Are we going to sign anyone this year?

tigerman1186

I don't follow AU basketball recruiting all that close, but I remember a commit backed out when the Chuck P. stuff hit the news....I noticed we didn't sign anyone in Nov., are we going to sign anyone this year...I'm sure we'll have 2 open scholarships, because the 2 on suspension will not be coming back next  year.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appears unlikely we sign anyone at this time. The staff is solely focused on this team & not recruiting due to the still going investigation, being 3 coaches down right now, & they don't like the 2018 high school crop much.

31 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

I'm sure we'll have 2 open scholarships, because the 2 on suspension will not be coming back next  year.

Don't be so sure of that. There's a lot of chatter about Wiley wanting to come back to improve his stock because he hasn't had anything to show NBA scouts this year. If Purifoy leaves then we will have 2 open spots as we were already 1 short on schollies. If he & Heron leave the that's 3 open spots. I think a transfer or 2 is more likely than signing anyone from high school at this point.

2 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

I don't follow AU basketball recruiting all that close, but I remember a commit backed out when the Chuck P. stuff hit the news....I noticed we didn't sign anyone in Nov., are we going to sign anyone this year...I'm sure we'll have 2 open scholarships, because the 2 on suspension will not be coming back next  year.

Probably not. Makes me worried about Bruce leaving too.

-He doesn’t have a class that be’s bringing in. He may think starting over isn’t much more difficult than the situation of having to skip a recruiting class while several (Heron, Wiley, and Purifoy) are all possibly NBA bound. 

- He is doing really well right now; he is definitely rehireable.

- He’s been through a lot the past three months- months that were filled with rumors of both Bruce and the basketball team not getting the support that they deserve from the President of Auburn. That’s all the more of a reason to start over if true.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

-He doesn’t have a class that be’s bringing in. He may think starting over isn’t much more difficult than the situation of having to skip a recruiting class while several (Heron, Wiley, and Purifoy) are all possibly NBA bound. 

- He’s been through a lot the past three months- months that were filled with rumors of both Bruce and the basketball team not getting the support that they deserve from the President of Auburn. That’s all the more of a reason to start over if true.

Agree but I’d be shocked if he left. Seems like our understaff is focused solely on winning right now. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Are we going to sign anyone this year?
1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Agree but I’d be shocked if he left. Seems like our understaff is focused solely on winning right now. 

Leaving now would surprise me......he's worked hard to build this team and brought in some good kids so don't see him voluntarily leaving them or the work he's accomplished.    

If this is how we look when we are down three coaches (saw where Spencer indicated a GA was helping him with his hook shot) then maybe there were too many cooks in the kitchen. I kid....but love this team. Do wish Wiley was back on the floor.

I think so much depends on what happens with Wiley, Purifoy, and Heron. If Bantunde “Stretch” Akingbola can get reclassified to the 2018 class, I do think we’d take him. But if 2-3 of the current guys return, it could change what we do. 

My biggest concern with the roster is what we do in the 2019 class. Next year, we will have 4 seniors and possibly 5 juniors (Wiley, Heron, Harper, Purifoy, Mac). That’s a ton of upperclassmen. And if Heron and Wiley leave after their Jr year along with the seniors, we’re in a massive roster hole. And Mac has actually received some draft talk. So he might be one to keep an eye on. I think there would be a need to sign 1-2 transfers who sit out next year if the numbers allow. Again, so much will depend on the big 3 for Auburn. 

Basketball seems to be a process of continual recruiting to replace early departures ....for whatever reason. Can't afford to have a dry hole in any year.....that's the biggest problem that I see for the immediate time......recruiting with NCAA issues unresolved. 

56 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I think so much depends on what happens with Wiley, Purifoy, and Heron. If Bantunde “Stretch” Akingbola can get reclassified to the 2018 class, I do think we’d take him. But if 2-3 of the current guys return, it could change what we do. 

My biggest concern with the roster is what we do in the 2019 class. Next year, we will have 4 seniors and possibly 5 juniors (Wiley, Heron, Harper, Purifoy, Mac). That’s a ton of upperclassmen. And if Heron and Wiley leave after their Jr year along with the seniors, we’re in a massive roster hole. And Mac has actually received some draft talk. So he might be one to keep an eye on. I think there would be a need to sign 1-2 transfers who sit out next year if the numbers allow. Again, so much will depend on the big 3 for Auburn. 

That's why we have to rack up in the 2019 class. We got to get past this investigation 1 way or the other w/ no NCAA restrictions to Bruce and finish in the top half of the SEC this season on the court. If we do and players go pro and get drafted then Pearl can say you can come to AU to play winning basketball & be developed for the NBA.

Coaches have quit recruiting for an entire class?  Okay, but recruiting is not a one year thing. Are they recruiting 2019 kids?  Because if not then I fear the future.

10 hours ago, AUBourne said:

Coaches have quit recruiting for an entire class?  Okay, but recruiting is not a one year thing. Are they recruiting 2019 kids?  Because if not then I fear the future.

I don’t think they’ve quit recruiting. I do think they’re at a disadvantage right now as @ellitor said. Between the staff shortages, the investigation, and the season in full swing, it’s just not ideal for recruiting. And the 2018 class just isn’t as strong as 2019. I think we’re still recruiting that class. I think we had settled on the fact that EJ Montgomery would be our only recruit for the ‘18 class, and that didn’t work out. So, I think we’ve passed on this class. 

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Leaving now would surprise me......he's worked hard to build this team and brought in some good kids so don't see him voluntarily leaving them or the work he's accomplished.    

Three months ago we didn’t even know if he was going to be our coach or not, so I wouldn’t be surprised either way. Being three coaches short and skipping a whole recruiting class, you can argue that the future isn’t set at all and that Person screwed up his “built” team 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Three months ago we didn’t even know if he was going to be our coach or not, so I wouldn’t be surprised either way. Being three coaches short and skipping a whole recruiting class, you can argue that the future isn’t set at all and that Person screwed up his “built” team 

We replaced CP...and the suspended coaches were doing video analysis work and I bet he has GAs doing that work now.  I am thinking the coaching situation is not that bad with BP , SP and the new guy on the bench.   

Just now, AU64 said:

We replaced CP...and the suspended coaches were doing video analysis work and I bet he has GAs doing that work now.  I am thinking the coaching situation is not that bad with BP , SP and the new guy on the bench.   

I don’t know. I’m just going by E saying we are three coaches down. 

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t know. I’m just going by E saying we are three coaches down. 

Understand....and I am not sure he us right which is why I raised the point. 

The people were suspended but no indication that alternative plans could not be arranged temporarily.  

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Understand....and I am not sure he us right which is why I raised the point. 

The people were suspended but no indication that alternative plans could not be arranged temporarily.  

Why can’t you just let me melt in peace? :poke:

15 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I was feeling better about things recently especially after Bruce said he wanted to end his career at Auburn. 

But after reading your post I'm not feeling so great. 

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The suspended coaches were doing more than analyzing videos FTR. They also helped with recruiting and Scouting other opponents.

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I guess they could but Bruce made it clear after Person was let go & the other 2 suspended that he was not going to do that. He was going to focus almost solely on this team with the staff he has.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I guess they could but Bruce made it clear after Person was let go & the other 2 suspended that he was not going to do that. He was going to focus almost solely on this team with the staff he has.

Thought he hired the guy from Auburn after CP was fired.....still has the same number of teaching coaches doesn't he?     I'm sure the recruiting is damaged but I'm of the view its hurt more by the cloud hanging over the AU program than the suspension of a couple coaches.   Either way......hard to see that we sign a top player or two until the NCAA stuff is done. 

PS....I guess that's his call ....but he sure has the option to use some other / lower level analysts to do the scouting work.....and hope he will do so...because there is no reason for him to not take advantage of other opportunities that would help him win some games. . 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Thought he hired the guy from Auburn after CP was fired

Nope. Moved Prewit up from Director of Basketball Ops.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

still has the same number of teaching coaches doesn't he?

That's not the focus here. The discussion is recruiting.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I'm of the view its hurt more by the cloud hanging over the AU program than the suspension of a couple coaches.

That's a given & no one has said or implied other wise.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

PS....I guess that's his call ....but he sure has the option to use some other / lower level analysts to do the scouting work.....and hope he will do so...because there is no reason for him to not take advantage of other opportunities that would help him win some games. . 

He has said in at least 2 pressers that the on court coaches, has split the off court duties such as Scouting, amongst them selves. There has been no staff added to help with basketball Ops or off court duties.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Moved Prewit up from Director of Basketball Ops.

That's not the focus here. The discussion is recruiting.

That's a given & no one has said or implied other wise.

He has said in at least 2 pressers that the on court coaches, has split the off court duties such as Scouting, amongst them selves. There has been no staff added to help with basketball Ops or off court duties.

I'm good with all you say....just noting that some (including you I think) have used a comment of "being 3 coaches down " which seemed to offered as a reason for future recruiting problems...... which I don't buy.    There are other ways to handle things and hoping that's what is being done. ...including recruiting contacts. 

Sounds like he has done what would be done in most companies after a layoff or cut back.....those remaining suck it up, divide up the work, set priorities and do what needs doing.   Unless we hear otherwise, it's his call not to supplement staff duties in some way.   If he is unimpressed with the next class of HS seniors, that is a different issue. 

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm good with all you say....just noting that some (including you I think) have used a comment of "being 3 coaches down " which seemed to offered as a reason for future recruiting problems...... which I don't buy.  

Not what I was saying. When I say 3 coaches down I'm not just talking on the court stuff. Off the court personnel, not including secretaries & student managers, are referred to as coaches in the offices as well. Never said nor implied it was an issue with future recruiting . I'm saying being 3 personnel/coaches down along with the investigation is why the remaining staff is pretty much solely focused on this team right now & pretty much not recruiting for the current class, plus Bruce doesn't like the 2018 high school talent pool much anyway.

Sounds like he has done what would be done in most companies after a layoff or cut back.....those remaining suck it up, divide up the work, set priorities and do what needs doing.   Unless we hear otherwise, it's his call not to supplement staff duties in some way.  

Pretty much what I said all along.

If he is unimpressed with the next class of HS seniors, that is a different issue. 

Next as in the 2019 class, no. He likes that class.

As I understand it, we are not necessarily out of the race for EJ Montgomery. He opened up his recruitment when the CP stuff happened but I would assume that a successful season and a clear up of all this would put him back on track.

Archived