Demographic Curiosity

Apraser99

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think it's called the local community college and a lot of really happy and successful people have gone that route great idea I'm really on board with this thanks man.

I'm on the Mike Rowe technical/trade school train right now.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree, but when I was in college, I wasn’t complaining.  The spring semester  was always my worst, studies wise. When the  females brought out the sundresses after the long months of cold misery, my heart always rejoiced. 

Ah, spring quarter ?(when we were on quarter system). Borrow my roommates Jeep CJ and ride around campus....the lovely ladies you could meet....good times

On 6/3/2018 at 11:11 AM, aujeff11 said:

I agree, but when I was in college, I wasn’t complaining.  The spring semester  was always my worst, studies wise. When the  females brought out the sundresses after the long months of cold misery, my heart always rejoiced. 

Are we sure it was your heart?

45 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Are we sure it was your heart?

Good times were had. Better not carry anymore or else Golf’s heart will go:

HZ84yxi.gif

Obligatory “You’re my boy, Blue!!”

Hippie girls. Halter tops and hip huggers. Skinny dipping at certain spots in Tuskegee National Forest and Chewacla State Park. As one announcer said on national TV during halftime of an Auburn football game, "If you have a son, send him to Auburn." Of course, it worked the other way around as well. At that time, as my eventual wife made clear, it was the prime era for women on campus. Auburn was (and remains) a very special place.

9 hours ago, AURex said:

Hippie girls. Halter tops and hip huggers. Skinny dipping at certain spots in Tuskegee National Forest and Chewacla State Park. As one announcer said on national TV during halftime of an Auburn football game, "If you have a son, send him to Auburn." Of course, it worked the other way around as well. At that time, as my eventual wife made clear, it was the prime era for women on campus. Auburn was (and remains) a very special place.

One of the memories that I'm pretty sure will survive the booze-addled decades is of an afternoon spent next to a creek somewhere in that forest with a friend and a bottle of wine. 

9 hours ago, AURex said:

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One of the memories that I'm pretty sure will survive the booze-addled decades is of an afternoon spent next to a creek somewhere in that forest with a friend and a bottle of wine. 

Already posted elsewhere, but

by the time I got to AU we were living off-campus. Threw a taco and margarita brunch at our house one morning. Before the day was out, 5 of my wife's nurses were skinny-dipping in a cattle pond in broad daylight.

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Already posted elsewhere, but

by the time I got to AU we were living off-campus. Threw a taco and margarita brunch at our house one morning. Before the day was out, 5 of my wife's nurses were skinny-dipping in a cattle pond in broad daylight.

*furiously scribbles "taco margarita brunch" in notebook*

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

One of our favorite spots to go in the spring was a place we referred to as "Drunk Creek". Enough said....

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

One of our favorite spots to go in the spring was a place we referred to as "Drunk Creek". Enough said....

I remember going, but I don't remember how to get back. 

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Uphapee creek runs through there.  I think the Uphapee and Chewacla tie together somewhere in that area (between Auburn and Tuskegee (Little Texas)) 

anybody know anyone to drive their car up the ramps at................well you do now. Lucky for me I had an Auburn running back with me and his date in the back seat while my Hippie girlfriend was singing "Lay Down" by Melanie. Yep she had a few drinks in her. Campus police didn't say a word just laughing their ass off....true story I swear. Got tons of them

AA_S0601_1.jpg

I've got a story you'll appreciate, @augolf1716. A couple of my buddies were avid golfers. One of them got this brilliant idea to sneak into Indian Pines, at night, dredge the water for balls, use the better ones and then sell the rest, cheap. They did this a few times and it was actually working out pretty well for some fun money. About the 5th time they did this, they were in the water when they saw some flashlights coming. They bolted and hid in the woods only to see a couple of cops head right to the water. Then one of the cops whips out a ball retriever and proceeds to do exactly what they thought he was going to bust them for doing.

male

Ohio, for a week so far

still enrolled in the school of hard knocks

born in Lee County,  the 7th son of an AU Prof.....

Well if we're into relaying hippie days episodes, one of my better ones went like this: After graduation I stayed at Auburn and managed the Swine Nutrition Research Unit. Some enterprising souls stole a half-grown pig and turned it loose in one of the girl's dorms. So I get called in the middle of the night to go running through the dorm chasing the damn pig. There was a lot of hooping, hollering and squealing and the pig was only responsible for part of it. Then after I got the pig caught about 20 of them hemmed me and the pig up in a corner! I had to explain in detail, to that group of girls wearing shortie nightgowns, why I couldn't just leave the pig there so he could be the dorm's mascot. Fun times! :)

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well if we're into relaying hippie days episodes, one of my better ones went like this: After graduation I stayed at Auburn and managed the Swine Nutrition Research Unit. Some enterprising souls stole a half-grown pig and turned it loose in one of the girl's dorms. So I get called in the middle of the night to go running through the dorm chasing the damn pig. There was a lot of hooping, hollering and squealing and the pig was only responsible for part of it. Then after I got the pig caught about 20 of them hemmed me and the pig up in a corner! I had to explain in detail, to that group of girls wearing shortie nightgowns, why I couldn't just leave the pig there so he could be the dorm's mascot. Fun times! :)

Good old days?

Certainly different times.

At So.Ala., they locked up the "girls" dorms at a curfew every night, and they gave the keys and logbooks to more chromosomally-challenged (male) students (like me).

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Come on now Mikey....

YOU were that "enterprising soul" now, weren't you?

;)

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:13 AM, aujeff11 said:

Wow ?

Shoot...that was just one the many rules of the day...curfew for female freshmen,  or if you went pick up your date at one of the numbered dorms where a student at the desk called her room to announce that you were in the lobby.  I don't recall if they were allowed to hang around lobby waiting on their dates but time out and time back in was pretty closely monitored.    Repressive I guess...but it worked  :dunno:  and mostly, once the girls were back in their dorms, there were not many boys wandering around getting trouble..

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Shoot...that was just one the many rules of the day...curfew for female freshmen,  or if you went pick up your date at one of the numbered dorms where a student at the desk called her room to announce that you were in the lobby.  I don't recall if they were allowed to hang around lobby waiting on their dates but time out and time back in was pretty closely monitored.    Repressive I guess...but it worked  :dunno:  and mostly, once the girls were back in their dorms, there were not many boys wandering around getting trouble..

That stuff was still going strong when I was there in the 90s... other than the curfew (at least I don't think there was a curfew).

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I went to UA.  First dorm I stayed in was coed but the sexes were seperated by floor given the community nature of the bathrooms (yuck.) Guys could go to the female floors and did so all the time. That’s where I got most of my homework done. I stayed in honors dorms the next year and it was pretty much apartment like, and there weren’t much, if any gender restrictions then. Don’t even think there was an RA. The next years I was off campus.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

it was pretty much apartment like, 

Mag Hall and Noble Hall back in the late 50s and early 60s would remind you of an old Motel 6....little rooms with metal furniture, 2 desks and desk lamps, unreliable steam heat that seems had not real temp control.....and a communal shower where the old cans of Gillette shave cream were valuable for shave cream battles......a new can would squirt a good ten feet or more.   The place was barely civilized....so good thing that girls did not have access.   I lived there two years .....cheap and convenient with pretty good cafeteria with a juke box that had all the latest songs....." So Fine" was played so often that the grooves were about worn through. ….and it had it's own post office where Ms McGinty was the Post Mistress.

The above song not to be confused with this one which played almost as much...

Great memories.....

Archived