Demographic Curiosity

Apraser99

31 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

It would be a stretch to say that I'm even interesting or clever anonymously... ?

There, there.

We're Family here.

Your call is very important to us.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

It would be a stretch to say that I'm even interesting or clever anonymously... ?

:)   I think some of our posters are much nicer  in person than they are on this board....otherwise someone would likely have shot them by now...

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

:)   I think some of our posters are much nicer  in person than they are on this board....otherwise someone would likely have shot them by now...

I hope that I resemble that remark.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope that I resemble that remark.

Since I don't know you in person I am not sure...but  it is pretty likely....? 

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Sigh?....this applies to me as well.

For those of you who have mentioned getting fired, I'm with you.

Early in my career, as I was just getting started, a man at the top of our profession said to me, "Innovate. Create. Push the envelope. If you never get fired, you aren't pushing hard enough."

I've been fired twice. In both cases, I ended up the better for it, and in both cases it led to levels higher in my career. I reached a point higher than I ever could have imagined when I started out, one of the pinnacle jobs. Then did it again, except before I could be fired, I quit. No plan, no safety net, no income, no fall-back.

I am now a sole proprietor of my own consulting company, with two contracts that are basically "here's some money, create something great with it." And I'm doing that, and I am the happiest I've been in my work since that first job.

It is not a failure to be fired, unless it is for slacking off or doing nasty s..t. Use it to take the next step.

But referring back even further in this thread, I agree, my years at Auburn were the best. So much fun that I stayed another 5 years after graduating with my BA, working on the university staff, making just enough to get by, and enjoying the hippy-era times. I can't imagine a better time to be at a university than the hippie era. Auburn was awesome (or back then, far out, man).

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

I know one I would shot

Just now, augolf1716 said:

I know one I would shot

...and I know some I'd DO shots with :drink9:

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I know one I would shot

I know one that heard the shot heard round the world

On 5/30/2018 at 10:49 PM, cole256 said:

I was 25 working at krystal's. I went from being one of the smartest in all my classes to that. (No disrespect to anybody working fast food) Sometimes people would laugh at me. One day I was so frustrated and defeated I just sat out in the lobby on my break and I just broke down crying.....but all that gave me a desire to go finish college. Moved away from everybody to a city I had never been in. I had to go by faith on a bunch of things. The odds of them working out was low but I had to try. Best decision of my life. Went from that to going to talk to kids in high school. Been in the newspaper in Chattanooga, news in Illinois. Life is funny man

Proud of your story. I think you’re one of the stories/ages that surprises me the most. Hope the new job is going well!

On 5/31/2018 at 12:08 PM, RunInRed said:

Thanks for bumping this thread - not sure how I missed it first go round ?‍♂️ ...

Anywho ...

Male

Birmimgham ➡️ Auburn ➡️ Atlanta ➡️ Birmingham ➡️ South Florida

Finance, ‘04

I had no idea you were closer to my age. I graduated in ‘06 - Marketing. WDE.

14 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

...and I know some I'd DO shots with :drink9:

I'm down for shots!  House party at my place!

12 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Proud of your story. I think you’re one of the stories/ages that surprises me the most. Hope the new job is going well!

I had no idea you were closer to my age. I graduated in ‘06 - Marketing. WDE.

Mere kids

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Mere kids

I know it! But now when I go on campus I’m like, “omg they are babies and Wth are they wearing?!”

48 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I know it! But now when I go on campus I’m like, “omg they are babies and Wth are they wearing?!”

Um what's up with the shorts 

When I was in school it was the Patagonias, which were short but fully covered the cheeks. Now I'm more than twice their age, have a daughter, and am really just a whirlwind of emotions on this issue.

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

When I was in school it was the Patagonias, which were short but fully covered the cheeks. Now I'm more than twice their age, have a daughter, and am really just a whirlwind of emotions on this issue.

I’m with you man. I have 3 daughters and sometimes it’s just: ??‍♂️ 

In the good ol' days, Dean Cater's girls (she called them all, "my girls") were NOT seen on campus in shorts of any sort.

Quote: "Everyone in school at Auburn before 1970 talks about the raincoats; having to wear a raincoat even when it’s sunny is the kind of thing that sticks with you.

“That was back…when you couldn’t wear shorts across campus,” 1970 Auburn alumna Emily Perry told me when I interviewed her several years ago about her time at Auburn.  “Everybody had a London Fog raincoat because if you were going to gym class you had to have a raincoat over your shorts.”

Link for more info: http://www.alumni.auburn.edu/dean-katherine-cooper-cater/

When I first came to Auburn, fall quarter 1966, it was still hot as hell in September and here's all these girls walking around in raincoats on a sweltering, dry day. Looked crazy to me, then some kindly soul informed me that those girls in raincoats were walking to and from PE classes and Dean Cater didn't allow "her girls" to go about campus in shorts. :)

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I agree, but when I was in college, I wasn’t complaining.  The spring semester  was always my worst, studies wise. When the  females brought out the sundresses after the long months of cold misery, my heart always rejoiced. 

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In the good ol' days, Dean Cater's girls (she called them all, "my girls") were NOT seen on campus in shorts of any sort.

Quote: "Everyone in school at Auburn before 1970 talks about the raincoats; having to wear a raincoat even when it’s sunny is the kind of thing that sticks with you.

“That was back…when you couldn’t wear shorts across campus,” 1970 Auburn alumna Emily Perry told me when I interviewed her several years ago about her time at Auburn.  “Everybody had a London Fog raincoat because if you were going to gym class you had to have a raincoat over your shorts.”

Link for more info: http://www.alumni.auburn.edu/dean-katherine-cooper-cater/

When I first came to Auburn, fall quarter 1966, it was still hot as hell in September and here's all these girls walking around in raincoats on a sweltering, dry day. Looked crazy to me, then some kindly soul informed me that those girls in raincoats were walking to and from PE classes and Dean Cater didn't allow "her girls" to go about campus in shorts. :)

Wow ?

14 hours ago, AidiAU said:

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Having 9 yr old twin girls..... I can't imagine how much lower the standards are going to be in 9-10 yrs.  I may push for college "homeschooling".  HaHa...well, no, not HaHa...  Is that a thing??

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Having 9 yr old twin girls..... I can't imagine how much lower the standards are going to be in 9-10 yrs.  I may push for college "homeschooling".  HaHa...well, no, not HaHa...  Is that a thing??

I think it's called the local community college and a lot of really happy and successful people have gone that route great idea I'm really on board with this thanks man.

Archived