Woodson New Coach

auburnphan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HE IS AUBURN FAST!!!! lol that was quick. He passes the test! haha

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I remember when Steele was hired everybody brought up the “giving up 70” and how he wouldn’t succeed here. Yes this may look “meh” on the surface, but let it play out.

Oh yeah, I know.   Memphis plays aggressively, can get a bunch of picks but will also give up big plays was what I was pointing out.  I like him being a Mississippi native as it is gonna be a recruiting area we may soon need to target more.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lets be real that move would of only been made to secure 1 recruit. This move could potentially land us many more!!! I would of been fine with either honestly though. We desperately need some better recruiters now on  offense. Kodi is having a good year over there but everyone else has underwhelmed. Our best recruiters are clearly on defense.

I don’t know anything about Woodson so I’ll reserve judgement on the hire. What I do know is Sheldon Felton would be a huge plus factor to coaches and recruits in Georgia. It’s not just about 1 recruit either, the guy would create a serious problem for the UGA staff in all of south GA and inside of I-285. Outside of Dell McGee there’s not a former GA HS coach that could recruit the state better and still get it done coaching on-field. Oh well. 

Just now, auburnphan said:

Oh yeah, I know.   Memphis plays aggressively, can get a bunch of picks but will also give up big plays was what I was pointing out.  I like him being a Mississippi native as it is gonna be a recruiting area we may soon need to target more.

The plus that he has here, is the strengths he’ll have in the front 7, but that’s just my personal opinion

2 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

I don’t know anything about Woodson so I’ll reserve judgement on the hire. What I do know is Sheldon Felton would be a huge plus factor to coaches and recruits in Georgia. It’s not just about 1 recruit either, the guy would create a serious problem for the UGA staff in all of south GA and inside of I-285. Outside of Dell McGee there’s not a former GA HS coach that could recruit the state better and still get it done coaching on-field. Oh well. 

wow! I did not know all of that. That is what we desperately need. Maybe Woodson was hired as greg browns replacement and we can still hire shelton felton eventually.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

what do you mean by that? There is a reason we all think what we do about T will.

I think he was referring to a solid coach,  who can recruit lights out, and is a positive influence/mentor to his position group.   

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

The plus that he has here, is the strengths he’ll have in the front 7, but that’s just my personal opinion

very true, i got no problems with him.  I am excited to see what he can do, still wondering about special teams.  Got a feeling that there may be more coaching changes.

Just now, lala said:

I think he was referring to a solid coach,  who can recruit lights out, and is a positive influence/mentor to his position group.   

he better be because all of that is true!!!! WOOOO!!! Love me some T will wish we could clone him and get a staff full of him!

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Who is he replacing?

nobody, we can now add the tenth assistant coach for this season.  they changed the rules last year and are allowing for one more coach starting this year

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Can these two guys coexist? How about it @GwillMac6 ? Swag and goober in same defensive backfield?

8346C73C-DF85-42E4-AADB-D2A1141AFE02.jpeg

A329E820-1663-40E7-B066-7C5D3755481D.jpeg

48-hours-nolte-murphy.jpg

27 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

His secondary has 32 interceptions in the last 2 seasons. The real question is, can he coach Special Teams? Lol

Ain't that the truth... 

I don't know anything about this guy, so I will hold reservations about him until we see how he recruits and develops talent. 

It is IMMENSELY disappointing we didn't get someone who has a clue how to coach special teams. I love me some Horton as a RB coach, but he was...well... underwhelming this season as a special teams coach. And that's the nice way to put it.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Don't underestimate it. He is a good talent developer that will take the corners which will allow Brown(a very good talent developer) to focus solely on the safety position which will need that focus next year

Just curious. Is that where you would use your 10th coach? Me personally, I want one coach coaching the entire secondary. To me it helps keep corners and safety’s on the same page. But I know you know how the secondary works so wanted to hear your opinion.

8 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Re ST - Hopefully sipping-sauce will boom 50 yard punts and little Carlson continues big brothers work with FG and KO ... then ST will feel improved.

I hope you’re right, but the real concern in ST is in covering the KOs and punts rather than in the kicking part.

16 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Re ST - Hopefully sipping-sauce will boom 50 yard punts and little Carlson continues big brothers work with FG and KO ... then ST will feel improved.

IMG_0961.GIF

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Amen and hopefully bring a talent upgrade in the entire defensive backfield since that is probably the least talented position grouping on the team overall

Maybe he can teach the young DB's how to play the ball in the air instead of playing the reciever only with their backs to the ball. One can dream....

I know nothing about Woodson. But there was so much talk that wasn't shot down about Felton coming to AU I tended to believe it was true. Is that still a possibility to happen or was that talk really just not true? That would be the 2nd time he has been heavily rumored to be headed to AU, the first being after signing day last year as an analyst. Just seems kinda strange?

The more I thnk about this hire,. The more I like it.  When Brown was hired,. My only concern was could he recruit..   I hope Woodson can recruit and if so,. We should be able to maintain a solid DB line up.   

Who are some recruits in MS we should be looking at?

Archived