Bracket Projections Talk

ellitor

@ellitor do you know how they chose the regions each plays in?  I can see the 1 seeds fitting in to their geographical region, but what of the non-top seeds? 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, AUBwins said:

@ellitor do you know how they chose the regions each plays in?  I can see the 1 seeds fitting in to their geographical region, but what of the non-top seeds? 

Well they use an S curve for the overall tournament. The higher you are on the S curve the higher your chances of not having to travel as far. Only 2 top seeds can play at the same location.  Also the conjoining 2nd round match up has to travel & play in the same city as its top 4 seed counterpart.

Here are the 1st round host cities

Pittsburgh
Charlotte
Nashville
Dallas
Whichita
Detriot
San Diego
Boise

Using the top 4 seeds from ESPN's most recent bracket here how the teams match up to the cities:

1 Seeds: Nova (Pittsburgh), UVA (Charlotte), Duke (Charlotte),  Purdue (Detroit)   Charlotte is full
2 Seeds: UNC (Nashville), Kansas (Whichita), OU (Whichita), Mich St (Detriot)    Detroit  & Whichita are full
3 Seeds: WVU (Pittsburgh), Whichita (Dallas: Can't play @ home in Whichita), Texas Tech (Dallas), Xavier (Nashville)   Nasville, Pittsburgh, Dallas are full
4 Seeds: Zona (San Diego), AU (San Diego), Cincy (Boise),  Clemson (Boise)    San Diego & Boise are full

There are 4 Regional brackets played in the West but only 1 West team is a top 4 seed so 2 teams from the Southeast & Cincy would have to travel West.

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well they use an S curve for the overall tournament. The higher you are on the S curve the higher your chances of not having to travel as far. Only 2 top seeds can play at the same location.  Also the conjoining 2nd round match up has to travel & play in the same city as its top 4 seed counterpart.

Here are the 1st round host cities

Pittsburgh
Charlotte
Nashville
Dallas
Whichita
Detriot
San Diego
Boise

Using the top 4 seeds from ESPN's most recent bracket here how the teams match up to the cities:

1 Seeds: Nova (Pittsburgh), UVA (Charlotte), Duke (Charlotte),  Purdue (Detroit)   Charlotte is full
2 Seeds: UNC (Nashville), Kansas (Whichita), OU (Whichita), Mich St (Detriot)    Detroit  & Whichita are full
3 Seeds: WVU (Pittsburgh), Whichita (Dallas: Can't play @ home in Whichita), Texas Tech (Dallas), Xavier (Nashville)   Nasville, Pittsburgh, Whichita are full
4 Seeds: Zona (San Diego), AU (San Diego), Cincy (Boise),  Clemson (Boise)    San Diego & Boise are full

There are 4 Regional brackets played in the West but only 1 West team is a top 4 seed so 2 teams from the Southeast & Cincy would have to travel West.

Thank you for the thorough explanation. That makes a lot of sense. 

Right now, the SEC has 8 teams in with USCe in the last 4 out. Would be awesome if we could get 9 teams in. 

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Right now, the SEC has 8 teams in with USCe in the last 4 out. Would be awesome if we could get 9 teams in. 

With Alabama being left out of course.

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

After the past 5 years I'm doing cartwheels for 8 teams.

New Bracket projections for the early week. ESPN still has us a 4 seed, this time in Boise, CBS still a 3 seed, & Bracket Matrix up to a 3 seed from a 4 seed.

All these projections are great but we still have a long way to go in our SEC season and how we do there will determine where we end up.

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

All these projections are great but we still have a long way to go in our SEC season and how we do there will determine where we end up.

Quoting Musburger to Dan Fouts in Waterboy since I can't find a gif of it, "We know. We know."

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

Quoting Musburger to Dan Fouts in Waterboy since I can't find a gif of it, "We know. We know."

Couldn't find the gif of "we know", just the "i know"

Last night during the Mizzou game, the announcers made a comment that seemed to insinuate that Auburn had a much easier path to the tourney than Mizzou for the rest of the season.  They might have meant "given their records," but I looked at Auburn's remaining schedule, and their are no easy wins.  We ARE better, IMHO, than almost all of them, but we gotta stay sharp and healthy.  WDE.

4 hours ago, ausoldiergrad said:

Last night during the Mizzou game, the announcers made a comment that seemed to insinuate that Auburn had a much easier path to the tourney than Mizzou for the rest of the season.  They might have meant "given their records," but I looked at Auburn's remaining schedule, and their are no easy wins.  We ARE better, IMHO, than almost all of them, but we gotta stay sharp and healthy.  WDE.

No question ours is tougher. We have 8 games left versus potential tourney teams while they have 5. And yes they put it in the context of AU is virtually in while Mizzou has work to do to potentially stay in.

Updated ESPN & CBS bracketologies are out. ESPN still has AU a 4 seed in Boise, this time in the South region.

CBS moves AU back up to a 2 seed & looks to be #6 overall. They are in the midwest region & my guess would be 1st 2 rounds in Nashville.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Updated ESPN & CBS bracketologies are out. ESPN still has AU a 4 seed in Boise, this time in the South region.

CBS moves AU back up to a 2 seed & looks to be #6 overall. They are in the midwest region & my guess would be 1st 2 rounds in Nashville.

Can I trade that CBS projection for a 3 seed in the South?  I would love a shot to play the 2nd weekend in Atlanta.

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Can I trade that CBS projection for a 3 seed in the South?  I would love a shot to play the 2nd weekend in Atlanta.

Wouldn't have to move to a 3 seed. Could flip AU & Xavier as 2 seeds putting AU in the South.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wouldn't have to move to a 3 seed. Could flip AU & Xavier as 2 seeds putting AU in the South.

True.  I live 80 minutes from San Antonio, so am going to the Final Four either way.  Would lose my mind if we somehow made it (not that I'm expecting it).

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

True.  I live 80 minutes from San Antonio, so am going to the Final Four either way.  Would lose my mind if we somehow made it (not that I'm expecting it).

I would meet you there. 

Dinner is on me...La Fonda, Rosario's, or Teka Molino.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I would meet you there. 

If you're paying, you pick.  I'm in!  

Our plan is to get there early on Saturday and hang out all day, take in the festivities, and then head to the dome.  Tickets will be nosebleed, but I just want to get in for the experience.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you're paying, you pick.  I'm in!  

Our plan is to get there early on Saturday and hang out all day, take in the festivities, and then head to the dome.  Tickets will be nosebleed, but I just want to get in for the experience.

If we make it, I'll be there.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I would meet you there. 

Love Rosario's salsa. Used to live down the street from there in King William. El Mirador isn't bad either. 

The Filling Station right near there is a great spot to grab a brew and chill on week night although everyone loves the Friendly Spot. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Jerry Palm is taking the opposite of the Music City Bowl approach with the basketball team. 

That would be completely nuts!  Love it. 

New brackets out yesterday. ESPN moved AU up to a 2 seed in the East. 1st 2 rounds in Nashville. CBS kept AU a 2 seed but moved us to the South. If AU were to keep winning in the Tourney that would be Nashville to ATL to San Antonio. Bracket Matrix moved AU up to a 2 seed.

Archived