying how that can be true, yet we can beat the number 1 team in the country twice in 3 weeks. 

Wasn't it you who said, brilliantly I might add, that we are a good team but we're just not a championship team, yet? That's the unvarnished truth and there's not much more to it than that. 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

This is the big difference and I don't know how to explain it. Georgia 1 and the Iron Bowl, our line came to play. Stidham had all the time he needed and Kerryon had holes on top of holes. It's even more inexplicable because they were doing it against far better defensive lines than UCF. For the SEC Championship, fatigue seemed to be the biggest culprit. For this game, that doesn't carry. It's almost as if everyone besides Braden and Casey just stopped trying... especially James. 

It’s because I think it was a different line set up in the first game.   They played the same line set up in the second game and this last game 

4 hours ago, autigeremt said:

We will or we will finish 8-5 next season. All we can do is wait and see.

Considering we have never in the history of Auburn football had back to back 10 win seasons, you may be correct. Plus we will be rebuilding the OL (not sure that is a bad thing haha) and play Uga and Uat on the road. Looking forward to it honestly. It will be another challenge. 

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

It’s because I think it was a different line set up in the first game.   They played the same line set up in the second game and this last game 

That's very interesting.  If so, that seems like a know brainer as to what the deal was and begs the question... why?

I’ve run out of likes, loves, thank you’s for the day (why do we have a limit?)

But it I agree with you 100%, it’s like Gus was interviewing and was on a mission to prove he was worth the contract he held to AUs head like a pistol.

7 minutes ago, aubaseball said:
  2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

This is the big difference and I don't know how to explain it. Georgia 1 and the Iron Bowl, our line came to play. Stidham had all the time he needed and Kerryon had holes on top of holes. It's even more inexplicable because they were doing it against far better defensive lines than UCF. For the SEC Championship, fatigue seemed to be the biggest culprit. For this game, that doesn't carry. It's almost as if everyone besides Braden and Casey just stopped trying... especially James. 

This is EXACTLY what happened. The team was riding high, was #2 in the country, and was up 7-0... and then was crushed when we lost the SECCG. The players never recovered. The fans didn't either. The coaches can try everything but let's get real here - nobody cared about the peach bowl when you has so much on the line a few weeks earlier. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That's very interesting.  If so, that seems like a know brainer as to what the deal was and begs the question... why?

Yea I’m not sure why, maybe it was injuries.   But after the first series or two in the first UGA game, golsen moved to right tackle and Prince came in at left tackle.   I also believe that this ended up being the lineup for the bama game as well 

Archived