Woodson New Coach

auburnphan

3 hours ago, brad5628AU said:

Just curious. Is that where you would use your 10th coach? Me personally, I want one coach coaching the entire secondary. To me it helps keep corners and safety’s on the same page. But I know you know how the secondary works so wanted to hear your opinion.

I used to like having control over the entire secondary for the same reason. However, a few years ago we hired a younger coach to take corners and was kind of put as my assistant(he taught the position, but when we came together I was the one coordinating the two together). This freed up a lot of practice time and worked out really well. The key was communication between the two of us and really taking advantage of the time together during team drills. As much as the two positions are similar, they are that different too.  As young as we are in the back end, I like having two coaches there. It really lends itself to the possibility of better player development.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, tigereye78 said:

Maybe he can teach the young DB's how to play the ball in the air instead of playing the reciever only with their backs to the ball. One can dream....

There are different techniques taught to defensive backs for how to play the receiver and/or the ball depending on if you are "in phase" or "out of phase" with the receiver.  Check those terms out on the interwebz and you'll find plenty of information from high school to professional coaching explaining it.  Probably even some youtube videos on it as well.    

Well what do I know? Welcome to AU and hope you can also help the Offense prepare a game plan and make adjustments "during the game". Oh, and do something with our special teams and identify offensive tendencies then maybe have some time to coach Defense and recruit. And one more thing...can you call plays on offense?

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Well since you put it that way.... Hopefully he will teach the corners to turn their heads....sorry but someone was going to say it.

:clap: Well done sir. I hope he teaches J. Davis that when you do have your head turned and see the ball coming, you are allowed to cut in front of the receiver and catch it yourself instead of running past the receiver so he can catch it.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

There are different techniques taught to defensive backs for how to play the receiver and/or the ball depending on if you are "in phase" or "out of phase" with the receiver.  Check those terms out on the interwebz and you'll find plenty of information from high school to professional coaching explaining it.  Probably even some youtube videos on it as well.    

Heck, just search this site for it. I know it's been explained in a lot of post.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Maybe you will find a video of bigbird explaining it :dunno: 

Looks like this could be a good hire for the D. Just thought we were going to hire someone to coach ST. Didn't see anything saying he had any ST experience. We need someone to teach our players how to cover and return kicks.

28 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

Maybe you will find a video of bigbird explaining it :dunno: 

We should make one.  Bird with those orange feet couldn't run with my old fat body.  

One thing I think we can all start to agree on is that we can trust Malzahn's hires as of late.  Even if they aren't the big flashy names, they have all surprised us in their abilities.  Steele has been phenomenal, and many did not want him to come here.  This was Travis Williams' first full time coaching gig, and he is one of the best linebacker coaches ever to come through Auburn.  Many have given Kodi Burns grief, but this year he really has turned our receivers around and has recruited very well at a position that historically we have never really done well at (last 10 years at least).  Many do not like Herb Hand, but for what he has done in cross-training guys, getting them ready for when the line has to be shuffled due to injury is just outstanding.  Rodney Garner is just a stud in my book.  Chip Lindsey was not many people's first choice, but the guy has balanced our offense out and added wrinkles in his first year.  Expect more next year.  I honestly do not know too much about Porter or Brown to comment though.

Long story short, Malzahn knows who and how to hire his coaches, and has earned the trust we should give him.

Coaching ST should not be some mystery.....bet there are plenty of books and films and coaches to consult with.   To me seems that it is just be a matter of someone wanting it to be important enough to spend the time on it and hold some people accountable.   

AU's special teams play has never been really special as far back as I can remember but in recent years poor ST play has cost us a national championship and some very important games. ...thus it is hard to understand why it seems to get so little attention from our coaching staff...or at least there is nothing to show for that attention.   

JMO but we don't have to hire some special teams guru....we just need to tell one of the current coaches that his job is special teams and he should learn all there is to know about it and make it an asset for Auburn, and not the liability that it currently is .....or he will be moving on.  

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Coaching ST should not be some mystery.....bet there are plenty of books and films and coaches to consult with.   To me seems that it is just be a matter of someone wanting it to be important enough to spend the time on it and hold some people accountable.   

AU's special teams play has never been really special as far back as I can remember but in recent years poor ST play has cost us a national championship and some very important games. ...thus it is hard to understand why it seems to get so little attention from our coaching staff...or at least there is nothing to show for that attention.   

JMO but we don't have to hire some special teams guru....we just need to tell one of the current coaches that his job is special teams and he should learn all there is to know about it and make it an asset for Auburn, and not the liability that it currently is .....or he will be moving on.  

Special teams were fantastic under Jay Boulware. And we had Rich Bisaccia for about 5 seconds. Maybe that was a naïve hire, or maybe it was the most slept-on home run hire of Gus's career. They were adequate under Fountain, and they were instrumental to getting us to the national championship in 2013. You might remember that the greatest play in CFB history was an Auburn special teams play. Furthermore, we were one whiffed block away from pulling off an even greater special teams play in the BCSCG. I'll save my rant on the kick they ran back, but suffice to say that our kicker was hurt and that was only one play- much like the long run after the catch on their last scoring drive- in a game where our offense could have played better for most of the 2nd half.

My real point is that special teams have only really become a weakness this season. And I could see this being like our offense was in 2003, when everything else was humming and Tuberville thought maybe he could get away with the Nallsminger experiment. He had a *sick* roster on offense. Gus had Daniel Carlson. Both were wrong. Tubs fixed it, and Gus probably will, too.

Let's just hope that Legatron's little brother is half as good as he was.

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

Sounds like a perfect combo to go with Coach Brown.  Maybe can learn a lot and show some things to our defensive staff as well.  I feel for certain he will be a recruiting machine.  

Do you happen to know, who will primarily be coaching special teams next year?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Special teams were fantastic under Jay Boulware. And we had Rich Bisaccia for about 5 seconds. Maybe that was a naïve hire, or maybe it was the most slept-on home run hire of Gus's career. They were adequate under Fountain, and they were instrumental to getting us to the national championship in 2013. You might remember that the greatest play in CFB history was an Auburn special teams play. Furthermore, we were one whiffed block away from pulling off an even greater special teams play in the BCSCG. I'll save my rant on the kick they ran back, but suffice to say that our kicker was hurt and that was only one play- much like the long run after the catch on their last scoring drive- in a game where our offense could have played better for most of the 2nd half.

My real point is that special teams have only really become a weakness this season. And I could see this being like our offense was in 2003, when everything else was humming and Tuberville thought maybe he could get away with the Nallsminger experiment. He had a *sick* roster on offense. Gus had Daniel Carlson. Both were wrong. Tubs fixed it, and Gus probably will, too.

Let's just hope that Legatron's little brother is half as good as he was.

Pushing back further,

I seem to remember (when scores weren't as high) an awful lot of games/seasons where kicking/field-position were critical to AU success.

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Pushing back further,

I seem to remember (when scores weren't as high) an awful lot of games/seasons where kicking/field-position were critical to AU success.

"KU" doesn't sound... okay, isn't nearly as cool as "RBU", but Carlson, Parkey, Byrum, Vaughn (1 windy, rainy game where the other guy also missed a couple aside, dude was very good), Duvall, Etheridge... and that's leaving out some really great punters, too. We've been #bless, as the youngsters say.

14 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I hope you’re right, but the real concern in ST is in covering the KOs and punts rather than in the kicking part.

although i was being a little tongue in cheek ... a few years ago our punter (cant remember who) was sacrificing a small amount of distance for hang time and we had very few punts returned all year.  If Siposs (yes, @WFE12, I admit that was really bad) can put some great hang time and Carlson can put the KO out of the end zone, then we reduce significantly our coverage problems.  

I was as disappointed in our KO returns as anything this year.  Surely we can YouTube some return schemes.  Since Tubbs was coach, I have basically given up having a punt return game ... just glad when we dont fumble.  Quan Bray elevated my hope temporarily, but I have squashed it since.

As far as the KO team goes, if we can't cover kicks lets do onside kicks. If opposition recovers they have great field position. If we recover we get the ball in great field position.

I like to add, I type this in jest.

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Do you happen to know, who will primarily be coaching special teams next year?

I do not but will try to find out who will be the primary

Great news release on his hiring...."what I was born to do"........his reaction after his first day coaching at a small college.   

His is a fortunate guy to discover that so early in his life and to be able to see his career progress step by step.      Sounds like a good hire by Auburn and glad to have him here.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010418aaa.html

We've been talking about in phase and out of phase on message boards since Lovett was our DC and I still have no idea what it means.

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Great news release on his hiring...."what I was born to do"........his reaction after his first day coaching at a small college.   

His is a fortunate guy to discover that so early in his life and to be able to see his career progress step by step.      Sounds like a good hire by Auburn and glad to have him here.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010418aaa.html

Great sentiment, 64. Very much agree.  :thumbsup:

On 1/4/2018 at 5:42 AM, corchjay said:

I'm sure I don't know all the strategies and techniques involved but from a non coaches' perspective it seems to be a recurring issue. Catches by the opposing teams receivers when our DB's back is turned seem to be a recurring theme. If it's a coaching issue and can be corrected; it hopefully will be soon. Thanks for the suggestion corchjay. War Eagle.

Archived