Demographic Curiosity

Apraser99

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Mag Hall and Noble Hall back in the late 50s and early 60s would remind you of an old Motel 6....little rooms with metal furniture, 2 desks and desk lamps, unreliable steam heat that seems had not real temp control.....and a communal shower where the old cans of Gillette shave cream were valuable for shave cream battles......a new can would squirt a good ten feet or more.   The place was barely civilized....so good thing that girls did not have access.   I lived there two years .....cheap and convenient with pretty good cafeteria with a juke box that had all the latest songs....." So Fine" was played so often that the grooves were about worn through. ….and it had it's own post office where Ms McGinty was the Post Mistress.

So Fine is a great song

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, AU64 said:

:)   I think some of our posters are much nicer  in person than they are on this board....otherwise someone would likely have shot them by now...

Never have been good at typed conversations........much much better in person.?

6 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Come on now Mikey....

YOU were that "enterprising soul" now, weren't you?

;)

No, but whoever it was, I owe him/them one. Great memory of a fun happening. Almost as cool as Dr. Wiggins splatting that possum's head against the blackboard and killing it in his reproductive physiology class. That's a tale for another time.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, but whoever it was, I owe him/them one. Great memory of a fun happening. Almost as cool as Dr. Wiggins splatting that possum's head against the blackboard and killing it in his reproductive physiology class. That's a tale for another time.

Bet you learned a ton about the birds and the bees from that.  :blink:

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bet you learned a ton about the birds and the bees from that.  :blink:

Learned about Drake Infirmary. The possum gnawed on Dr. Wiggin's hand for some lengthy time. In those good ol' days, few students had cars. Lucky me, I had a third-hand '46 Plymouth coupe so I got to drive the Good Doctor, hand wrapped in towels dripping blood, from the Animal Science building to Drake.

Ok, here's how it happened. A female possum has a dual reproductive tract. Dr. Wiggins wanted to dissect one so he could display said dual tract in an alcohol jar to confound and amaze his future Jr./Sr. level students. He put out a call for a female possum and before long, one of them good ol" boys brought a live one to class in a croker sack.

Dr. Wiggins proceeds thusly "Does anyone know how to kill a possum?" Thinking the normal responses such as " run over with a car, shoot him, use a stick etc. would be simplistic, none chose to speak. "Here's how", says Dr. Wiggins: "You hold it by the tail with one hand, grab it behind the head with the other and yank! That severs the spinal cord and the possum dies a quick and painless death". The Eminent Doctor then demonstrated, except he didn't have a firm enough grip on the possum's head. His hand got dragged down into the possum's mouth and the creature went to gnawin'. The blood did flow, but soon enough, Dr. Wiggins got his hand out of the possum's mouth, then with the other hand that was holding the tail, he slammed the possum's head against the blackboard, thus killing it and splatting strange looking matter over said blackboard. Someone near the back pipes up and says "Now THAT'S how to kill a possum."

Ah, the joys of an Auburn education.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Learned about Drake Infirmary. The possum gnawed on Dr. Wiggin's hand for some lengthy time. In those good ol' days, few students had cars. Lucky me, I had a third-hand '46 Plymouth coupe so I got to drive the Good Doctor, hand wrapped in towels dripping blood, from the Animal Science building to Drake.

Ok, here's how it happened. A female possum has a dual reproductive tract. Dr. Wiggins wanted to dissect one so he could display said dual tract in an alcohol jar to confound and amaze his future Jr./Sr. level students. He put out a call for a female possum and before long, one of them good ol" boys brought a live one to class in a croker sack.

Dr. Wiggins proceeds thusly "Does anyone know how to kill a possum?" Thinking the normal responses such as " run over with a car, shoot him, use a stick etc. would be simplistic, none chose to speak. "Here's how", says Dr. Wiggins: "You hold it by the tail with one hand, grab it behind the head with the other and yank! That severs the spinal cord and the possum dies a quick and painless death". The Eminent Doctor then demonstrated, except he didn't have a firm enough grip on the possum's head. His hand got dragged down into the possum's mouth and the creature went to gnawin'. The blood did flow, but soon enough, Dr. Wiggins got his hand out of the possum's mouth, then with the other hand that was holding the tail, he slammed the possum's head against the blackboard, thus killing it and splatting strange looking matter over said blackboard. Someone near the back pipes up and says "Now THAT'S how to kill a possum."

Ashamed of myself for finding this funny!

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A good story told well. Awesome!

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Ashamed of myself for finding this funny!

What's to be ashamed? It was funny as hell! Even Dr. Wiggins laughed with the rest of the class the next day. He was pretty cool for a crusty old WW2 veteran that had suffered some permanent injuries while  fighting in Europe.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Now that's a good story..............................I have a few memories of Drake Infirmary

• 1 month later...

@Slammer1 I saw your post earlier in another topic and figured you might not have seen this thread. It may answer some of your questions about age and stuff. 

Mikey, Awesome story and thanks for giving us a walk down your memory lane.

Mikey, Thank You for sharing that story. I love reading stories like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Male

Georgia

2002 (Columbus State University), been an AU fan my whole life.

Male

Currently: Johnstown, PA

Originally: Montgomery, AL

Finishing up surgery residency and will be joining the general surgery group at EAMC. Excited to be moving back home.

• 11 months later...

I'm kinda new so I'll bite.

Male

Tallahassee, FL

Supply Chain Management '14

13 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I'm kinda new so I'll bite.

Male

Tallahassee, FL

Supply Chain Management '14

We most likely had classes together as I was Entrepreneurship and Small Family Business Major with Finance and Marketing Minors graduating in December 2013.  Both majors shared a lot of classes.

Archived