2018 Regular Season Projection

beaumak

Fun 2018 Regular Season Projection  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many Regular Season Wins Granted team is still to be determined by some personnel

• 6-6 or less = Bye Gus! Gosh we love throwing money around!
    • 7-5 = Good lord hit with another fungus. Really Gus? How shall we treat the next case of ringworm?
    • 8-4 = Rebuilding right?!? But the recruits look good.
    • 9-3 = It is what it is. no more no less.
    • 10-2 = Solid but with what ifs. DO we get scared and extend yet again?
    • 11-1 = Sitting pretty. Let's go ahead and double down from last year, 14 years $98 million
    • 12-0 = "$100 billion dollars". Gus for life!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/2018 at 01:30 AM

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We've also had the second most SEC titles, and most wins against Saban-coached Alabama teams of any SEC team.

Gustav has his faults, sure (for which I'll be quick to call him out), but I feel it's important to acknowledge his strengths.

We will never get better if all we do is compare how we do against bama.  If we played them 12 times a year that would be fine.  Ole Miss has played Bama tough as well.  Are we Ole Miss now?  Gus 1st needs to put together successful seasons where we beat who we should beat and lose by losing to the better team.  He has to quit the 4th Qtr overtime wins against JSU and us making GA Southern look like an SEC powerhouse.  Once he does that he needs to put together back to back 10 win seasons.  I don't have it in front of me but I would like to see the records from the teams in the last 5 years who have been in the top ten in recruiting every year.  We make every excuse in the world for why we can't toe the mark.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I see what you're saying, but it seems as if consistent progress is being discounted here.  Again, we've increased our regular season win total by two every year since 2015.  Now, can we sustain 10+ wins a year and be in the hunt every single year?  That's the next big question.

Also, you're complaining about "high-schooling the offense", but that offense dominated for most of last season.  Could he have rotated running backs better to keep us healthier for the title game?  Oh for sure.  But the scheme works the majority of the time.

The other thing people discount is that this program was not in the best shape after Chizik left.  We had a bunch of returning upper classmen on the o-line in 2013 and caught lightning with Nick Marshall, but there was some serious rebuilding that had to be done.  Remember how many players left/got kicked off the team?  Remember how bad the defense was overall?  Those holes take time to fill and the depth takes time to recruit.  I actually agree with Gus when he said we're finally set up to sustain success.  Now it's up to him to make that happen.

I think that you and I are actually mostly simpatico here...we're not far off based on your reply. 

As for my "high-school" comment, @McLoofus said it well a bit ago, it's not the Offense in general.  When he unleashes the beast (whether it's him leaving CCL alone or being that "Amen Corner" Gus we had a brief glimpse of this year) the offense s awesome.  No argument here.  But, again, it's that 2-3 games per year that he curls up in the fetal position and grabs his binkie (HS playbook/gameplan) and then the O gets stuck in the mud while the D is left to go "WTF??".

IF IF IF IF IF IF (x1,000,000) he fixes this (IMHO) by letting go and trusting his Offensive professionals to do their jobs, then we might just see the full potential of this team.

47 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

We will never get better if all we do is compare how we do against bama.  If we played them 12 times a year that would be fine.  Ole Miss has played Bama tough as well.  Are we Ole Miss now?  Gus 1st needs to put together successful seasons where we beat who we should beat and lose by losing to the better team.  He has to quit the 4th Qtr overtime wins against JSU and us making GA Southern look like an SEC powerhouse.  Once he does that he needs to put together back to back 10 win seasons.  I don't have it in front of me but I would like to see the records from the teams in the last 5 years who have been in the top ten in recruiting every year.  We make every excuse in the world for why we can't toe the mark.

2013 through 2017 Top 10 recruiting classes                                             5 Year Recruiting ranking of these teams

Bama every year #1  11,12,14,14,13= 64 wins                                                         #1
UGA 4 times   8,10,10,8,13= 49 wins                                                                       #5
LSU 5 times   10,8,9,8,9=  44 wins                                                                          #3
FSU 4 times  7,10,10,13,14= 54 wins                                                                       #4
OSU 5 times  12,14,12,11,12=  61 wins                                                                      #2
Clemson 1 time  12,14,14,10,11=  61 wins                                                                 #7

AU 5 times  12,8,7,8,10= 45 wins                                                                             #6

We basically tie LSU for the least amount of wins with 5 top ten classes

Other than UGA ,who has 1 less top 10 class than us and 5 more wins, we are getting our doors blown off

Dabo is the dang man.

Auburn and LSU are the only 2 teams who did not win back to back 10 win seasons over that span

Auburn and LSU have done less with more but LSU is worse

With the exception of LSU everyone else has 10 win seasons back to back.  FSU has all but 1 year of back to back and everyone else but UGA has all back to back 10 win seasons.  

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I think that you and I are actually mostly simpatico here...we're not far off based on your reply. 

As for my "high-school" comment, @McLoofus said it well a bit ago, it's not the Offense in general.  When he unleashes the beast (whether it's him leaving CCL alone or being that "Amen Corner" Gus we had a brief glimpse of this year) the offense s awesome.  No argument here.  But, again, it's that 2-3 games per year that he curls up in the fetal position and grabs his binkie (HS playbook/gameplan) and then the O gets stuck in the mud while the D is left to go "WTF??".

IF IF IF IF IF IF (x1,000,000) he fixes this (IMHO) by letting go and trusting his Offensive professionals to do their jobs, then we might just see the full potential of this team.

The SECCG and the Peach Bowl tells me Gustav will not let go.  He has no pressure for 2 years.  

wde

8 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

The SECCG and the Peach Bowl tells me Gustav will not let go.  He has no pressure for 2 years.  

wde

That is my expectation as well.  Like I said, he will not fool me again this year unless I'm pleasantly surprised.  

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Yep.  

Like yall say progress is what we need. We are 1-6 against ranked opponents in season openers and winning against Wash. would help that out tremendously but I have my doubts.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Inaccurate. bama was #1 when they played us, then #5, then won it all. Why? Because they didn't lose games earlier in the season. They were forgiven their loss against us because their overall resume was strong. There's a very strong chance we would have been forgiven a close loss in the SECCG if ours had been, too. At a minimum, we would've stayed ahead of bama in the rankings.

Absolutely. Hopefully Gus will be as good as his roster one day soon and he'll accomplish this. 

I didn't pay much attention to Clemson in Dabo's early years, so I don't really know the nature of his losses. Were they completely inept, mind-numbingly bad losses in important games? If yes, then this analogy is encouraging. Regardless, people do tend to forget that Gus is very young in the profession. I pointed out at some point during the season that saban was transitioning either to or from the NFL at the same time Gus got his first college gig. 

On December 3, the Tigers won their first ACC Championship since 1991, defeating Virginia Tech 38–10 in the Championship Game.[58] #15 Clemson would go on to lose to the #23 West Virginia Mountaineers in the 2012 Orange Bowl 70–33, giving up an all-time record number of points scored in a quarter (35), half (49) and game (70) in the 109-year history of bowl games.[59]

8 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

On December 3, the Tigers won their first ACC Championship since 1991, defeating Virginia Tech 38–10 in the Championship Game.[58] #15 Clemson would go on to lose to the #23 West Virginia Mountaineers in the 2012 Orange Bowl 70–33, giving up an all-time record number of points scored in a quarter (35), half (49) and game (70) in the 109-year history of bowl games.[59]

There's 1, but at least they scored some points.

Piggybacking on the Dabo comparison, that does give those of us so frustrated with Gus hope.

Remember just a few years ago when "Gameday" seemed to enjoy running stories every other week on "Clemsoning"?  Which is basically the "Gus-ing" we're living through right now.  Winning a nice number of games only to take themselves out of championship position through a handful of head-scratching losses.

I don't particularly care for Dabo, if only cuz he's a bammer, but he HAS seemed to have learned from his mistakes and grown into his position.  I keep HOPING Gus will too.  Yes, please...

Our offense scored less than 14 points:

-2 times in the last season
-5 times in the last 2 seasons
-8 times in the last 3 seasons

Going back to 2011, Clemson has scored less than 14 points only 5 times.

This is why I was asking about mind-numbing losses. Clemson doesn't have many. Our current DC gave up 70 points in a game where the offense coughed it up 4 times and still scored 33 points. They won 10 games and the ACC that season. It was Dabo's 3rd full season as head coach.

Gus went 7-6 in his third full season. Scored less than 2 touchdowns 3 times. 

Consistency. We still don't have it. There was actually a greater disparity in points scored between our wins and our losses this past season than there was in 2015.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Our offense scored less than 14 points:

-2 times in the last season
-5 times in the last 2 seasons
-8 times in the last 3 seasons

Going back to 2011, Clemson has scored less than 14 points only 5 times.

This is why I was asking about mind-numbing losses. Clemson doesn't have many. Our current DC gave up 70 points in a game where the offense coughed it up 4 times and still scored 33 points. They won 10 games and the ACC that season. It was Dabo's 3rd full season as head coach.

Gus went 7-6 in his third full season. Scored less than 2 touchdowns 3 times. 

Consistency. We still don't have it. There was actually a greater disparity in points scored between our wins and our losses this past season than there was in 2015.

The main problem has been our O problems.  However; the D needs to continue to get a lot better to become very good or elite.  Our D has been generally good the past couple of years, but not very good and certainly not elite and in certain situations, they have been poor or average at best.  I give the D credit from abysmal under Chizik and until Gus hired Muschamp.   But our D still needs a lot of improvement to be considered very good or especially elite.

wde

I am late to this party but clapping for Gus because he improved from 6 wins is a terrible case. Auburn should rarely be at 6 wins in a regular season, averaging top 10 recruiting classes. At least 7 wins and that should be the minimum for a not so great season . 8 wins are accustomed . He gets credit for 10 wins, but we also need consistency. I mean you win 6 games, you have no choice but to go up or get fired. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am late to this party but clapping for Gus because he improved from 6 wins is a terrible case. Auburn should rarely be at 6 wins in a regular season, averaging top 10 recruiting classes. At least 7 wins and that should be the minimum for a not so great season . 8 wins are accustomed . He gets credit for 10 wins, but we also need consistency. I mean you win 6 games, you have no choice but to go up or get fired. 

When is friggin Vikings coming back on.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

When is friggin Vikings coming back on.

Unfortunately, not for a while. Glad someone else picked up on the reference though.

10-2 with loses to UGA & UW in close ones. NO way we lose to UT......We will take it to Pruitt.  I think  Pruitt and Jimbo are in for some hard knocks in 2018.  I see UT at 6-6 and TAMU 7-5. We could beat either UW or UGA. There are other teams that could give us trouble, but I think the 2018 will be a spin off of our basketball team. The SEC west will be easier than in 2017 IMHO. The east will have UGA and a bunch of mediocre teams behind them. The west will have us, bammer, then a bunch of decent teams in the 8-4 & 7-5 range with OM at 4-8 and MSU at 6-6 along with Ark at 5-7.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

10-2 with loses to UGA & UW in close ones. NO way we lose to UT......We will take it to Pruitt.  I think  Pruitt and Jimbo are in for some hard knocks in 2018.  I see UT at 6-6 and TAMU 7-5. We could beat either UW or UGA. There are other teams that could give us trouble, but I think the 2018 will be a spin off of our basketball team. The SEC west will be easier than in 2017 IMHO. The east will have UGA and a bunch of mediocre teams behind them. The west will have us, bammer, then a bunch of decent teams in the 8-4 & 7-5 range with OM at 4-8 and MSU at 6-6 along with Ark at 5-7.

God I hope you're right about A&M.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to update my picks. Feeling a little more optimistic lately despite my questions about the offense.

Auburn v. Washington - win, I think our defense will keep up us in the lead here as our offense attempts to form an identity.

Auburn v. Alabama State - win, barring a melt down of epic proportions.

Auburn v. LSU - win, we're due for a dominant win over LSU. Still not a believer of coach O.

Auburn v. Arkansas - win, should be rather dominant.

Auburn v. Southern Miss - win, should be easy.

Auburn v. Mississippi State - win, I don't think it should be a terribly hard challenge.

Auburn v. Tennessee - win, should be a good game but Tennessee hasn't been too impressive to me.

Auburn v. Ole Miss - win, keeping their interim isn't the best of ideas. We should be fine here.

Auburn v. Texas A&M - win, I wish we played them earlier in the year. This will be tough if our offense isn't set by this time; which is possible with us.

Auburn v. Georgia - loss, call me a defeatist if you must but I don't believe in Gus vs. Georgia. Our win against them last year largely came from a lot of mistakes on their part.

Auburn v. Liberty - win, should be easy enough.

Auburn v. Alabama - win, I don't know how I feel about their quarterback situation but I like how we have played against Hurts and I'm not too sure that their freshman from last year won't be a flash in the pan. Oddly confident about this one.

Now, I do feel like we will drop another game for a 10-2 season which wouldn't be terrible but it wouldn't be exciting either. If we manage an 11-1 campaign we'll likely have to play Georgia in a rematch game...Hell, if we go 12-0 we'll likely have to face them in a rematch. If Georgia finishes under 10 wins it'll be the biggest choke job I've seen.

vs. Washington (Atlanta)--L
Alabama State--W
Louisiana State--W
Arkansas--W
Southern Miss--W
@ Mississippi State--W
Tennessee--W
@ Mississippi--W
Texas A&M--W
@ Georgia--L
Liberty--W
@ Alabama--L

I have 9-3 (6-2) and a bid to the Citrus Bowl. There will be at least a couple games in which the front 7 completely bails us out.

On 4/10/2018 at 10:15 AM, Zeek said:

I'm going to update my picks. Feeling a little more optimistic lately despite my questions about the offense.

Auburn v. Washington - win, I think our defense will keep up us in the lead here as our offense attempts to form an identity.

Auburn v. Alabama State - win, barring a melt down of epic proportions.

Auburn v. LSU - win, we're due for a dominant win over LSU. Still not a believer of coach O.

Auburn v. Arkansas - win, should be rather dominant.

Auburn v. Southern Miss - win, should be easy.

Auburn v. Mississippi State - win, I don't think it should be a terribly hard challenge.

Auburn v. Tennessee - win, should be a good game but Tennessee hasn't been too impressive to me.

Auburn v. Ole Miss - win, keeping their interim isn't the best of ideas. We should be fine here.

Auburn v. Texas A&M - win, I wish we played them earlier in the year. This will be tough if our offense isn't set by this time; which is possible with us.

Auburn v. Georgia - loss, call me a defeatist if you must but I don't believe in Gus vs. Georgia. Our win against them last year largely came from a lot of mistakes on their part.

Auburn v. Liberty - win, should be easy enough.

Auburn v. Alabama - win, I don't know how I feel about their quarterback situation but I like how we have played against Hurts and I'm not too sure that their freshman from last year won't be a flash in the pan. Oddly confident about this one.

Now, I do feel like we will drop another game for a 10-2 season which wouldn't be terrible but it wouldn't be exciting either. If we manage an 11-1 campaign we'll likely have to play Georgia in a rematch game...Hell, if we go 12-0 we'll likely have to face them in a rematch. If Georgia finishes under 10 wins it'll be the biggest choke job I've seen.

Washington is a toss up to me. I highly doubt they will see anything close to our defense the rest of the year, but that game is really all on Grimes in my book. If he can get the line ready, our D should be able to do what we need to win. If not... it could be a low scoring loss.

I'm with you on LSU for one reason and one reason only... Ensminger. That man has never been a quality OC.

I'm counting on growing pains for Tennessee, but I don't expect them to last very long if Pruitt ends up being a solid head coach.

A&M scares me. I know, growing pains and all, but the cupboard wasn't bare for Jimbo, and we know he will pull out all of the stops.

Georgia is a toss up in my book. It all depends on the next men up at running back. If they reload, the will be a handful, if not, we could finally get 2 in a row in the regular season.  They did lose their biggest defensive weapon, too.

I think bama is on their way down and Saban is getting tired of the game (see the sound defeat last year and the massive drop off in recruiting). I think they are ripe for the picking... we just have to show up and play our best game.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I think bama is on their way down and Saban is getting tired of the game (see the sound defeat last year and the massive drop off in recruiting). I think they are ripe for the picking... we just have to show up and play our best game.

Bama falling would be tremendous for us in recruiting. Boy I'd love to return to the 90's early 00's Bama. Still think that Dabo will swoop in though once Saban leaves.

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Bama falling would be tremendous for us in recruiting. Boy I'd love to return to the 90's early 00's Bama. Still think that Dabo will swoop in though once Saban leaves.

Yea... getting that bama back may be a pipe dream. Too much money involved for that to happen again. Still them being on a normal plane again would suffice.

Archived