Jeremy Johnson to coach at alma mater

WFE12

Former Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson joins coaching staff at Carver-Montgomery

By Tom Green

Former Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson is returning to coach at his alma mater.

Johnson joined the coaching staff at Carver-Montgomery, where he will coach quarterbacks under second-year head coach Willie Spears, the school announced Wednesday.

"Carver has done so much for me, so it's time I give back and help kids achieve their dreams," Johnson said in a post on Instagram.

Johnson starred at Carver- under former coach Billy Gresham, who stepped down last January. At Carver, Johnson was named the 2013 Alabama Mr. Football by the Alabama Sports Writers Association after he threw for 3,193 yards and 31 touchdowns while rushing for 705 yards and seven scores for the Wolverines. He finished his high school career with more than 8,200 passing yards and was a U.S. Army All-American and four-star recruit before signing with Auburn.

I'm officially the QB coach at my alma mater Carver high school!!!! Carver has done so much for me so it's time I give back and help kids achieve their dreams!!!! Thanks Wolverine nation Mr Hall and Coach Spears

A post shared by Jeremy Johnson(@6_lit) on 

Johnson was groomed for two seasons behind Nick Marshall, making spot starts as a freshman and sophomore, before being anointed the Tigers' starting quarterback as a junior in 2015. After a wave of offseason hype put Johnson in preseason Heisman discussions, the 6-foot-5, 234-pounder was benched after a disastrous three-game start to his junior season that included five touchdowns against six interceptions and a brutal road loss to LSU.

He was supplanted by Sean White but started six more games over the remainder of his career, including the final four regular-season games of 2015 and the final two regular-season outings of 2016. After losing out on a quarterback competition prior to his senior year, Johnson was largely relegated to scout team work in 2016.

Still, he finished his Auburn career with a 7-4 mark as a starter while appearing in 30 games for the Tigers. He threw for 20 touchdowns, added another nine rushing scores and threw for 2,224 yards during his four years on the Plains.

Johnson went undrafted in last year's NFL Draft but tried out for the New York Giants during their rookie minicamp back in May. After he went unsigned, Johnson began training to pursue a career in basketball overseas . He averaged 18 points per game as a senior at Carver, where he helped lead the Wolverines' basketball team to a state title in 2012 and earned first-team Class 6A All-State honors.

"Truly honored to have one of the best athletes in school history on our staff," Spears said in a statement.

Archived