Woodson New Coach

auburnphan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marcus Woodson is in his first season at Memphis in 2016, bringing more than a decade of coaching experience to his position as the Tigers defensive backs coach. In his previous collegiate coaching stints at Fresno State, Charleston Southern and Millsaps College, Woodson developed 10 all-conference players.

“Marcus is coming to us from Fresno State, where he was recognized as one of the top recruiters in the nation,” head coach Mike Norvell said. “He and his wife, Chastity, are originally from Mississippi, and Marcus played defensive back at Ole Miss.

“When I think about Coach Woodson, I immediately think of relationships – from the way he coaches as well as the way he recruits. He understands the aggressive style of play that we’re going to have in the defensive backfield coaching our corners. He will be a tremendous asset to our program, and his recruiting ties to the state of Mississippi will assist us in bringing top prospects to Memphis.”

Prior to joining the Memphis staff, Woodson spent two seasons as the defensive backs coach at Fresno State. In 2014, he mentored All-Mountain West Conference first-team defensive back Derron Smith, who was an NFL Draft sixth-round pick by the Cincinnati Bengals. Woodson also instrumental in helping lead Fresno State to a 2014 Hawaii Bowl appearance.

From 2009-13, Woodson served as the defensive backs coach at Charleston Southern University. He added the defensive passing game coordinator title before the 2012 season. In 2013, Charleston Southern finished the campaign with a 10-3 record and a No. 22 national ranking under first-year head coach Jamey Chadwell. The Buccaneers finished the season with the nation’s No. 3 pass defense. In his five seasons at Charleston Southern, Woodson developed five All-Big South Conference players.

Before his time in Charleston, S.C., Woodson served an integral role in leading Millsaps College to three-consecutive Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) championships from 2006-08. In 2008, Millsaps finished with an 11-1 record and a No. 12 national ranking. In his three seasons at the Jackson, Miss., school, Woodson coached four All-SCAC performers.

Before jumping to the coaching ranks, Woodson was a two-year starter at defensive back during the David Cutcliffe era at Ole Miss. He was a member of Rebels teams that earned four postseason trips to the Independence Bowl (1999), Music City Bowl (2000), Independence Bowl (2002) and Cotton Bowl (2003). 

A 2003 University of Mississippi graduate, Woodson earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in political science. He also was selected for the Senior Leadership Unity Council.

Prior to his collegiate career, Woodson starred at Moss Point High School, where he earned Mississippi Class 5A All-State honors in 1996 and 1997. Woodson helped lead Moss Point to the Mississippi Class 5A state titles both seasons.

He and his wife, Chastity, have a son, Carter.

Anyone with better knowledge have thoughts on this guy?  Is he a good recruiter?  Good developer?  I assume he will help with the defensive backs.  

I like it!!!!! young guy who can connect with recruits! I dig it!!! That is something we desperately need in CB recruiting. I am a fan!!! LETS GO!!!!!!!!! WAR DAMN EAGLE MARCUS WOODSON!!! Cannot wait for you to build them relationships.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Well that’s... underwhelming. 

By that bio, maybe so. Can he recruit? 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I like it!!!!! young guy who can connect with recruits! I dig it!!! That is something we desperately need in CB recruiting. I am a fan!!! LETS GO!!!!!!!!! WAR DAMN EAGLE MARCUS WOODSON!!! Cannot wait for you to build them relationships.

So no Shelton Felton?

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

By that bio, maybe so. Can he recruit? 

Don’t think he’s ever had a real opportunity. Stops at Charleston State, Fresno State, and Memphis. It isn’t exactly easy to recruit talent to. He did more with less at Memphis however. Maybe we’re taking a chance? 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So no Shelton Felton?

Unless Greg Brown leaves I don’t think there’s a spot for him assuming he’d come to coach defense. 

Sounds like a perfect combo to go with Coach Brown.  Maybe can learn a lot and show some things to our defensive staff as well.  I feel for certain he will be a recruiting machine.  

42 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Well that’s... underwhelming. 

Don't underestimate it. He is a good talent developer that will take the corners which will allow Brown(a very good talent developer) to focus solely on the safety position which will need that focus next year

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So no Shelton Felton?

lets be real that move would of only been made to secure 1 recruit. This move could potentially land us many more!!! I would of been fine with either honestly though. We desperately need some better recruiters now on  offense. Kodi is having a good year over there but everyone else has underwhelmed. Our best recruiters are clearly on defense.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Don't underestimate it. He is a good talent developer that will take the corners which will allow Brown(a very good talent developer) to focus solely on the safety position witch will need that focus next year

Guess I was expecting more. You know how I am. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Don't underestimate it. He is a good talent developer that will take the corners which will allow Brown(a very good talent developer) to focus solely on the safety position witch will need that focus next year

Amen and hopefully bring a talent upgrade in the entire defensive backfield since that is probably the least talented position grouping on the team overall

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

His secondary has 32 interceptions in the last 2 seasons. The real question is, can he coach Special Teams? Lol

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Guess I was expecting more. You know how I am. 

I do know how you are. You are way more positive than me SO THIS IS SHOCKING! lol

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well since you put it that way.... Hopefully he will teach the corners to turn their heads....sorry but someone was going to say it.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

He will be everything everyone on here thinks T-will is

what do you mean by that? There is a reason we all think what we do about T will.

Why is this shocking? The 10th coach was always billed as a younger defensive guy that would be an added recruiting asset.  This is exactly what you got.  Just because it wasn't the guy everyone thought (Felton) doesn't mean anything.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Well since you put it that way.... Hopefully he will teach the corners to turn their heads....sorry but someone was going to say it.

the Memphis secondary gave up 500 yards and 5 tds to UCF

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Glorious.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I remember when Steele was hired everybody brought up the “giving up 70” and how he wouldn’t succeed here. Yes this may look “meh” on the surface, but let it play out.

Archived