2018 Regular Season Projection

beaumak

Fun 2018 Regular Season Projection  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many Regular Season Wins Granted team is still to be determined by some personnel

• 6-6 or less = Bye Gus! Gosh we love throwing money around!
    • 7-5 = Good lord hit with another fungus. Really Gus? How shall we treat the next case of ringworm?
    • 8-4 = Rebuilding right?!? But the recruits look good.
    • 9-3 = It is what it is. no more no less.
    • 10-2 = Solid but with what ifs. DO we get scared and extend yet again?
    • 11-1 = Sitting pretty. Let's go ahead and double down from last year, 14 years $98 million
    • 12-0 = "$100 billion dollars". Gus for life!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/2018 at 01:30 AM

I'm still pissed off with Malzahn and his staff for losing to UCF. UCF was no better then what Memphis was. They were 10-2 going into the 2015 Birmingham bowl and we beat them 31-10. They did nothing in getting the players fired up and ready to play. The coaches nor the players wanted to be in Atlanta for the second straight week. If your the head coach, then it's your job to make damn sure your players are fired up and ready to give 100% in every game and on every play.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vs. Washington @ Atlanta Loss, we have some poor showings in Atlanta lately and I don't think our Offensive Line will be serviceable by this time. Here's to hoping that Stidham doesn't get too dinged up. Our defense should keep the game close and maybe our talent can explode through but it's going to take some creative planning to buy Stidham time while the OL develops. Planning does not seem to be our strong suit under CGM. The coach I would love for us to hire will trounce us, funny I really wanted Frost to come here as well.

vs. Alabama State Win, if we lose this then I think CGM's head may be on a spike by the end of the night. OL will use this time to gel and try different combos, JS will continue to improve timing with receivers, and some backup QB will do just enough to make us debate the future of QB briefly on the forum. The backup is always better after all! Could be the game where we see who our lead RB will really be. Hope they enjoy the paycheck!

vs. LSU Win, it's not at Death Valley so whatever voodoo we have against us there will not be in effect for this game. I still don't think EO is the answer for LSU and they will continue to occupy the #3/#4 spot in the SEC West. Our defense will be too suffocating now that there isn't a Guice or Fournette gashing us for obnoxious gains. Don't think this one should give me too many gray hairs. I can smell the burnt corn dogs now.

vs. Arkansas Win, coaching changes can take a moment and Chad Morris has to essentially completely rebuild the Arkansas program to fit his scheme. It will take a minute until Arkansas should be a legitimate threat again. Although, to be fair, you'll never catch me predicting an Arkansas team to beat us for the remainder of my life. There's certain teams my Orange-and-Blue glasses never allow me to see as "on our level" this is one of them. They're the lil' piggies after all with their dumb pig call at kickoff (fun fact that's also their mating call).

vs. Southern Miss Win, fun fact a kid I played football with went to Southern Miss and played for them for 5 years. He showed up when the program was doing fairly well then they went on their winless streak. Poor guy, but hey he found himself a beautiful wife there with a Doctorate in medicine. Another fun fact, Brett Favre went there and he's one of my favorite QB's of all time. Regardless, we'll show them a real golden eagle as we march down the field and Nova lets out a might screech.

@ Mississippi State Win, refer back to my comment about Arkansas. There are certain teams that I'll never predict we will lose to regardless of the reality of the current football year; Mississippi State is one of those teams that I just feel shouldn't ever be able to beat us. Again, I'm aware of my Kool-Aid drinking when it comes to certain teams. At least we'll beat one team with a Bulldog mascot...crap that's a spoiler on my picks.

vs. Tennessee Win, maybe if it was an away game and we were on a bad losing streak I would pick the Vols; however, I just don't think they're going to turn the corner in their first year with this head coach. I also believe by this point in the year our OL will start to appear serviceable and we should have an offensive identity by this point. If this were earlier in the year I would be more concerned.

@ Ole Miss Win, I will never predict a loss to either of the Mississippi teams. Just won't happen. Don't care. I think they made a terrible mistake keeping their interim coach in place. Usually they assume a full cleaning house should occur so I'm not too sure what their reasoning is here. Seems like they may return to their lesser level of performance that I grew up accustomed to knowing.

v. Texas A&M Win, I'm not convinced that Jimbo is ready for a full year of SEC play and his teams were terribly notorious for dropping silly games in the ACC. I hope that Gus coaches like a man possessed to avenge our NC loss that should have never happened. Don't think that Texas A&M will become a dominant force instantly. Some building will need to take place.

@ Georgia Loss, call me a defeatist if you must but I'm incapable of getting my hopes up against Georgia. Too many times we have allowed an inferior Georgia team to beat us on years where it matters the most. With my current projections we'll be rolling into this game (8-1) with big hopes of proving our week one loss was a different team. Our offense will look terribly inept like it has against the Dawgs in recent years and our defense will struggle (due to being asked to do too much) against an improving Fromm.

@ Alabama Win, we actually don't play too poorly at BDS. Saban has a terrible record against 10 win auburn teams. I didn't think they were THAT good last year and they're losing a lot. Their young QB scares me a lot more than Hurts but we'll see how he develops.

10-2 at the least, losing to uga and bamr. 11-1 at best, losing to either bamr or uga. The overall quality of player Auburn puts on the field will be greater than any other team Auburn plays.

44 minutes ago, Zeek said:

vs. Washington @ Atlanta Loss, we have some poor showings in Atlanta lately and I don't think our Offensive Line will be serviceable by this time. Here's to hoping that Stidham doesn't get too dinged up. Our defense should keep the game close and maybe our talent can explode through but it's going to take some creative planning to buy Stidham time while the OL develops. Planning does not seem to be our strong suit under CGM. The coach I would love for us to hire will trounce us, funny I really wanted Frost to come here as well.

I'll give you this is no gimme, but with Grimes running the line, I fully expect them to be ready, especially against a PAC D. If I'm concerned about anything specific, it would be the secondary.

48 minutes ago, Zeek said:

@ Georgia Loss, call me a defeatist if you must but I'm incapable of getting my hopes up against Georgia. Too many times we have allowed an inferior Georgia team to beat us on years where it matters the most. With my current projections we'll be rolling into this game (8-1) with big hopes of proving our week one loss was a different team. Our offense will look terribly inept like it has against the Dawgs in recent years and our defense will struggle (due to being asked to do too much) against an improving Fromm.

Again, don't disagree that this will be a tough one, due to the face that Georgia is reloading with a crap load of talent, but to site us looking inept against them, when we rolled over them in game 1 last year, is beyond the standard AU fan defeatism. Also, Fromm gets too much credit. If they beat us, it will be with their backs. Stidham is better than Fromm. On top of that, with Grimes building a technically sound Offensive Line, the rest of the offensive players aren't going to have to carry them.

I'm far more nervous about A&M than you are.  They have the talent, in Fisher they have someone who can fix their QB situation, and Fisher is going to be looking to prove he's an SEC level coach which means he will do whatever it takes, if you catch what I'm throwing.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm far more nervous about A&M than you are.  They have the talent, in Fisher they have someone who can fix their QB situation, and Fisher is going to be looking to prove he's an SEC level coach which means he will do whatever it takes, if you catch what I'm throwing.

They will be a good squad in November. We will see how the season plays out, but that's a game that worries me. 

I think we will beat Washington. 

LSU worries me early in the season due to questions at RB and OL. 

Whatever losses we end up with will come from LSU, TAMU, UGA or UAT. 

3 losses with our schedule is acceptable. 

4 would be a huge disappointment. 

2 would be a very good season, IMO. 

1 or 0 losses would be phenomenal.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

They will be a good squad in November. We will see how the season plays out, but that's a game that worries me. 

The only reason LSU doesn't worry me is that I don't think Ensminger can coach his way out of a paper bag. That and they lost Guice.

I agree with your loss assessment, especially considering that most of the conference is in a bit of disarray. 

I think returning a proven QB , very good WR group, lot of talent on OL and a very good Garner/ Steel/ Willis defense and the second Carlson we have a good shot of making it through the SEC game unbeaten. Worse case scenario would be to lose one to uga or uat. But I’ll take 13-0 going into the CFP.

Y'all might laugh and call me crazy, but OM could be dangerous with our young secondary. Longo knows how to attack a secondary.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Y'all might laugh and call me crazy, but OM could be dangerous with our young secondary. Longo knows how to attack a secondary.

Not laughing. Ole Miss still has some talent on that offense. 

Still, their deficiencies will shine through against deeper teams like Auburn. There may be some fireworks, but we ought to be able to play with plenty of help in the secondary. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I'm hoping by the time we get to Ole Miss, quarterbacks, especially freshman QBs who aren't known for their wheels, won't have time to attack our secondary.

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

HAHAHA you're crazy.

(Anyone making assumptions about any P5 team on our schedule, other than "bama is going to be really good", is doing so at their own peril.)

Not sure when the losses will happen (and I see it's a REGULAR season poll) but we lose 3 total in 2018, continuing our trend of decreasing losses - 4 this year & 5 last year. Undefeated in 2021 baby!

3 hours ago, shabby said:

Grimes makes all the difference in the world. 12 and 0 regular season hallelujah we coming to the promised land

I'm concerned no matter who the OL coach is. Replacing that many starters on the OL is always worrisome.

14 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I have no idea how some of you think we’ll blow UW out. I fully expect them to beat us. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did, but I am thinking our superior athletes will outlast them. Of course, they have one of the better coaches in the game with a whole spring and summer to game plan against us, so it’s a wash at this point.

22 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I agree with everything you said expect losing to TAMU. I would be pretty angry if we lose to them TBH. 

16 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I have no idea how some of you think we’ll blow UW out. I fully expect them to beat us. 

Would it help if no one in the entire thread has said we would blow them out? A few people said we would beat them, more have said that we won't, and almost everyone across the board has said it would be a challenge, but no one has said we would blow them out or anything close to that.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I agree with everything you said expect losing to TAMU. I would be pretty angry if we lose to them TBH. 

Oh I will be too. I'm definitely not saying that I think we will lose. There's no reason to think we won't beat them.

However, Sumlin underperformed with a lot of very talented football players. Jimbo is inheriting a team with some questions at key positions on offense, and a lot of talent on the defensive side of the football. My thought in saying what I did is we will be playing them late in the season. If Jimbo is able to get that offense going, they could be a very competitive team in search of a signature win.

23 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Oh I will be too. I'm definitely not saying that I think we will lose. There's no reason to think we won't beat them.

However, Sumlin underperformed with a lot of very talented football players. Jimbo is inheriting a team with some questions at key positions on offense, and a lot of talent on the defensive side of the football. My thought in saying what I did is we will be playing them late in the season. If Jimbo is able to get that offense going, they could be a very competitive team in search of a signature win.

My thinking is, this team needs a complete culture do-over. I am hoping it will take Jimbo a class or two to set that precedent. However, if he is able to beat us in his opening season, against a very talented squad, my fear is he will be another thorn in our side once he actually gets his type of players...

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

My thinking is, this team needs a complete culture do-over. I am hoping it will take Jimbo a class or two to set that precedent. However, if he is able to beat us in his opening season, against a very talented squad, my fear is he will be another thorn in our side once he actually gets his type of players...

Not saying he's gonna do a Gus Malzahn 2013, but it's possible. November is about when I'd expect to see things take hold if they do. That's all I'm saying. But, you're right about the complete culture change. 

26 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Not saying he's gonna do a Gus Malzahn 2013, but it's possible. November is about when I'd expect to see things take hold if they do. That's all I'm saying. But, you're right about the complete culture change. 

If Kellen Mond pulls a Lamar Jackson with Jimbo coaching, this can cause some issues. 

13 hours ago, DAG said:

If Kellen Mond pulls a Lamar Jackson with Jimbo coaching, this can cause some issues. 

No question in my mind that TAMU is going to cause some issues. Like you, I just hope that it takes awhile. 

One of the things that's been so frustrating about the Gus experience- maybe *the* most frustrating thing- has been the losses to bad uga teams. It absolutely matters that we didn't take advantage of those opportunities. Same with LSU this past season. TAMU this coming season could be another example. 

15 hours ago, DAG said:

I hope you are completely right about the first part.  I fear the second part is unavoidable with their resources and his win at all costs style.

19 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Would it help if no one in the entire thread has said we would blow them out? A few people said we would beat them, more have said that we won't, and almost everyone across the board has said it would be a challenge, but no one has said we would blow them out or anything close to that.

I’ve seeen one post here, multiple posts on other AU boards, & Twitter feeds as well. Not specifically this “entire thread,” but there are multiple fans who are calling for a blow out 

Archived