Men vs. Tennessee

WarTiger

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time for me to see them play this season. Great game and win. They play well together and know what they do well. Free throws  in basketball are like Special teams in football- the concept is simple enough but the execution of it almost always wins or loses the game.  Great job on the boards too. Seems they took a business approach to the game. :-\

Couple thoughts:

- Harper and Mitchell both handled UT's pressure defense about as well as you could ask for for a sophomore and freshman. Lots of props to Davion for handling things really well when Harper went down with his cramp.

- Harper is going to be one amazing point guard for us. His leap from year 1 to year 2 has been phenomenal. He's playing like a PG is supposed to play.

- We didn't shoot the ball well and still won! We DOMINATED the glass!

- We played 8 on 5 tonight and overcame a 14 point deficit to win. On the road. This team has a mental toughness that they didn't have when they were freshman.

- Bryce Brown is becoming a super all-around player.

- Murray is the glue guy we have been missing. I know this game wasn't his best due to foul trouble but it's evident he is one of our leaders. As much as I loved Tyler Harris (he was one of our best players for that year), I think Murray is a better version of TH. Desean plays like he's as tall as Harris.

- Big shout out to Horace Spencer stepping up big time when everyone else was in foul trouble

- So glad Chuma hit those daggers to shut those UT fans up that kept trying to get him rattled. LOVE seeing that from the freshman

- Heron was solid as a rock as usual and Anfernee did Anfernee things. 

- Dude, I love how we are trending all while being shorthanded! I feel like I can praise Bruce in every post but I'm going to leave this post to credit our players and their growth.

just rewatched the game, and i am more impressed this morning than i was last night...except for 2-3 mental boo-boos, some missed easy shots( layups/putbacks) and some serious referee asshatery, this was a game to behold and enjoy....beating an SEC team on the road, any SEC team, is fantastic.....i get upset at some of their dumbassery,( technical fouls, not running time off of the clock with a big lead,etc) but i enjoy watching these guys play, because they leave it all on the court

I'm looking forward to watching the replay tonight! Hate i missed seeing it last night. But what a great win and way to start off the SEC portion of our season. Way to go tigers!!

Something else from this game that gives me hope for an NCAA bid, AU lives by the three, but they didn't die from it. They didn't shoot well but it didn't take them out of the game.

I’m watching the game again. Usually when I take off my orange and blue glasses (which happens when I watch an AU win again), I am more objective about the officiating. This watch hasn’t changed my perception of the job Teddy and co did one bit. I said one time in the thread that they missed an over the back and UT knocking the ball out but gave UT the ball. I was wrong about the over the back (there wasn’t enough contact) but every other complaint has held up. I even missed some like Jared Harper driving the lane and big number 5 for UT jumping (yes his hands are straight up) 3 feet to try and block Harper and almost kills him. No call. They were very, very bad, but Teddy is a favored ref so he won’t face anything for that performance. I will say that he is very good and controlling the game and talking to players and coaches, but the problem is he is the reason things get so emotional with his inconsistency and antics.

The off the ball stuff on McLemore and Spencer in the paint was just poor calls and I’m surprised Bruce wasn’t more vocal, but he has to pick his battles. Him getting a T would have fired up the UT crowd and wouldn’t have helped anything. 

Speaking of which, the UT crowd was not into the game as much as I would expect.

i was skimming down espn.com front page ... there is a video clip of ted valentine turning his back to one of the north carolina players who was trying to talk to him about a missed foul by an fsu player as they were heading into a TV timeout.  it appeared petulant.  it did not appear the unc player was being unreasonable or acting childish.

valentine likes him some him ...

On 1/4/2018 at 5:45 PM, mustache eagle said:

i was skimming down espn.com front page ... there is a video clip of ted valentine turning his back to one of the north carolina players who was trying to talk to him about a missed foul by an fsu player as they were heading into a TV timeout.  it appeared petulant.  it did not appear the unc player was being unreasonable or acting childish.

valentine likes him some him ...

There’s a good reason his sobriquet is TV Teddy. 

Archived