The great debate

corchjay

2 hours ago, bigsixfive said:

Shoes. UCF had no issues. We nor UGA had issues a few weeks ago. 

I gotta go with this as well.  What seems odd to me is it didn't seem like we had any problems in the SECCG, so what / why would they have changed? 

7 hours ago, GoAU said:

I gotta go with this as well.  What seems odd to me is it didn't seem like we had any problems in the SECCG, so what / why would they have changed? 

New Under Armour shoes.  

7 hours ago, GoAU said:

The shoes

Agreed, sorry for not being clear.  What I was trying to say was if they didn't have traction issues for the SECCG, why would you change shoes for the bowl game?

I guess it was for the looks.  I thought they did look sharp, but not at the expense of performance.

If trying new shoes why would you not take the usual ones too so that you could change if there is a problem? I'm a simple, practical man but good grief, it was a short bus ride, surely they could pack the old ones and carry them along. :dunno: They better figure out the shoes before the Washington game or cash in the Under Armour stock and buy them somewhere else. 

We have got to flex our Under Armour muscle and hold them accountable for putting us in garbage like those shoes.  The colors were spot on... great but we need performance.  It seems for shoes the R & D for UA is at a much lower standard then Nike.  

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

Agreed, sorry for not being clear.  What I was trying to say was if they didn't have traction issues for the SECCG, why would you change shoes for the bowl game?

I guess it was for the looks.  I thought they did look sharp, but not at the expense of performance.

Pretty good informative thread if you have Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrockBrames/status/948302827507548160

Also wanted to  be clear.  I'm in no way saying the cleats had anything to do with winning or losing the game.  Just I noticed a lot of slipping especially from Stidham.  However he was running for his life about every play.  

I guess the debate is sort of over. It didn't cost us the game, but clearly a shoe problem. Especially having looked at that guy's Twitter.^

9 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I guess the debate is sort of over. It didn't cost us the game, but clearly a shoe problem. Especially having looked at that guy's Twitter.^

Apparently we wore the cleats all game week and same style all year. It is strange that we didn’t practice inside the stadium at least once though. One of those things that could have been avoided...

I've seen us falling down like this before in recent years, thinking there was a shoe problem but can't remember which season/games. Am I the only one that remembers this?

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Apparently we wore the cleats all game week. It is strange that we didn’t practice inside the stadium at all though. One of those things that could have been avoided...

that's what got me. Why were we not allowed to practice any in the dome? 

I am sure they brought extra shoes, or even different cleats, if they screw on. I have seen the nFL do that.

19 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

that's what got me. Why were we not allowed to practice any in the dome? 

I am sure they brought extra shoes, or even different cleats, if they screw on. I have seen the nFL do that.

The Falcons and Panthers played a game there the day before.  I'm not sure if that played into it.  Did UCF have an opportunity to practice there?

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

The Falcons and Panthers played a game there the day before.  I'm not sure if that played into it.  Did UCF have an opportunity to practice there?

Yes they did.

http://ucfknights.com/news/2017/12/28/football-knightlanta-update-dec-28.aspx

Practice 2 in the Books
The Knights got back to work on Thursday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium for practice number two in #Knightlanta. After nearly two hours of work, the players hit the cold tub once again to recover, before meeting with the media back at the team hotel.

#Knightlanta Update - Dec. 28

On Jan. 1 the UCF football team will play Auburn in the 2018 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl in Mercedes-Benz Stadium.  On Wednesday, the Knights began final game prep with practice in Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

AU had played there just a few weeks earlier and might not have felt the need to practice there again.....and unfortunately, guess you don't realize you have a traction problem until you are going full speed.    I'm taking it we played in something different in the SECCG? 

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

I've seen us falling down like this before in recent years, thinking there was a shoe problem but can't remember which season/games. Am I the only one that remembers this?

Yes. It happened in the NC game in Arizona in 2010. I was there. For some reason there seemed to be moisture, and it made the synthetic turf slippery...And some of our players kept slipping on their cuts...

The turf at Mizzou and Arky is way different then MBS.  We would have been better served to use grass cleats. You need something that digs in deep also the turf on top at MBS is well slick. It is also stated downhill speed and quick adjustments are not good in the cleats we used. No saying we lost but I would consider it a major issue 

I have seen footing issues at MBS all year 

12 minutes ago, eibua12 said:

I have seen footing issues at MBS all year 

I don't know much about there turf there but is it supposed to be safer or anything like that?

Equipment managers job I would imagine

How is it the coaching staff is compelled (forced ?) by Under Armour to wear these cleats on this field without checking to see if they were worth a damn on that turf? Simply mind-boggling....

Stidham slipped at least three times in the first couple of series alone. Yet UCF's QB was running wild on the same turf.....it's not rocket science.

After reading that article I was floored by the final sentence... "Also, shouldn't be breaking out new untested cleats to wear for a huge bowl game"

That's stupidity on a galactic level right there folks

Smh

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Apparently we wore the cleats all game week and same style all year. It is strange that we didn’t practice inside the stadium at least once though. One of those things that could have been avoided...

Bama also practiced every practice in the Superdome and Clemson the top seed in the CFP practiced outdoors and not 1 practice inside.  Weird I know.  

Pellet depth may have changed too. I don’t know how often they add or remove pellets but surely some maintenance was done as often as that field has flipped recently. 

Archived