Demographic Curiosity

Apraser99

On 1/5/2018 at 8:41 AM, bigbird said:

Male

Texas

Molecular biology/organic chemistry

Extra: Grandfather attended and graduated API after the war. Mom was born at the infirmary on AU campus while he was there. She met and married my dad there appx. 20 years later.

Dude!!

I thought you and Golf were like ancient enemies!

Coulda' sworn he, like, let the Red Sea try to drown you or something.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/5/2018 at 10:40 AM, Metalsinger418 said:

Male

Houston, Texas

Attended Auburn 2009-2010

Graduated from Sam Houston State University in 2013

Did that used to be Sam Houston Institute of Technology?

I remember my Dad talking about old S.H.I.T.

10 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Dude!!

I thought you and Golf were like ancient enemies!

Coulda' sworn he, like, let the Red Sea try to drown you or something.

One of us is ancient...

On 1/5/2018 at 8:33 PM, api1957 said:

I can hear them practicing every home game morning from my back patio. Just to rub it in.

Thanks for the rub it in part.

You Suck.

On 1/6/2018 at 5:39 PM, jw 4 au said:

Male

‘95 grad in Civil Engineering (walked with Bo Jackson!!!)

Fayetteville, GA

Born and raised an Auburn Tiger, 3rd generation AU alum, married an AU Grad, hope at least one of my kids can go to Auburn but with the Hope Scholarship and possibly Zell Miller, something in Georgia is hard to pass up. Really struggling to stomach this national championship game. Those of us that live here in Georgia will understand, but I may, and I stress may, pull for bama for the first time ever in my entire life!!!

Don't do it!!

It's a regret you'll have forever.  I grew up at Clemson, AU Swimming. USC med school.

Everybody hates thUGA, but hating bama is a special hate.  Stick your head in the sand and hang here with us tonight and enjoy being a basketball school.  That's what I'm doing.  

What game? 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

male

Winter Park, Fl

Auburn majors in Industrial Management, History, and Geography

Played golf at AU lived at Sewell Hall 

How do you live at Sewell as a golfer?!?

Only Basketball and Football got to live there.

Been Fun ya'll.

Need to gather at a tent at a game.  Would love to put some faces to the names.

Venmo could be our friend too.

58 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Hey, IndianTiger, my kindergartner's family is from Hyderabad, I believe...and one of my closest friends growing up in Auburn was from New Delhi.  Her late father was an AU professor of sociology...a HUGE favorite among those who were blessed to have him.  I didn't...upper level classes, I believe.  We have friends who pastor churches and train other pastors near Rudrapur.  He says we have a standing invitation to come.  I was thrilled to find an Indian grocery in Birmingham over Christmas break and have some lovely "Punjabi Sakar Para" (Preeti's mom used to make it; hers is better, but this will do) for my Manvik and the rest of the class to try.  My AU freshman texted last night to say that he is loving the Aloo spicy snacks he took back with him.  Manvik's mom made me the most incredible Chicken Tikka (not Tikka Masala...that's my favorite...but am I super wimp and like it mild) and biryani right before we got out for Christmas break.  I was so touched.  There is nothing as incredible to me as getting to teach children who are from abroad.  Everyone grows!  

P.S.  Preeti and her mom used to give me the most beautiful glass bracelets.  I was so careless that I kept hitting them on things and breaking them, but I was FASCINATED by them.  As well, a sandalwood keychain that kept its scent forever.  I look forward to seeing the beauty---scenery and people---in person one day.

Wow,  I didnt take sociology so probably didnt know him. But, yeah you should plan a trip to India before it changes too much. i know what you are saying about those Shakar Paras ...they are good. You should try some south Indian food, they are distinctly different as well. While I was at Auburn, had no luck finding Indian food, some of my friends would make that trip to Atlanta to grab a bite. Enjoyed reading it ...

On 1/6/2018 at 11:06 AM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Great first post and I'll take the opportunity to say the AU Family thanks you for your continued service.

Thanks @PowerOfDixieland ?

Male

Tallahassee, FL

1982 Accounting & 1987 Veterinary Medicine

Note: My wife was born and raised in Auburn. All three of our boys have graduated from Auburn.

IndianTiger, when you come back to Auburn for a visit, there's a good spot on Opelika Road now, near Niffers. Both of the two in Montgomery are terrific. Slowly but surely, the Deep South is catching up...sure need to! ? I would love to try South Indian...will keep my eyes open.

I so get going to Atlanta for my international food fixes over the years. For the Atlanta area peeps...the current #1 budget restaurant on TripAdvisor is worth the raves.  Located downtown in the Mall at Peachtree Center (?), Aviva...means "spring" in Hebrew...Mediterranean, total fresh...owner-from-Nazareth Kameel gives some proceeds to lupus research and gives you an unheard-of welcome plus all sorts of free food. It's delicious, especially the falafel, but it is Kameel himself you will want to carry out. ?

20171121_144510.jpg

20171121_144655.jpg

20171121_144706.jpg

20171121_145023.jpg

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

It was different back in the 1800's.

@ToraGirl, check out Chai Pani in Decatur sometime. I'm not sure how much of it is South Indian, but it's not your average butter chicken-and-saag paneer buffet Indian. 

Unfortunately, Asha Gomez has closed both her restaurants. She is from Kerala and did some really spectacular- like, nationally, James Beard-recognized- South Indian food. She might still be operating in some capacity, not sure, but no more brick and mortar I don't think. 

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

@ToraGirl, check out Chai Pani in Decatur sometime. I'm not sure how much of it is South Indian, but it's not your average butter chicken-and-saag paneer buffet Indian. 

Unfortunately, Asha Gomez has closed both her restaurants. She is from Kerala and did some really spectacular- like, nationally, James Beard-recognized- South Indian food. She might still be operating in some capacity, not sure, but no more brick and mortar I don't think. 

Yeah for South Indian, my parents being from Kerala, you get unique foods that are Kerala specific. - Malabar Beef Curry, Avial (vegetable medley) . Also Chennai food thats really good are Dosa, Vada , Sambar (lentil/curry dish) etc. Not to mention the sweet stuff. 

Just now, IndianTiger said:

Yeah for South Indian, my parents being from Kerala, you get unique foods that are Kerala specific. - Malabar Beef Curry, Avial (vegetable medley) . Also Chennai food thats really good are Dosa, Vada , Sambar (lentil/curry dish) etc. Not to mention the sweet stuff. 

Oh man, you're making me hungry. There are a couple places on Lawrenceville Highway in Decatur to get dosas. And sweets. And the best samosas I've ever had (which came from, I think, the Royal Sweets shop). 

Also, I am stupidly guilty of forgetting just how diverse India is, in so many ways. Even after going to the wedding of a North Indian guy and a South Indian girl. He's Hindu, she's not. He was born in India, she was not. Etc. They had to reach some compromises on the ceremony, IIRC. 

Btw, the wedding was *awesome*. He rode in on a horse. She was stunning. They gave us refreshments during the ceremony. The dancing was incredible. I learned how to screw in the light bulb and pet the dog. I might've eaten 10 samosas.

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

After David was sucker punch Phil Gargis....then the yellow one

Back when there used to be a campus-wide boxing tournament, Gargis won the heavyweight division, I think twice. I hope your scholarship was split partially with track, you'd have needed some foot speed after sucker-punching Gargis.

12 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I was a good recruiter, aka got dates/girls and show a good time for the recruits coming in, also my best friend was a running back on the team. If a football player didn't have a roommate I could stay there. Food was very good living conditions was awful but free

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Back when there used to be a campus-wide boxing tournament, Gargis won the heavyweight division, I think twice. I hope your scholarship was split partially with track, you'd have needed some foot speed after sucker-punching Gargis.

I've told the story before but Phil was the one who threw the sucker punch not me. Yeah gargis could fight but he also had some chicken crap in him. If you get my drift

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh man, you're making me hungry. There are a couple places on Lawrenceville Highway in Decatur to get dosas. And sweets. And the best samosas I've ever had (which came from, I think, the Royal Sweets shop). 

Also, I am stupidly guilty of forgetting just how diverse India is, in so many ways. Even after going to the wedding of a North Indian guy and a South Indian girl. He's Hindu, she's not. He was born in India, she was not. Etc. They had to reach some compromises on the ceremony, IIRC. 

Btw, the wedding was *awesome*. He rode in on a horse. She was stunning. They gave us refreshments during the ceremony. The dancing was incredible. I learned how to screw in the light bulb and pet the dog. I might've eaten 10 samosas.

Funny, I was just going to mention that if you are going to India, try to get invited to a wedding. Looks like you had a ball.  People forget India is very diverse. Many religions, languages, food, dress , its a big chaos, but in a good way if you enjoy that kind off a thing

Archived