2018 Regular Season Projection

beaumak

Fun 2018 Regular Season Projection  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many Regular Season Wins Granted team is still to be determined by some personnel

• 6-6 or less = Bye Gus! Gosh we love throwing money around!
    • 7-5 = Good lord hit with another fungus. Really Gus? How shall we treat the next case of ringworm?
    • 8-4 = Rebuilding right?!? But the recruits look good.
    • 9-3 = It is what it is. no more no less.
    • 10-2 = Solid but with what ifs. DO we get scared and extend yet again?
    • 11-1 = Sitting pretty. Let's go ahead and double down from last year, 14 years $98 million
    • 12-0 = "$100 billion dollars". Gus for life!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/2018 at 01:30 AM

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Many thanks- genuinely interesting and illuminating- but I was referring to the etymology of the internet slang, and I think I might have been onto something:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Origin_and_etymology

(With a potential cross-reference to the Picture thread),

as early as the '60s, we characterized ski-boats as "trolling for gators."

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2018 at 7:26 PM, toddc said:

He’s using a deep water drag net, and too many posters are getting caught in it!

^toddc, however, may well have coined a useful neologism.^

Internet trolling, baiting others one at a time, vs

Internet trawling, mass-catching with a dragnet approach.

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

^toddc, however, may well have coined a useful neologism.^

Internet trolling, baiting others one at a time, vs

Internet trawling, mass-catching with a dragnet approach.

I’ll probably regret this but, where are the gif hounds when you need one?

QUARTERBACK
Jarrett Stidham, redshirt-junior (limited to 7-on-7 after offseason shoulder surgery)
Malik Willis, sophomore
Joey Gatewood, freshman

RUNNING BACK
Kam Martin, junior
JaTarvious Whitlow, redshirt freshman
Devan Barrett, sophomore
Malik Miller, redshirt sophomore OR
Asa Martin, freshman

H-BACK
Chandler Cox, senior
Spencer Nigh, junior
John Samuel Shenker, redshirt-freshman OR
Jalen Harris, senior

TIGHT END
Jalen Harris, senior
Sal Cannella, junior
John Samuel Shenker, redshirt-freshman

SPLIT END/X/9
Darius Slayton, redshirt-junior
Shedrick Jackson, freshman

FLANKER/Z/2
Ryan Davis, senior
Eli Stove, junior (out with torn ACL)
Devan Barrett, sophomore

SLOT/3
Will Hastings, senior (out with torn ACL)
Griffin King, redshirt-junior
Noah Igbinoghene, sophomore

BIG SLOT/Y/5
Nate Craig-Myers, junior
Marquis McClain, redshirt-sophomore
Sal Cannella, junior

LEFT TACKLE
Prince Tega Wanogho Jr., redshirt-junior
Bailey Sharp, redshirt-junior
Prince Michael Sammons, redshirt-sophomore

LEFT GUARD
Marquel Harrell, redshirt-junior
Brodarious Hamm, redshirt-freshman (injured knee on A-Day)
Tyler Carr, redshirt-junior

CENTER
Kaleb Kim, redshirt-junior (sprained ankle during second scrimmage) OR
Nick Brahms, redshirt-freshman (out with broken leg)

Tucker Brown, senior

RIGHT GUARD
Mike Horton, redshirt-junior
Tashawn Manning, redshirt-freshman

RIGHT TACKLE
Austin Troxell, redshirt-freshman OR
Calvin Ashley, redshirt-freshman
Prince Michael Sammons, redshirt-sophomore

BUCK
T.D. Moultry, sophomore
Markaviest Bryant, sophomore

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Derrick Brown, junior
Andrew Williams, redshirt-senior
Alec Jackson, redshirt-freshman OR
Nick Coe, redshirt-sophomore
Daquan Newkirk, sophomore (out with torn Achilles)

NOSE TACKLE
Dontavius Russell, redshirt-senior
Tyrone Truesdell, sophomore
Jauntavius Johnson, redshirt-junior

DEFENSIVE END
Marlon Davidson, junior
Nick Coe, redshirt-sophomore
Gary Walker, redshirt-junior

STRONG-SIDE LINEBACKER
Darrell Williams, senior
Richard McBryde, redshirt-junior
Josh Marsh, freshman (out with right knee injury)

MIDDLE LINEBACKER
Deshaun Davis, redshirt-senior
K.J. Britt, sophomore

WEAK-SIDE LINEBACKER
Montavious Atkinson, senior
Darrell Williams, senior OR
Chandler Wooten, sophomore

FIELD CORNER
Javaris Davis, redshirt-junior
Noah Igbinoghene, sophomore
Jayvaughn Myers, redshirt-sophomore OR
Traivon Leonard, sophomore

NICKEL
Jordyn Peters, sophomore (injured ankle on A-Day, believed to be minor)
Jeremiah Dinson, redshirt-junior OR 
Daniel Thomas, junior

FIELD SAFETY
Jeremiah Dinson, redshirt-junior (injured shoulder on A-Day, believed to be minor)
Jamien Sherwood, freshman

BOUNDARY SAFETY
Daniel Thomas, junior
Quindarious Monday, freshman

DIME
Jeremiah Dinson, redshirt-junior OR
Daniel Thomas, junior
Jordyn Peters, sophomore (coping with knee injury suffered before spring break)
Traivon Leonard, sophomore

BOUNDARY CORNER
Jamel Dean, redshirt-junior
Christian Tutt, freshman
John Broussard Jr., junior
Malcolm Askew, redshirt-freshman (limited due to minor injury)

KICKER
Anders Carlson, redshirt-freshman

PUNTER
Aidan Marshall, sophomore
Ian Shannon, redshirt-junior

HOLDER
Griffin King, redshirt-junior
Will Hastings, senior (out with torn ACL)

LONG SNAPPER
Bill Taylor, redshirt-freshman
Clarke Smith, redshirt-sophomore

On the topic of projections...

This is the projected depth chart that al.com put out for this upcoming year. Lots of injuries. Thank god we have a lot of time to heal up!

• Quarterback will be Stidham obviously and he should be good to go by the start of the season.
  • Running Back will likely be a revolving door until we find a "hot hand". I trust we'll have a thousand yard rusher; it's just a matter of who.
  • Wide Receiver the two torn ACLs are concerning for sure; especially since they happened to two of our better guys. Hopefully they get a medical redshirt and I think it opens up some room for our excellent freshman receivers to shine. It's also time for Nate Craig-Myers to either shine or I don't think it'll ever happen here.
  • H-Back & Tight End about what everyone expects. We all hope they'll be used more but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Offensive Line is still my biggest concern going into this year. They will need time to gel together and hopefully play better than the group before them. I'm not in melt down mode over this but I do think it's worthy of being called a position of concern. We did recently get a Graduate Transfer that should help!
  • Buck TD will be an awesome Buck. I'm not putting him above Holland, but he definitely has the physical abilities to produce in a similar fashion. Will be a lot of fun to see how coach Steele uses him.
  • DT & NT I think that this will be one of the best interior groups we have seen in a long time here at Auburn. There isn't an individual that I would compare to a Nick Fairley but the group itself might be as productive.
  • DE Marlon Davidson and Nick Coe are solid edge setters  that should round out a really solid defensive line unit.
  • LB three seniors will be starting at these positions. I don't think they're a dominant group; but with the defensive line in front of them they shouldn't have to be. It would be nice to see these three experienced players shine in their swan song. The guys behind them aren't slouches.
  • CB & S I think this is actually a pretty solid group. There are concerns about depth at this position but I think they'll be more than serviceable. Again, the front seven on the defense should make the secondary's life a little easier. 
  • K I believe in lil' leg
  • I believe in Siposs the Aus
  • Freshman that should contribute this year: "Smoke" Monday (DB), Asa Martin (RB), Jamien Sherwood (DB), Christian Tutt (DB), Matthew Hill (WR), Anthony Schwartz (WR), Seth Williams (WR), and some solid linebackers that should rotate in for quality reps.

• 2 weeks later...

"AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn football has a reputation of being one of the toughest programs in the country to predict. That was reflected in the most recent round of preseason Top 25 rankings, as the Tigers rose with several outlets but took big drops in two others.

With spring football in the books across the country, many national outlets refreshed their Top 25 outlooks heading into the long summer months.

For Auburn, the injuries to receivers Eli Stove and Will Hastings were causes for concern, while others see a higher ceiling for the Tigers offense because of quarterback Jarrett Stidham.

In total, two outlets kept Auburn at its same spot in the top 10, three more gave Gus Malzahn’s team more love, and two dropped the Tigers outside of the top 15 — including one that had them as top-5 material in January..."

Where Auburn football rose, fell in post-spring updates for Top 25 rankings

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-post-spring-top-25-rankings-updates

Auburn football has a reputation of being one of the toughest programs in the country to predict be a fan of while maintaining any semblance of sanity.

Pretty astute observation IYAM. 

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

two dropped the Tigers outside of the top 15 — including one that had them as top-5 material in January

I don't think it's particularly inflammatory to say that some folks outside the Fam think much more highly of Hastings than many within.

(Between Barrett, Shivers and Schwartz, I have to think that we can approximate Stove's skill set.)

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

9-3

#2 in West

Loss vs aTm (in a shocker), @Bama, @UGA

Loss in bowl game

Switch A&M and Washington.

few thought that Gus would win 2 of the biggest wins in his coaching career last season. I think that Gus will surprise the naysayers once again of which I feel good about. Gus is a better coach than some would ever admit. I like our chances in 2018 and will stand by this. Comments are most welcome pro or con. Not wearing rose colored glasses in that my vision is 20/20 in my left eye and 20/15 in the right. It is amazing the clarity of having great vision can bring to the table! Seriously folks....I have super vision for an old 61 year old cuss!

11-1 for me! Jarrett wins Heisman

If we lose to A&M in Jimbo's opening season, we are going to be in trouble for the future. This is the year to beat him there.

13 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

4 from the grouping of Washington (we always open up unprepared), UGA, Bama, LSU, and A&M. 

But we have almost ALWAYS had a new QB as well. We don't this year. In 2014, we beat beat Arkansas and that was with JJ starting if I recall correctly. 

Granted, Washington will tougher, but I at least feel a bit more optimistic with returning most of our D and at the very least, our QB. Still miss my KJ though. Plus our staff is also returning, which is another positive. 

16 hours ago, DAG said:

If we lose to A&M in Jimbo's opening season, we are going to be in trouble for the future. This is the year to beat him there.

Of any help" or relevance?

"1. Texas A&M

texas-a-m-aggies.pngNon-Con: Northwestern State, Clemson, Louisiana-Monroe, UAB

West Home: Arkansas (in Arlington, Texas), Ole Miss, LSU

West Road: Alabama, Mississippi State, Auburn

Crossover: Kentucky, at South Carolina

Jimbo Fisher’s transition to the SEC won’t allow him to escape the wrath of ACC foe Clemson. And Fisher’s Aggies travel to Tuscaloosa to face the defending national champion Crimson Tide just two weeks after the Clemson game. Crossover matchups include a home game against a Kentucky team that has been bowl eligible in each of the last two seasons, followed by a road trip to face SEC East dark horse South Carolina. Texas A&M then stays on the road with difficult matchups at Mississippi State and Auburn before closing out the season at home against LSU. It doesn’t get much more challenging than that."

Ranking the SEC's Toughest College Football Schedules in 2018

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-secs-toughest-college-football-schedules-2018

Of any help" or relevance?

"1. Texas A&M

Hope so! They might either be a little beat up, or they might have a few things figured out by the time they play us. Their two weeks before they come to JHS are Bye > @ MSU. Starkville's pretty far from College Station, too, so that helps, even if MSU is soft and it's right after the bye. 

17 hours ago, DAG said:

Well, we did lose to Orgeron in his opening season and I'm sure everybody here would agree that Jimbo is better than Coach O.

Just now, AUatHeart said:

Well, we did lose to Orgeron in his opening season and I'm sure everybody here would agree that Jimbo is better than Coach O.

The message still applies. The outcome from the LSU game was a monumental collapse that could’ve possibly changed the trajectory of our head coach career. It already put us between a rock and a hard place for the season and was our ultimate undoing. The same goes for next season against the aggies. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hope so! They might either be a little beat up, or they might have a few things figured out by the time they play us. Their two weeks before they come to JHS are Bye > @ MSU. Starkville's pretty far from College Station, too, so that helps, even if MSU is soft and it's right after the bye. 

It being at home and us having a bye week before is really helpful. I want to demolish them. Won't be enough to avenge 2013 but it'll be nice to whip Bimbo's team up and down the field.

9 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

It being at home and us having a bye week before is really helpful. I want to demolish them. Won't be enough to avenge 2013 but it'll be nice to whip Bimbo's team up and down the field.

Truth. I've no love for TAMU, either. One of the shadier programs in the league IMO. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Truth. I've no love for TAMU, either. One of the shadier programs in the league IMO. 

Agree.  I used to have tremendous respect for them (and I still do for the school and fans) but going from Sumlin to Fisher is like going from moss to mildew.

Moss at least is soft and carpet-like.  Mildew is just ewwwww....

I agree with almost every game in 2018. However, I think we will beat Tennessee. But with the other games, I agree.

Archived