Demographic Curiosity

Apraser99

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I was at that game defense was unreal that day

Doc...61? ....bet you are on the left hand side of the bell curve....more on the "young coot" side of the chart from what' I've been reading. . 

And ushering ball games as a Boy Scout?....a great experience....saw my first AU game doing that in Mobile. ...never missed an opportunity for about 4 years..

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33 (4) in May

Started at Auburn left when my grandfather passed. 

Electrical engineering at Auburn

Finished in Chattanooga in nuclear engineering

Was on the scout team my time at Auburn. Coach ciampi who at one time coached women's team wanted me to get into coaching.

I was offered to walk on men's basketball team but unfortunately it was the same year my grandfather died and I had to leave Auburn.

I have an basketball intramural championship and I lost one in the finals in football before. I've been kicked out of the ACT numerous times for dunking after losses. I think that sums up my personality. 

From Florence, west side to be exact, very proud of it, not many make it out.  lived in Madison, Chattanooga, Augusta, Bloomington Illinois, and just recently found out that I've been offered and I accepted and I'm coming back to Chattanooga.

What I'm most proud of? I can still dunk but I imagine this is the last year ? I've dreaded it for a lifetime. 

I feel so old as far as board years.......too many arguments had, I have a life to think about now lol. I'm starting to get in trouble for playing video games now.....at work I have to make some of the most important decisions.....this isn't what I signed up for

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I feel so old as far as board years.......too many arguments had, I have a life to think about now lol. I'm starting to get in trouble for playing video games now.....at work I have to make some of the most important decisions.....this isn't what I signed up for

Adulting sucks...

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And how.

I think I'm happier now than I was as a kid, but I don't have nearly as much fun. 

Other than the fact that I'm very happy in my marriage, I was definitely happiest as a student at Auburn. There's nothing like that time in life where you have freedom to make your own choices but don't quite have the sometimes crippling burden of supporting yourself/your family fully on your shoulders, yet. Of course I was extremely fortunate that I didn't have to work my way through school.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Other than the fact that I'm very happy in my marriage, I was definitely happiest as a student at Auburn. There's nothing like that time in life where you have freedom to make your own choices but don't quite have the sometimes crippling burden of supporting yourself/your family fully on your shoulders, yet. Of course I was extremely fortunate that I didn't have to work my way through school.

Guess lots of people feel that way now...wonder how they felt then?   I enjoyed school, was on a very tight budget, worked co-op most of the way and look back fondly on my times there, played about every intramural sport and had a bit of success there, hardly missed an AU game in the big sports.....But not always so fondly on the class work or social life. 

Good point from McLoof.....don't always have quite as much fun because of some physical limitations though now I have the $$ to do about anything I would like to do in the way of entertainment....other than climb those steps at JHS. 

As for happy.....gotta say that now is as good as it's been or as it gets....nice home, reasonable health for my age,  a great wife, kids doing well in life, grand kids doing great in school and being raised with solid Christian values ....all of which makes me very happy.   I guess maybe I have to consider what my life is like now is real...whereas what I remember about being at AU has been selectively culled to un-remember the bad.....like the way I sweated just to get a D in Dynamics so I could transfer out of engineering with a mostly clean slate.  So I've winnowed my Auburn memories down to the good stuff....and try to do that with all aspects of my life. 

Life is good....at least in the AU64 household..:)

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm almost fortunate that I didn't have that idyllic college experience. I totally get why folks like you and probably most on this board long for those days gone by, but I don't. I had moments and glimpses of it, and there are parts of it that I would relive in a heartbeat- going out to Webster's Lake on a Sunday afternoon in spring with a gorgeous girl and a bottle of wine was pretty much peak existence- but I was a bit of a lost soul at the time. 

Also, my daughter changed everything for me. I know it's not unique or special, but I can honestly say I never had a day at Auburn that compared to any number of days I've had with her. She's a major pain in our asses, but you don't get to see the top of a mountain unless you climb one. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess lots of people feel that way now...wonder how they felt then?   I enjoyed school, was on a very tight budget, worked co-op most of the way and look back fondly on my times there, played about every intramural sport and had a bit of success there, hardly missed an AU game in the big sports.....But not always so fondly on the class work or social life. 

Good point from McLoof.....don't always have quite as much fun because of some physical limitations though now I have the $$ to do about anything I would like to do in the way of entertainment....other than climb those steps at JHS. 

As for happy.....gotta say that now is as good as it's been or as it gets....nice home, reasonable health for my age,  a great wife, kids doing well in life, grand kids doing great in school and being raised with solid Christian values ....all of which makes me very happy.   I guess maybe I have to consider what my life is like now is real...whereas what I remember about being at AU has been selectively culled to un-remember the bad.....like the way I sweated just to get a D in Dynamics so I could transfer out of engineering with a mostly clean slate.  So I've winnowed my Auburn memories down to the good stuff....and try to do that with all aspects of my life. 

Life is good....at least in the AU64 household..:)

The "thanks" reaction is not for the nod to my comment, but just for sharing all of this. Appreciate the insight. 

Male

1975 BS in Biology work in IT

Live in Texas last 22 years was a Navy Brat so grew up in multiple different places. Actually started school in Naples, Italy went to 5 different schools in first Grade. I believe I went to 12 or 13 different schools in total.

Graduated from HS in Mission Bay, Ca.

Started playing Rugby at Auburn and continued until October of last year when I played in an Old Boys Tournament in New Orleans. Married for 32 years, Still have the Pickup Truck I took to my Wedding took 6 years to graduate as I put myself through school. Auburn is the second best thing to happen to me after my wife kids, and grand kids. Still play basketball but not sure what I do out there really qualifies as basketball anymore.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm almost fortunate that I didn't have that idyllic college experience. I totally get why folks like you and probably most on this board long for those days gone by, but I don't. I had moments and glimpses of it, and there are parts of it that I would relive in a heartbeat- going out to Webster's Lake on a Sunday afternoon in spring with a gorgeous girl and a bottle of wine was pretty much peak existence- but I was a bit of a lost soul at the time. 

Also, my daughter changed everything for me. I know it's not unique or special, but I can honestly say I never had a day at Auburn that compared to any number of days I've had with her. She's a major pain in our asses, but you don't get to see the top of a mountain unless you climb one. 

I have had a beyond fortunate life and I am extremely grateful for it. Honestly what stands out to me about life now vs life in college is stress. In college stress came in spurts and went just as fast. As an adult it's been a near constant, if it's not job (or lack of job at one point), it's health (mine or family) or major expenses or something else. In college, I lived for the next adventure. Now it kind of feels like I'm living for the next nap.  Still, like 64 said, life is good. The Mrs. and I have an amazing relationship and, when the doctor allows, adventure is still out there.

I don't have kids, so I certainly can't relate to that, but I'm sure that your time with her is amazing.

45 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I have had a beyond fortunate life and I am extremely grateful for it. Honestly what stands out to me about life now vs life in college is stress. In college stress came in spurts and went just as fast. As an adult it's been a near constant, if it's not job (or lack of job at one point), it's health (mine or family) or major expenses or something else. In college, I lived for the next adventure. Now it kind of feels like I'm living for the next nap.  Still, like 64 said, life is good. The Mrs. and I have an amazing relationship and, when the doctor allows, adventure is still out there.

I don't have kids, so I certainly can't relate to that, but I'm sure that your time with her is amazing.

Boy howdy, if I were to lose my job, my take on this would change drastically. 

Glad to hear the adventure is still out there! 

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Boy howdy, if I were to lose my job, my take on this would change drastically. 

Glad to hear the adventure is still out there! 

Maybe..... but if you haven't been fired,  you don't know what you can do when the pressure is on.  :)

I got fired when I was about 25, had a one year old baby and living in an unfamiliar city.  Turned out to be the best thing that could have happened.  Hated the job but did not have the courage to quit....I was miserable and was not doing a good job....they did me a favor. 

Of course it did not look that way for a month or so...but gave me the motivation to reevaluate my life, change career directions which ended up working out OK and the next job was a nice challenge and a joy. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Maybe..... but if you haven't been fired,  you don't know what you can do when the pressure is on.  :)

I got fired when I was about 25, had a one year old baby and living in an unfamiliar city.  Turned out to be the best thing that could have happened.  Hated the job but did not have the courage to quit....I was miserable and was not doing a good job....they did me a favor. 

Of course it did not look that way for a month or so...but gave me the motivation to reevaluate my life, change career directions which ended up working out OK and the next job was a nice challenge and a joy. 

Sad how many people (including myself) have been in that position. When I was fired from my first major job in KC I was literally allowed to stop taking blood pressure meds within a couple of weeks, because it was such a bad environment. They actually tried to deny me unemployment on the grounds that I was fired for cause, but when I fought that the judge said "they shouldn't have fired you, they should have thanked you." On top of that, I was only unemployed for 10 days, so it was a positive experience all around.

When my team was dissolved from the following position, however, it was right in the middle of the horrible unemployment stretch we went through a few years ago and I was out for about 9 months (Ironically, the company that hired me who I work for now, took 5 months from my first interview to offer me). That was not so fun, especially when the severance ran out.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sad how many people (including myself) have been in that position. When I was fired from my first major job in KC I was literally allowed to stop taking blood pressure meds within a couple of weeks, because it was such a bad environment. They actually tried to deny me unemployment on the grounds that I was fired to cause, but when I fought that the judge said "they shouldn't have fired you, they should have thanked you." On top of that, I was only unemployed for 10 days, so it was a positive experience all around.

When my team was dissolved from the following position, however, it was right in the middle of the horrible unemployment stretch we went through a few years ago and I was out for about 9 months (Ironically, the company that hired me who I work for now, took 5 months from my first interview to offer me). That was not so fun, especially when the severance ran out.

Oof. 

The uncertainty is the worst part. I was out of work for about 6 months in my 20s, somewhat by choice. Long story. Anyway, it was great for a minute, and then after awhile it was a little scary. But I only ended up being out about 6 months, so I wish I'd known that I'd be working again in 6 months, and I would've enjoyed it a lot more!

24 / Male / Florida / Teacher, Head Wrestling Coach, linebacker and running backs coach. Also, a supervisor at a waterpark during the summers (gotta make that $$$).

Played running back, linebacker, reserve safety, kick off, kick return, and punt team during high school. Stopped playing football going into my senior year so I could focus on wrestling. Had an offer to go to Virginia Tech for division 1 wrestling but the out-of-state tuition was simply too high (wrestling scholarships are not full rides). So I went to the wonderful University of Central Florida and wrestled with them. Lots of fun! Tore my bicep and labrum so now I'm just a coach and teacher at my old high school!

Went to school to be a sports journalist or broadcaster...fell in love with teaching instead! Working on my online Masters and eventually Doctorate so I can try to become a professor up at Auburn!

War Eagle!!!

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Working on my online Masters and eventually Doctorate so I can try to become a professor up at Auburn!

That's awesome! Good luck to you.

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

24 / Male / Florida / Teacher, Head Wrestling Coach, linebacker and running backs coach. Also, a supervisor at a waterpark during the summers (gotta make that $$$).

Played running back, linebacker, reserve safety, kick off, kick return, and punt team during high school. Stopped playing football going into my senior year so I could focus on wrestling. Had an offer to go to Virginia Tech for division 1 wrestling but the out-of-state tuition was simply too high (wrestling scholarships are not full rides). So I went to the wonderful University of Central Florida and wrestled with them. Lots of fun! Tore my bicep and labrum so now I'm just a coach and teacher at my old high school!

Went to school to be a sports journalist or broadcaster...fell in love with teaching instead! Working on my online Masters and eventually Doctorate so I can try to become a professor up at Auburn!

War Eagle!!!

How/ when did you become an Auburn fan?

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oof. 

The uncertainty is the worst part. I was out of work for about 6 months in my 20s, somewhat by choice. Long story. Anyway, it was great for a minute, and then after awhile it was a little scary. But I only ended up being out about 6 months, so I wish I'd known that I'd be working again in 6 months, and I would've enjoyed it a lot more!

That's true.....I was out about 6 weeks give or take....but on day one I went out and signed up for some interviews, made some appointments for the next several day.....and on day two, I went out and played 18 holes of golf.....wife thought I was nuts....but I wasn't going to mope around and golf seemed like a good way to get my attitude improved...:)

45 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

How/ when did you become an Auburn fan?

I was born in Enterprise, moved to Dothan when I was 2 but only lived there for a month or two, then lived in Auburn until I was 12 while my parents both went to college there so they could make more money for 4 hungry boys! Then my dad worked with the college for a few years as a civil engineer.

My mom was a lifelong Auburn fan and my dad, who moved from Iowa through the military, is converted though we still watch the Hawkeyes.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Working on my online Masters and eventually Doctorate so I can try to become a professor up at Auburn!

War Eagle!!!

War Eagle! Best of luck to you in this endeavor!

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's true.....I was out about 6 weeks give or take....but on day one I went out and signed up for some interviews, made some appointments for the next several day.....and on day two, I went out and played 18 holes of golf.....wife thought I was nuts....but I wasn't going to mope around and golf seemed like a good way to get my attitude improved...:)

I played WAY too much PlayStation between applications and interviews.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:27 PM, weathergeakal said:

Male

Trussville,AL

Dad & Grandad went to AU. Dont think I am going to AU due to what I want to do (Sports Broadcasting) isnt huge there. Im looking more at UGA and Mizzou.

http://www.cla.auburn.edu/cmjn/journalism/curriculum-areas-of-emphasis/broadcast-journalism/

C'mon girl!

Archived