Demographic Curiosity

Apraser99

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Some of the reasons they used Huntingdon instead of Auburn: small college with less people giving them better control of the scenes, Auburn has gotten a lot bigger than the film setting, and everything else was being filmed in the same general area of Montgomery.  Another fun fact: the scene with all the flowers actually is a lot smaller than it looks.  They filmed one direction,  cut, then moved the flowers into the shot from the other direction.  Pretty cool. 

I'm sure there was no way they could have shot at Auburn, but just like moving the flowers, they could have dressed the set or used cgi to at least try to look similar. The musical at least uses a mock up of the sign in front of Samford Hall and often a picture of Samford as the backdrop.

I'm still jealous. I've always dreamed of working in the art department on movie sets.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Male

Johnson City, TN

2002 (Georgia Southern University)

I lived on Campus with my Mom in 83/84 (I was 4-5yr old) at the home management house. She got her masters in Home Economics. It was close to the stadium and I bugged the heck out of Auburn attendees to play ball with me. The old yellow plastic bat and plastic ball I carried with me everywhere. I remember riding my Big Wheel over to the stadium and to "Tigers" cage. It was a very unique situation and there probably has not been many toddlers living on Campus at Auburn for a couple of years. The orange and blue run deep with memories that last forever. One of the biggest was all the Go Bo signs all over campus. My Mom stops and asks someone, Who is Bo?  Still in disbelief to this day. She laughs about it now.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Some of the reasons they used Huntingdon instead of Auburn: small college with less people giving them better control of the scenes, Auburn has gotten a lot bigger than the film setting, and everything else was being filmed in the same general area of Montgomery.  Another fun fact: the scene with all the flowers actually is a lot smaller than it looks.  They filmed one direction,  cut, then moved the flowers into the shot from the other direction.  Pretty cool. 

They left the track that the fish ran on under the water in Tallapoosa County where Mike Gunn's farm goes down to the Tallapoosa river. They also left a big plastic stump there, he's had it in his yard as a decoration for years now.

Male 

East central Al.

Gadsden St

Both Daughters are AU Grads  Both son in laws as well. I am the youngest of three brothers. Both brothers are uat men. (Imagine growing up in the 60s and 70s. Torture but well worth it) I fell in love with AU due to an English teacher in elementary school. Great lady that loved Auburn. Not necessarily AU football...She LOVED Auburn. (Thank You Mrs McClure!!!)

Male

Denton, TX   (hometown:  Pace, FL)

class of 88

probably the biggest fan on the forum - haha

male

milton, GA (also home of brandon jacobs and ronnie brown)

hometowns -- selma/huntsville

class of 90 (finance)

last game as student was turds at home and never lost to turds while i was a student.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:55 AM, abw0004 said:

I was born in Overland Park.  Are you a Chiefs fan?

Yes, but I prefer the Panthers though....  I went to the game Saturday, man the Cheifs love to choke in the playoffs.

19 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Tiger, cool story. Where in India did you grow up. I have traveled there on business several times. 

Hi JFD.., grew up in Chennai (which used to be Madras) . Its nice little town of now over 7 million I think. It was a lot more sleepy then, but these days I can't even recognize the place sometimes. I tell people, if you love Indian food, its a lot easier to travel there. Otherwise, between the crowds of people, pollution, heat (depending on where you are), it can be rough. 

Well , let me correct myself. Was there this summer and we went and checked out many Small Eateries, really good food and a lot of Western/Indian fusion type of food. There is ton to see in India , but you need atleast a month to actually get a good feel

I know many talk about visiting India for spiritual reasons - its a country where many old religions have lived together for hundreds of years.  Literally next to each other. Its a cool thing to experience as well

1 hour ago, IndianTiger said:

Hi JFD.., grew up in Chennai (which used to be Madras) . Its nice little town of now over 7 million I think. It was a lot more sleepy then, but these days I can't even recognize the place sometimes. I tell people, if you love Indian food, its a lot easier to travel there. Otherwise, between the crowds of people, pollution, heat (depending on where you are), it can be rough. 

Well , let me correct myself. Was there this summer and we went and checked out many Small Eateries, really good food and a lot of Western/Indian fusion type of food. There is ton to see in India , but you need atleast a month to actually get a good feel

I know many talk about visiting India for spiritual reasons - its a country where many old religions have lived together for hundreds of years.  Literally next to each other. Its a cool thing to experience as well

I have spent a lot of time in Chennai.  I worked for Trimble and managed a team of software engineers there for a couple of years.  I went over for a couple of weeks at least once a quarter.  It definitely can get very hot there.  It was always an interesting trip to experience the culture.

Chromosomally Challenged (only one X)

Outskirts of Marlow, Lower Alabama

'72, '77, "88 (this one at AU), '00, '10, '17

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Chromosomally Challenged (only one X)

Outskirts of Marlow, Lower Alabama

'72, '77, "88 (this one at AU), '00, '10, '17

:timeout:

male

BA not Auburn MA Troy

Southeast Georgia

I tell people I am a double legacy, older brother and father.  My Dads rich uncle(Sam) sent him to Auburn (API) after floating around in the Pacific helping to launch planes against Tojo's buddies.  Because my father graduated from API he was able to get a job in another little town in  South Alabama and met my mom.   As a little kid I would sit in church admiring my fathers API class ring.  I would not be here without Auburn. 

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I have spent a lot of time in Chennai.  I worked for Trimble and managed a team of software engineers there for a couple of years.  I went over for a couple of weeks at least once a quarter.  It definitely can get very hot there.  It was always an interesting trip to experience the culture.

Excellent, different for sure..

1 hour ago, 57apiau62 said:

male

Dadeville, Alabama

Started to API in 1957 graduated from AU in 1962

our senior citizen thus far....congrats....

6 hours ago, IndianTiger said:

I have been to Chennai. What I remember is the crazy driving and traffic. There does not seem to be any real lanes. Huge amount of growth in Chennai. They can't build quick enough. Plus, tons of security checks everywhere yet u went. Hotels, office buildings, even doing bomb checks under the car.

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

male

Winter Park, Fl

Auburn majors in Industrial Management, History, and Geography

Played golf at AU lived at Sewell Hall 

you forgot to add my favorite bit of your story which is mortal enemies with David Langner!! first david now @bigbird do you ever play nice with anyone sir?! lol

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

you forgot to add my favorite bit of your story which is mortal enemies with David Langner!! first david now @bigbird do you ever play nice with anyone sir?! lol

After David was sucker punch Phil Gargis....then the yellow one

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

After David was sucker punch Phil Gargis....then the yellow one

road-house-knife-in-boot-o.gif

I just imagine you like swayze in roadhouse and trying to take on and fight everyone! lol. I love it! Phil Gargis?! Man this keeps getting more and more intriguing!

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I have been to Chennai. What I remember is the crazy driving and traffic. There does not seem to be any real lanes. Huge amount of growth in Chennai. They can't build quick enough. Plus, tons of security checks everywhere yet u went. Hotels, office buildings, even doing bomb checks under the car.

Lol..yeah lanes are flexible. I learnt driving in Chennai and now am totally useless after getting used to our lanes over here. Will never drive in India, thank god for Uber

Man

B'ham

'89

Originally from Anderson, SC, home of War Eagle originator.

Green Side Navy for 3 years.

7 hours ago, IndianTiger said:

Hey, IndianTiger, my kindergartner's family is from Hyderabad, I believe...and one of my closest friends growing up in Auburn was from New Delhi.  Her late father was an AU professor of sociology...a HUGE favorite among those who were blessed to have him.  I didn't...upper level classes, I believe.  We have friends who pastor churches and train other pastors near Rudrapur.  He says we have a standing invitation to come.  I was thrilled to find an Indian grocery in Birmingham over Christmas break and have some lovely "Punjabi Sakar Para" (Preeti's mom used to make it; hers is better, but this will do) for my Manvik and the rest of the class to try.  My AU freshman texted last night to say that he is loving the Aloo spicy snacks he took back with him.  Manvik's mom made me the most incredible Chicken Tikka (not Tikka Masala...that's my favorite...but am I super wimp and like it mild) and biryani right before we got out for Christmas break.  I was so touched.  There is nothing as incredible to me as getting to teach children who are from abroad.  Everyone grows!  

P.S.  Preeti and her mom used to give me the most beautiful glass bracelets.  I was so careless that I kept hitting them on things and breaking them, but I was FASCINATED by them.  As well, a sandalwood keychain that kept its scent forever.  I look forward to seeing the beauty---scenery and people---in person one day.

Archived