Are we going to sign anyone this year?

tigerman1186

20 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

As I understand it, we are not necessarily out of the race for EJ Montgomery. He opened up his recruitment when the CP stuff happened but I would assume that a successful season and a clear up of all this would put him back on track.

I’d be shocked if Montgomery decides to come to Auburn. Since anything is possible, I won’t say it isn’t going to happen. His decommitment is a lot deeper in the Auburn athletic department than just the men’s basketball team and the Chuck Person saga. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, boomstick said:

I’d be shocked if Montgomery decides to come to Auburn. Since anything is possible, I won’t say it isn’t going to happen. His decommitment is a lot deeper in the Auburn athletic department than just the men’s basketball team and the Chuck Person saga. 

How do you know what his decommitment pertains to? I ask this respectfully.

5 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

How do you know what his decommitment pertains to? I ask this respectfully.

A friend of mine had a relative on the women’s basketball team. 

8 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

As I understand it, we are not necessarily out of the race for EJ Montgomery. He opened up his recruitment when the CP stuff happened but I would assume that a successful season and a clear up of all this would put him back on track.

Per all AU sources I've seen AU is out for EJ FWIW.

12 minutes ago, boomstick said:

A friend of mine had a relative on the women’s basketball team. 

Oh yeah. That situation....AU is definitely out for EJ then.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

What does this mean?

EJ's sister was on the team and there were major issues. I can't say more than that because I don't know what if anything is public on it.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

EJ's sister was on the team and there were major issues. I can't say more than that because I don't know what if anything is public on it.

Fair enough, thanks.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

nothing public at all, i searched this morning to see if there was anything that could be shared to help out, nadda.

16 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

What does this mean?

There were issues on the women’s basketball team that significantly impacted EJ’s recruitment and commitment. Like @ellitor said, I don’t know that any of it is public and would be considered rumor. 

3 hours ago, boomstick said:

There were issues on the women’s basketball team that significantly impacted EJ’s recruitment and commitment. Like @ellitor said, I don’t know that any of it is public and would be considered rumor. 

Thanks.

We need everyone including Wiley to come back next year if we are to keep competing for tournaments. Watching Bama’s freshmen and one sophomore turn their dull offense into a decent one is scary. And they didn’t even have Sexton. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ll bump this since I posted in the wrong thread earlier.  Any news of recruits warming to Auburn with the Aumazing season the guys are putting together?  I’d have a hard time imagining Bruce going anywhere with the NCAA stuff hanging over the program currently. If another team hired him away and then he was implicated in some ncaa wrong doing he’d be sabotaging 2 schools.  I’d compare Bruce to pre call girl Freeze.  Auburn won’t fire him unless they have to and he’s too dangerous to be swooped up by another program.

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’ll bump this since I posted in the wrong thread earlier.  Any news of recruits warming to Auburn with the Aumazing season the guys are putting together?  I’d have a hard time imagining Bruce going anywhere with the NCAA stuff hanging over the program currently. If another team hired him away and then he was implicated in some ncaa wrong doing he’d be sabotaging 2 schools.  I’d compare Bruce to pre call girl Freeze.  Auburn won’t fire him unless they have to and he’s too dangerous to be swooped up by another program.

Not really. Supposedly, the coaches aren’t focused on recruiting right now. Focused on the season. We had a big group of kids in a couple weeks ago. Don’t think Bruce will go anywhere. They will get after the 2019 kids this spring and summer and hope to have some guys locked down to sign by November. Several factors are involved (the pending investigation, Bruce’s future, the roster uncertainty/needs, somewhat short-staffed, no weekend games to visit lately). 

I would expect some recruiting info to come out after the season once the coaches get out more. 

So we have no one coming in?

I hope they are pretty comfortable that no one is leaving early after this year.  Would hate to have a big gaping hole in the line up and no prospects to help fill it.

I was thinking/hoping that 5 * PG that committed to uga might reconsider us if Fox gets let go which i think is pretty likely. Hasten might have been his name? Don't know if that ship sailed as well

18 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I was thinking/hoping that 5 * PG that committed to uga might reconsider us if Fox gets let go which i think is pretty likely. Hasten might have been his name? Don't know if that ship sailed as well

Ashton Hagans

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

I hope they are pretty comfortable that no one is leaving early after this year.  Would hate to have a big gaping hole in the line up and no prospects to help fill it.

We have a commitment from Stretch Akingbola. I believe we’re hoping he can re-classify to the 2018 class. He’s in the same mold as Mac and Spencer. 

We were only going to take one person this year due to the roster makeup right now. Originally, that was EJ. Now, that’s Stretch if we can get him in. Let’s assume the guys people thought might leave after this year leave (Heron, Purifoy, Wiley). That leaves 9 scholarship guys (10 if Stretch is in the 2018 class). 

PG: Harper, Mitchell

SG: Brown

SF: Doughty, Dunbar

PF: Murray, Chuma

C: Mac, Spencer, Stretch 

We might take a grad transfer or two to make sure we have depth in case of injuries and a regular transfer to bridge the gap for that 2019 class. My guess is we try to find another combo guard who can shoot and a PF/C. 

The 2019 class is extremely important because of how many guys we lose off next year’s team. We probably need 4 freshmen and 1-2 transfers. Heron, Wiley, and Purifoy staying next year might actually make the future classes sketchy because we wouldn’t be able to take any transfers this spring to sit out a season and be ready for 19-20 because we wouldn’t have the spots to give. That means we’d likely have to take a bunch of freshmen and grad transfers (if available).

12 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Samir Daughty will be eligible. Also if Wiley & Danjel are the only departures what high quality transfer or Grad Transfer wouldn't want to come in to help the roster out in the short term?

13 hours ago, gravejd said:

UGA is getting 5* basketball recruits now?! Lord help.

3 minutes ago, boomstick said:

They currently have 2 committed for the 2019 class.

That might be the only thing that saves Fox's job IMO

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That might be the only thing that saves Fox's job IMO

There are UGA fans that are actually saying that. Would be a poor decision for them IMO. I think they're better off in the long run to bring in a new coach and see if he can retain those guys than to keep Fox. Fox isn't going to win big at UGA going forward, not with how strong the SEC is becoming in basketball. IMO, Like Andy Kennedy, he was a good coach in the SEC when the conference wasn't very good at basketball.

Archived